Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Modulate Cutoff w/ "ADSR" (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release)

Postby jiwonpark » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm

This always gets me in VSTs such as NI Massive and Sylenth1.

Let's say I wanted to modulate the cutoff. I understand how to do that with LFO. The shape of the "curve" controls the knob of the cutoff, right? But how control the cutoff with modulation envelopes? (Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release)

What I've figured out on my own is that the "Attack" is how fast it takes for the cutoff knob to move from its start point to its finish point (I think..) but that's about it.

If someone could explain how this works, that'd be great. Thanks!
jiwonpark

Postby titchbit » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:28 am

It's just like an amp envelope. I'll use sylenth vocab - the destination is how much the envelope effects the filter (you might call this range). This is the only way you can get negative movement in the cutoff because ADSR is all positive. If there's no attack, it just goes straight to the decay value. If you have any attack, it will rise (or fall) for that much time, then it will decay for however much time the decay value is.
titchbit

Postby jiwonpark » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks, I think I sort of understand now.
jiwonpark

Postby NinjaEdit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:11 am

Attack time is the time taken for initial run-up of level from nil to peak, beginning when the key is first pressed.
Decay time is the time taken for the subsequent run down from the attack level to the designated sustain level.
Sustain level is the level during the main sequence of the sound's duration, until the key is released.
Release time is the time taken for the level to decay from the sustain level to zero after the key is released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSR_envel ... R_envelope
NinjaEdit

Postby jiwonpark » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:13 am

I think I understand this a lot better, I've been able to use the envelope to modulate things like phase and cutoff.
jiwonpark

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design