Dungeon sweeping mid range bass "growl"

JohnNada80

Dungeon sweeping mid range bass "growl"

Post by JohnNada80 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I know there's already a massive thread that probably covers some of the techniques I'm looking for, but I've had a flash of inspiration and need to get this sound down ASAP, before I lose enthusiasm and give up on my track altogether.

Basically, the sound I am hoping to create is:

1:09, 1:14, 1:16 etc

0:55, 0:59, 1:03 etc

I'm pretty sure it's just a reese bass with automated filters, but I'm a bit of a newbie, so some step by step tips on how to create this sound, from the reese bass to how exactly I need to automate the filters, to which effects I should use and which order I should apply them in, would be much appreciated. I realise there are probably a load of different ways to achieve this sound but which techniques would the more experiences producers use. I use Cubase and Massive...

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by JohnNada80 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skins345669

Re: Dungeon sweeping mid range bass "growl"

Post by skins345669 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:05 pm

i will be watching this one closely

ehbes

Post by ehbes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Paypal me $2 for a .wav of Midnight
https://soundcloud.com/artend
Dead Rats wrote:Mate, these chaps are lads.

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Play a deep sine wave with saw-wavey sounding stuff over it. For the first one, try Massive's Modern Talking.

Try an envelope (and maybe also an LFO) on the filter.

There might be some saturation after the filter.

ArrenMog

Post by ArrenMog » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 pm

It really isn't that hard to create something like this it's your standard dungeon reese bass. Like ehbrums1 said, that thread is a very useful tool, read through that a couple of times myself haha. I'll give you a brief run down of how i'd go through making a reese for a track. Also big up, another cubase user! there arn't many of us it seems haha.

If you're using massive then load up three basic saw waves, leave one at 0 pitch, the second detune -0.10 to -0.15 and detune the third by the same amount in the opposite direction.

Personally here I like to use massive's 2 filters and load up two double notch filters and assign a different lfo to each one with a pretty slow rate (the lfo should make a complete oscillation around every 4 - 8 bars, tbh though it's really down to personal preference and what you like and are aiming for) play around with the position of the cut off point of the filters and the range that the lfo's oscillate the cut off point to and from until you find somewhere that gives the reese some nice movement and just sounds nice, I'd tend to have one working the low range (not the fundamental sub note though if you can avoid it) and one working the hi end. These double notch filters will help to give a lot more movement and dynamics to the sound, makes it sound less static, amateur and cheesy, more sick haha.

at this point i'd then bounce to audio an 8 bar long, one note (I like F#) recording of the reese.

It's also worth mentioning that throughout the whole creation of this sound, just base it on one note (like I said, I like to use F#), changing note while making a bass sound will heavily effect the way filters act over the harmonics of your bass sound so If you just bass the sound on one note, you don't have to worry about it.

now load this audio bounce of your reese into a sampler, if you don't have one then i'd suggest shortcircuit, it's free and better than most and does everything you could ever want with a sampler.

Now you get to the fun part. set yourself up a long 16 or 32 long loop of your reese repeating in your sampler on the same note. Add a low pass filter to the sound and draw in some automation using the pencil tool (even better if you have a MIDI keyboard with some knobs or sliders use them for a more organic and controlled sound). make some short wubs, long wubs, double wubs, low frequency wubs, stabby wubs, all the wubs you could ever dream of haha.

It's worth noting that at this point do not try and make the automation fit in time with your song, solo the reese and just make some sick sounds haha.

I even find it good to make a couple of different pure sub sections with the low pass filter set low with slight movement and automation to use in your track as it feels more natural than a sine (many people argue that you need a pure sine sub but fuck them haha)

once you've got a nice 16 bar loop of some sick wubs m8, bounce it down to audio and make another 16 bars, then bounce them down and make another 16 bars and so on, until you have a big collection of your reese with some funky movement.

Listen back over the audio bounces and pick out your favorite ones that still sound good and cut them up into separate little wub samples. Don't worry if at this point they still don't sound perfect, there's still more to do.

arrange your favourite little wub samples into a nice pattern that sounds kinda cool with your drums and then mute your drums again. it's too easy to make a little 2 or 4 bar loop that repeats over the 16 bars that sounds cool, but try and make a 16 bar loop with plenty of variation because it will pay off in the long run. This loop should be made up of all of your samples you've just made and will make up all of the bass of your track, so make sure you bounced some subby samples as well as the more midrange ones.

Now create 5 busses/group channel tracks and name one 'reese hi', the second 'reese mid', the third 'reese low', the fourth 'reese sub' and the fifth 'reese group'. send your little arrangement of your reese samples using sends, 100% to reese hi, reese mid, reese low and reese sub and mute the output of the audio track itself.

now change the output of the reese hi, reese mid, reese low and reese sub all to reese group (i think the default is called stereo out so change this to reese group)

on reese hi on the inserts section add a high pass filter set at somewhere from 1500Hz - 3000Hz, reese sub set a low pass filter to around 100Hz (you only want the fundamental frequency to be coming through), for reese low set some eq's so that only from around 100Hz up to 500Hz is coming through, and for reese mid add an eq and set it so that from around 500Hz up to the cut off of the eq on reese hi.

You have now split the reese into separate frequency bands! well done haha

first thing I would do is compress the hell out of the sub bus, the sub on a normal reese isn't particularly stable so compress the hell out of it and it should sit a lot nicer in the mix.

for the reese low bus this is where all the nice warm and resonant bass frequencies are sitting, all that icicle and skeptical style bass stuff. I wouldn't process this section too hard, maybe some slight compression to reign it in a little and maybe a little tube warmer (grease tube is a free vst and sick as hell if you can find it) just to warm up the sound and make it a little less clinical, be very subtle with it though!

I would also tend to leave reese hi pretty vanilla, too much processing on the high can add a horrible fuzz over the whole reese. Again it depends on the sound you're going for, a little phaser can make the sound a little more 'futurey' sounding but personally i dont like this. compressing the hi end I find is generally not a great idea. for one it brings up any background hiss in the mix and also takes away from the definition in the hi end I find anyway.

the reese mid bus you can really go crazy with the disortion and random effects until you get something that sounds cool. one rule i try to stick by is that less is generally more, go easy on it but certainly do give it some character. remember to reapply the eq at the end of this as the distortion will add a lot of extra harmonics and it's important that this buss doesn't overlap with any of the others.

set the volume levels of the sub, low, mid and high busses so that it sounds well balanced overall. for the reese group bus add a little touch of compression just to gel it all together and bam! you should have an alright sounding reese hopefully!

A final tip would be to send the sampler through the busses like you did with the audio bounces and then make a load more reese sounds with all of the effects and processing on, you'll get a better feel now for the final product and should be able to to write some nice automation.

any little sick wubs you make MAKE SURE YOU BOUNCE DOWN AND NAME THEM WITH PITCH AND PUT THEM IN A FOLDER, this way when it come to making your next track you'll have a nice folder of sick reese sounds ready to go, all made personally by yourself.

One day maybe we can make these sounds...

ehbes

Post by ehbes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:28 pm

I can guarantee I won't be reading that
Paypal me $2 for a .wav of Midnight
https://soundcloud.com/artend
Dead Rats wrote:Mate, these chaps are lads.

ArrenMog

Post by ArrenMog » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 pm

fucking read it! I spent ages writing that haha

Basically just summarizing what i've learnt over my time learning how, not perfect but it's what i've found works.

I havn't been on here in ages, just read this and felt the urge to give an in depth answer haha

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:04 am

I thought it was great and worth reposting in the sub/low-midrange and reese threads, possibly along with my summary?

1. Detuned saws.
2. Two slow double notch filters, one low, one high.
3. Bounce a LONG note.
4. Automate a lowpass in different ways. Slice out the best wubs.
5. Use a sampler to make a riff and variations.
6. Frequency split and process.

titchbit

Post by titchbit » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 pm

ArrenMog just a tip - you spent 4 paragraphs explaining how to split frequencies. just say "split frequencies into 4 bands" lol especially since not everyone's using the same daw. the post could have been a lot shorter and more concise but still some good content in there, nicely done :Q:

Add9

Post by Add9 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 pm

pro tip that took me waaay to long to figure out:

1. draw long midi note

2. link parameters of sound to knobs on midi controller

3. record yourself moving knobs to create automation

4. bounce to audio when satisfied with sound

5. chop up audio into 1 measure increments (or something similar)

6. put in sampler (each midi note should correspond with a part of your bassline, but each starting at a different point!!)

7. improvise with sampler instrument over top of sick ass drum loop until you get something dirty

8. continue until bassline is really dope

9. show everyone on dubstepforum

So yeah, the takeaway is its way easier to create interesting automation by recording the automation in real time, you get asymmetrical wobs and shit like that that you couldn't create with an lfo. these are the most interesting IMO. Then by using a sampler to play the sounds you can come up with all kinds of combinations of sounds you would never think of otherwise. this really boosts creativity, or at least it does for me
WolfCryOfficial wrote:Have fun on your musical campaign to hell.

bennyfroobs

Post by bennyfroobs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm

ask wayfarer

he has the worlds weirdest sounding reese basses
TopManLurka wrote:FTR, requirements for being a 'head':

-you have to be youngsta
-you must have been in that infamous room of ten people.
-a DMZ release is preferable but not necessary.
-please note that being youngsta is mandatory.

Warfare Dubstep

Post by Warfare Dubstep » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks for the insight, ArrenMog

It's kinda similar to district's tutorial on dungeon sounds, though I can't seem to process the reese into something "dungeon sounding" when I add distortion and other effects to the mids and highs; maybe I'm just using the wrong plugins (fruity distortion-lol, Fruity phaser/flanger and camelcrusher) . I'll read your whole tutorial in a bit, just scanned through it and there are a lot of good points in there. Big up!!

Oh and btw I actually remembered I stopped for 1 session of sampling in the FL Studio playlist because it's a nightmare to determine which pitch you're using in there, it doesn't even mention which note is being triggered. I actually resampled once in Kontakt, I've added phasers and modulation to them, but still can't get that vibe that dungeon sounds have. Any hints on what types of effects to use and which ones to modulate and how?

Cheers!
Soundcloud

“What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.”
― Rumi

https://soundcloud.com/warfare

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Did you try reverb?

ArrenMog

Post by ArrenMog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Warfare Dubstep wrote:Thanks for the insight, ArrenMog

It's kinda similar to district's tutorial on dungeon sounds, though I can't seem to process the reese into something "dungeon sounding" when I add distortion and other effects to the mids and highs; maybe I'm just using the wrong plugins (fruity distortion-lol, Fruity phaser/flanger and camelcrusher) . I'll read your whole tutorial in a bit, just scanned through it and there are a lot of good points in there. Big up!!

Oh and btw I actually remembered I stopped for 1 session of sampling in the FL Studio playlist because it's a nightmare to determine which pitch you're using in there, it doesn't even mention which note is being triggered. I actually resampled once in Kontakt, I've added phasers and modulation to them, but still can't get that vibe that dungeon sounds have. Any hints on what types of effects to use and which ones to modulate and how?

Cheers!
Yeah tbf a lot of what I said has foundations in districts tutorial haha, I've just added my own twist to it from what i've learnt.

and I agree mids can be a real bastard at times, sometimes scooping out any loud and overpowering frequencies with an eq can help to tame it a little, be careful though haha

personally i'm not a big fan of using phasers on my reese, gives an almost cheesey sound to them that was cool back in 2011, but now has been overdone to fuck, I try to keep it as process free as possible and just try to get all the movement out of the double notch filters.
dubunked wrote:ArrenMog just a tip - you spent 4 paragraphs explaining how to split frequencies. just say "split frequencies into 4 bands" lol especially since not everyone's using the same daw. the post could have been a lot shorter and more concise but still some good content in there, nicely done :Q:
Haha yeah i know what you're saying, I just remember when I was starting out though people would write something like that and i'd just be like 'wtf how do i do that?', haha i was just in the mood to write it out really long windedly haha
jonahmann wrote:Did you try reverb?
haha yeah reverb always helps!

Soundcloud

also just incase anyone wants to check it out here's a idea for a track i made recently using a similar technique to what i described above, very little midrange though (pretty much only sub haha) but i do use this technique and i'm pretty happy with it, it's only an idea at the moment though and the transition and some sections suck, plus the mixdown is shit as fuck and it's very quiet, but check it out haha

like for the tracks the op posted like do kinda what i did here for most of it and bring the low pass filter up occasionally for the mid range bits haha, fuck mid range though it's all about the sub yeah haha

ArrenMog

Post by ArrenMog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:17 pm

haha listening back to the original op tracks tbh they're very differen't but you can adapt what I originally said and make it work no problem haha

Warfare Dubstep

Post by Warfare Dubstep » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Okay, been really following this thread this past day. what is the parameter called in shortcircuit to automate the lowpass filter? Usually with FL studio when you right click any parameter it it would tell you the name, or you can link that parameter with your midi controller's knobs by clicking on it using the multilink to controllers option.

How do you automate the lowpass filter of shortcircuit in FL Studio? Which of the 2 lowpass filters I've circled are supposed to be modulated?

Also, what else am I supposed to automate using shortcircuit to get that deep dubstep bass? I made that reese in Massive btw.

Thanks! :) This is the only drawback I have with production until I can finally fully utilize a deep dubstep track.

Soundcloud

“What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.”
― Rumi

https://soundcloud.com/warfare

forbidden

Post by forbidden » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:30 pm

try sidechaining your mid to kick/snare super hard with a slow release to add movement after you've done all the manual modulation, almost always delivers.