Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Tips on Krewella's "crawling" bass

Postby EthanTheCake » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 am

Hello, I recently listened to a song called "Human" by the group Krewella.

I loved it- I can pick out many elements of the song and imagine how to make it myself, which I enjoy doing with many songs.
But here's the problem: there's a bass that occurs right at 0:58 in the song, and it sounds almost as if it's "crawling"- if that makes any sense. It becomes very prominent when it wobbles without the other basses in the foreground.
Here are the times it occurs:
1:02
1:05
1:12
1:15
1:19
2:07
2:10
2:13
2:20
2:24
2:27
and 2:34

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you in advance for any tips you have for me.
-Ethan
EthanTheCake

Postby Musick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 am

Performer synced 1/24 at amp, 2x square very slightly detuned, highpass filter, possibly scream filter, possibly tube distortion, almost certainly saturation

Just a guess but that's where I would start. I actually was going to try to make this sound in a few projects from now
Musick

Postby Musick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 am

Actually sounds like two different sounds to me. The first "siren" styled one is definitely an LFO starting at a low point in the phase, possibly "Bending 1"

Then the gate come into play
Musick

Postby EthanTheCake » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:34 am

That doesn't seem to work very well for me- can you screenshot your preset so I can see exactly what you mean?
EthanTheCake

Postby Musick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 am

EthanTheCake wrote:That doesn't seem to work very well for me- can you screenshot your preset so I can see exactly what you mean?

Lol I haven't tried making it yet, unfortunately at work all day tomorrow but when I get home I'll give it a shot and PM you! I'm still a "n00b" at producing so my initial statement was a guess.. I'll let you know what I figure out tomorrow :D
Musick

Postby mthrfnk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Try a sawtooth LFO on the cutoff of the scream filter in massive, change the sync rate to suit you. As for wavetables - start off with two saws an octave apart and them play around with adding in a third oscillator, perhaps on bend +/- mode. You could even switch out one of the saw's for another wavetable, whatever sounds best. Add some distotion to bring out the high end and maybe some p/s-shaper.

I've not tried this btw, but I made a very similar sound using the method I described.

Also there's a gated lead layered on the sound - synced the same as the LFO on the bass, the lead is quite wide so adds a lot of top end stereo.
mthrfnk

Postby EthanTheCake » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks Musick.

Mthrfnk, I was able to achieve a slightly similar sound with these settings:

Though the sound just doesn't seem to fit right. Thank you though for your information, I'll play with it more.
EthanTheCake

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design