Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Trying to nail a sound in NI massive

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:26 pm

sorry if this isnnt in the right section.

anyone use massive and ableton?

im trying to figure out a sound, so i can know how to make it. im new to massive, clearly!

the sound is from korns get up song. its right at the chorus.

i have an ableton file. im wondering if i could send it to someone, you can see what ive done, and maybe u could send that file back, with how u would make that sound. i cant seem to nail it 100%.

anyone really good with massive?

cheers!
frypot

Postby Augment » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Post up a video with the time that the sound occurs, and it'll be easier to help you. Lots of sounds in that song
Augment

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:50 pm

im guess the sound at 41 seconds would be the easier part. the would seem to be just a straight up wobble, right?

and then the part from 1:08 - 1:15. there seems to be more at play in this part. auto filters opening and closing, or lfo being faster and slower rate?
frypot

Postby Augment » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Augment

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:42 pm

daaaaaaammmm! thats awesome dude!

u clearly know ur instrument!

how many diffrent things are going on in that?
frypot

Postby Augment » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:47 pm

haha, just 3 synths over some of the stems from the song :p
Want me to write how every synth sound is made?
Augment

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:53 pm

what would be easiest? emaling the project file? or doing a video? i know u young whipper snappers are always ready to post vids......whatever is easiest for you!
frypot

Postby Augment » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Haha, I'll just write it out.
Here's the sounds on their own.
https://soundcloud.com/blinkesko/get-up-synths-ting/s-p1Izt
Marked off sound 1, 2 and 3.

Sound 1 is just 2 saws in massive, voices put to six with some pitch cutoff. Envelope on the pitch, one -17, onne -16. Some white noise, classic tube and dimension expander aswell.

Sound 2 is 3 oscillators: Digigrain 2, Digigrain 1 and Crude. Here's a picture showing the automation inside massive. What's not on the pic: Restart via gate is on, dimension expander size is at 0 and dry/wet at 50%. High shelf boosted a bit in the EQ section, and a bit of boost @ 2 oclock on the frequency knob.

Sound 3 looks like this in massive
Used automation clips on the cutoff, it looks like this (yellow clips) :
As you see from this, there's also a lowpass filter on it, with the dry wet getting automated in the blue clip, and the cutoff in the red :)

Think that's it!
Augment

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 pm

thats awesome, ur some kinda genious...how would u know which osilcators to select (square -saw, crude, grain etc etc)? does learning this instrument entail know what each one of those sound like?

this is not like a guitar at all eh? u hear a sound, u match it on guitar, and voila! this seems to be much more in depth and complex....perhaps out of my league i would say! i hope not! how did u learn this, any tuts u can remcomend that u used?

i hate to ask anymore, but could u put each separate synth on sound cloud, so that way i can make sure i have set the 3 massives set up right?

and thanks man, thats uber nice of u to take time to do that...although it did not seem to take u too long to dissect that, and thats crazy!
frypot

Postby Augment » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 pm

frypot wrote:thats awesome, ur some kinda genious...how would u know which osilcators to select (square -saw, crude, grain etc etc)? does learning this instrument entail know what each one of those sound like?

this is not like a guitar at all eh? u hear a sound, u match it on guitar, and voila! this seems to be much more in depth and complex....perhaps out of my league i would say! i hope not! how did u learn this, any tuts u can remcomend that u used?

i hate to ask anymore, but could u put each separate synth on sound cloud, so that way i can make sure i have set the 3 massives set up right?

and thanks man, thats uber nice of u to take time to do that...although it did not seem to take u too long to dissect that, and thats crazy!

Well these are fairly common sounds, nothing out of the ordinary complex, so it didn't take that long.
I've used massive for like 3 years now I guess, so I know alot of the sounds. And no, not anything like a guitar haha. And any tutorials on youtube that explain the general concepts of the synth is good, then you experiment on your own from there, I'd say. (Hint, get to know all the filters)

Not sure if I understood this question?
Augment

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:06 pm

blinkesko wrote:
frypot wrote:thats awesome, ur some kinda genious...how would u know which osilcators to select (square -saw, crude, grain etc etc)? does learning this instrument entail know what each one of those sound like?

Well these are fairly common sounds, nothing out of the ordinary complex, so it didn't take that long.
I've used massive for like 3 years now I guess, so I know alot of the sounds. And no, not anything like a guitar haha. And any tutorials on youtube that explain the general concepts of the synth is good, then you experiment on your own from there, I'd say. (Hint, get to know all the filters)

Not sure if I understood this question?

well u have 3 tracks, each with a massive on it. sound 1 , 2 and 3. can u separate each sound, so i can hear how each synth sounds individually?
frypot

Postby frypot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:28 pm

maybe i am looking at the diargram wrong,as i dont know your daw
frypot

Postby Augment » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Here's the sounds played with some space between them :)
https://soundcloud.com/blinkesko/get-up-remake-synths/s-E8e3k
Augment

Postby frypot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 am

ur only 17 years old? sh!t thats crazy! i sent u a pm dude lemme know what u think
frypot

Postby Augment » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:44 am

'Only' 17 haha, feels like a lifetime to me!
[+] Spoiler
ba-dum tss :6:
Augment

Postby frypot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:01 am

i understand man, ur a good dude!

do u use ableton?

my synths dont sound quite like urs, can u send the .ksd files or wahtever they are called? i have the newest version of massive
frypot

Postby Augment » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 am

Never really gotten the whole ableton flow, only tried it a few times. I'm currently on FL Studio, it has the perfect workflow for me.
Augment

Postby frypot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:58 am

f&*K! its sooo close, but yet so far. how can i spend all day and not get a 14 second clip right?

is there someone on here that can do all this on ableton and send me a project file? i would pay for that file if someone could nail it like the above, in ableton
frypot

Postby Augment » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:44 am

Haha gawd, forgot to mention that there's a bitcrusher on sound 3 with 26 bit depth i think, I can check it out later
Augment

Postby bennyfroobs » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:27 pm

frypot wrote:f&*K! its sooo close, but yet so far. how can i spend all day and not get a 14 second clip right?

is there someone on here that can do all this on ableton and send me a project file? i would pay for that file if someone could nail it like the above, in ableton

stop cheatin

youll never learn if u just buy project files off ppl

make ur own synths :lol:
TopManLurka wrote:FTR, requirements for being a 'head':

-you have to be youngsta
-you must have been in that infamous room of ten people.
-a DMZ release is preferable but not necessary.
-please note that being youngsta is mandatory.
bennyfroobs

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Next

Return to Sound Design