Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Snakethreads clean mixes??

Postby sickboy36 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Hey

I've been reading here for a while now but signed up, I've found most answers to my questions here so thank you!

But I've been listening to this dude snakethread and I'm wondering how he achieves such clean mixes?
How does he master it?

http://snakethread.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks hopefully someone that knows more about mastering and mixing then me can help me out with this one!
:z:

EDIT: It's not dubstep but I'm thinking a good mix/master is applyieble(?) to all genres :dunce:
sickboy36

Postby Augment » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:26 pm

He doesn't use many elements at a time, and they don't interfere with each other.
Listen to the songs and try to pick out every element, and where they sit in the mix.
The guitar for example, the percussion etc. It's not so much the mixdown as it is what he's mixing down.
Augment

Postby sickboy36 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 am

That makes sense, It is very minimal.

How do you think he has mastered it? Outboard gear or simply software?
sickboy36

Postby Augment » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:29 pm

I honestly don't know, mastering is my weakest point, but for that clean sound that you wanted, it's definitely made before the mastering stage.
Augment

Postby sickboy36 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Maybe even no mastering at all?
I read somewhere that four tet doesnt master and his tunes sound rather delightfull, I do think snakethread doesnt send it to get mastered at least since he has put up pics of his masters on fb :p
sickboy36

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design