Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

How do I make my basslines sound full?

Postby Justiboi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:09 am

This song isn't dubstep, but it's a good example.

Everyone keeps telling me reverb, but this song has no reverb, everything sounds clean, and the bass sounds really full and complete. I use massive for most of my sound design, but I'm switching over from dubstep to electro and if any other synth is better fit for stuff like this, I'd be happy to learn it.
Justiboi

Postby smile » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:36 am

These basslines are all about overtones and midrange content. When building such sounds you use the whole frequency spectra (mostly mids) to attenuate and give character to one specific bass-note. There's no set recipe on how to make it but the main principles involve using layering and distortion.

Massive is more than fine for these kind of synths.
smile

Postby NinjaEdit » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:35 am

Yeah, there's a sub sine wave, then other shapes various octaves above.
NinjaEdit

Postby audiowaves » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:36 am

+ I bet there's a short reverb or delay on the mid range stuff ;)
audiowaves

Postby smile » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:29 pm

A weak bassline simply can't be remedied by reverb/delay. If someone here is stuck on not being able to make a full sounding bassline I don't see how adding short reverb or delay is going to help them get there.

Basically you use reverb/delay to add dimension to your sound, and indeed you can do a lot with it. But it can't turn shit into gold. In fact, feed it shit and have it transform into some multidimensional turd.
smile

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design