Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

How to make this wonky bass?

Postby BIG » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:23 pm

https://soundcloud.com/solomandj/soloman-ft-devilman-wun-sen
that's an example of what I'm talking about.
I have massive and reason so I can use either but I am more famaliar with massive but I've read most of these people use massive and the tutorials i tried to follow for a bass like this don't really come close :s
BIG

Postby TEKN » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:08 am

Well Soloman uses malstrom in reason so it's probably a square wave with a comb filter, but you can make this sound really easy with a single duck organ wavetable in massive, phase distortion/lfo on a daft filter+reverb etc and bingo piece of cake you're on your way to generic wonkedy wonk.
TEKN

Postby Gannon211 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:20 pm

I fucking love that sound, I've been after ways to make this bass for a while now, big up tekn i'm trying this right now
Gannon211

Postby Gannon211 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:05 pm

TEKN wrote:Well Soloman uses malstrom in reason so it's probably a square wave with a comb filter, but you can make this sound really easy with a single duck organ wavetable in massive, phase distortion/lfo on a daft filter+reverb etc and bingo piece of cake you're on your way to generic wonkedy wonk.

Any actual tutorial on this? I get close when I tried but not the full sound, mine sounds like too much low pass on it, but when I up the cut off I don't get the clean "wonk", there's loads of high metallicy sounds, tried eq'ing out but then I lose the whole wonkyness :u:
Gannon211

Postby TEKN » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:42 am

Gannon211 wrote:
Any actual tutorial on this? I get close when I tried but not the full sound, mine sounds like too much low pass on it, but when I up the cut off I don't get the clean "wonk", there's loads of high metallicy sounds, tried eq'ing out but then I lose the whole wonkyness :u:

Only ones I can think of are the Malleus tutorials for reason or that massive one that's titled 'badklaat/kromestar wobble" or something like that.
Filtering is key with these sort of sounds so just mess around with comb filters etc until you get something you like. These bigger guys who make the kind of sound do all sorts of crazy shit like having modulators modulating each other, having certain parts unsynced etc. Just gotta fuck around until it goes right really
TEKN

Postby Gannon211 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 am

TEKN wrote:
Gannon211 wrote:

Only ones I can think of are the Malleus tutorials for reason or that massive one that's titled 'badklaat/kromestar wobble" or something like that.
Filtering is key with these sort of sounds so just mess around with comb filters etc until you get something you like. These bigger guys who make the kind of sound do all sorts of crazy shit like having modulators modulating each other, having certain parts unsynced etc. Just gotta fuck around until it goes right really

I get what your saying, It's all bout originality, can't wait till I've these basslines on lock so I can twist them in my own way! I found using the performer in massive you get cleaner wubs, it's tackled the problem I explained. Also envelopes for these basses are great as well, more control. My daw cried a little when I read "modulator modulating eachother" I bet they use just slightly less modulating then most neurofunk reeses, but that's a lot and they make me shed tears https://soundcloud.com/gannon211/gannon-lemons
Gannon211

Postby BIG » Sat May 03, 2014 9:25 pm

I made something sortta like this in reason
https://soundcloud.com/wvlf-dubz/elephant-clip
BIG

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design