Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Starting off with Dubstep

Postby seiren27 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 pm

I'd say i'm pretty good with Ableton 9. I make anything that comes 'naturally' and 'genuinely' ...I havn't promoted myself yet cause it falls within a plan, however, i'm trying to create better sounds and want to venture into dubstep. The sound of it is enslaving and hypnotizing.

I have ALL the synths I need. Massive, sylenth, etc... etc.. I'd say a good 8 grand on synth alone.

Problem is I do not know 'arrangement' of dubstep. How they incorporate all the sounds. Now I get the whole 'wobble' thing and 'how to do it.....and everything, that's not what i'm talking about. I'm trying to understand the arrangement of dubstep. How complicated, intricate sounds are arrange. Does anyone know a good tutorial/guide/or system to draw arrangement techniques on dubstep production I can start with? I can't pay $4000.00 for the dubspot classes online.

Also does each individual sound need it's own high mid and low ...no matter how minute?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Me
seiren27

Postby H_2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 pm

When I design my bass wobbles I usually use two tracks, 1 for the highs in the bass and 1 for the lower frequencies. For leads you don't want low frequencies cutting into your bass synth so apply a cut off filter to the lows and bring the mids up a little and the highs higher until they mix well with each other.

Typically I have two to three tracks of eq'ing on almost all of my synths except for sub basses. For my kicks I have the initial kick, than I add a click sound that sounds like your clicking a laptop button (gives a nice punch for laptops) and for snares I leave the first layer alone, and use the second track to add reverb to the tail end. For snares imo you want the initial stab to be clean and use effects for the tail end.

As far as putting it all together really just do what sounds right. typically artists use an LFO for a bar or two, than use that same bass in another track with a different speed of lfo and maybe pitched differently. It's safe to use the same bass again but tinker with it a little so that the sound doesn't get repetitive. Than after a short bass line typically you put in a lead synth in for a few bars or a measure than back to another quick lfo'y bass line. really it wont sound good unless you can really program drums well that's what really brings a good track together, properly placed and well eq'd drums.
H_2

Postby crypticdubstep » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:51 pm

difference wrote:http://dubstepforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159713

welcome to the forum

so many of those links are dead lol

edit; woops it was only in the "How to make bass" section that many links are dead.
crypticdubstep

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design