Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Distorted "Festival Trap" Bass

Postby itsHAZED » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey guys! With the whole Festival season right around the corner, I've been trying to make a few "festival trap" songs.
One of the biggest and pretty much only problem I am having right now is getting a good distorted sub bass. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:
1: https://soundcloud.com/lookasmusic/dvbb ... ami-lookas 2: https://soundcloud.com/enzopicardimia/e ... rdi-x-tegi
I work in Ableton, I've tried a few different approaches but still can't get the results like those tracks.
I have tried these methods on both a sampled 808 that I put in Ableton's Sampler, and also a Sine wave "808" shaped sub bass that I made in Massive.
-Saturating -Wave's MaxxBass -Wave's RBass -Turning the OSC knob so that some Square wave frequencies get through for the higher harmonics.
I can never get the really tight sounding disruption, it usually just makes the sub sound muddy, and distasteful.
Does anyone have any advice?!
itsHAZED

Postby Augment » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Take your 808, saturate it a bit until you hear some of the upper harmonics come through, use an eq to boost/cut after taste :)
Augment

Postby LilWUB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm

blinkesko wrote:Take your 808, saturate it a bit until you hear some of the upper harmonics come through, use an eq to boost/cut after taste :)

Do you think that this technique should be parallel processed with a high pass?
LilWUB

Postby itsHAZED » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 am

LilWUB wrote:
blinkesko wrote:Take your 808, saturate it a bit until you hear some of the upper harmonics come through, use an eq to boost/cut after taste :)

Do you think that this technique should be parallel processed with a high pass?

Yeah, same question. So that the sub frequencies are left unharmed?
itsHAZED

Postby Augment » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 am

I'd personally do it in paralell, then compressed the 2 signals together, but I don't see it as something you have to do
Augment

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design