Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Dubstep/Brostep tutorials/advices

Postby volter9 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 am

Hello DJ's and producers!

I'm new to this forum and to dubstep/brostep production itself. I want to get started in dubstep/brostep production, but don't know how. YouTube videos don't help at all. So I need advices from experts or tutorials.

Does anyone know how to get started in dubstep/brostep?

By dubstep/brostep I mean style of music similar to following producers:

• Skrillex
  • Far too loud
  • Excision
  • Barely Alive
  • Kill the Noise
  • Knife Party
  • Zomboy

In case if somebody can/want tutor me, I'll be glad to create a high quality flat design website for DJ/producer as a appreciation for tutoring.

For moderators:
Dear moderators,

Don't delete this thread, please.
I really want to get started, but I don't know how. :(
And the website part is self-promotion.

Thank you for attention!
volter9

Postby OGLemon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome to the forum m8 :)
For future reference, you may want to use the production forum viewforum.php?f=8

this thread will have everything that u would want viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159713
OGLemon

Postby Samuel_L_Damnson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 am

Also don't worry about the mods. They are all gone. There are millions of threads about sound design and mixing for bro/dubstep in the production boards. There is also a wealth of knowledge on YouTube although u should only use what u learn from YouTube tutorials as as a start and not follow them to the T or u will sound like every other person. Ivwould reccomend working on ur drums and percussion first and then do pads and lead synths before trying to makes harmonically rich bass sounds with complex modulation because u will need to learn ur synths inside out. Also read all ur synth manuals
Samuel_L_Damnson

Postby volter9 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks for replies, I'll try my best! :)
Maybe you also know some mixing tutorials?
volter9

Postby DetoreMusic » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:44 am

Hey, I am a very advanced music producer who has obtained knowledge from some of the best producers in the community and I've applied my sills to figure out tips and tricks that could really help you with your level of production. I can teach you how to apply these skills to make killer tracks with some of the most advanced synthesis ideas that most people don't apply to their production. I'm also highly trained in teaching young producers like yourself into becoming some of the best producers in the community! Email me at detoremusic@gmail.com to get more info. My rates are fairly cheap and I provide the first lesson for free so you get introduced to the level acceleration your production level will experience. Cheers!
DetoreMusic

Postby apostlebass » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:38 am

Honestly, production in the beginning is supposed to be fun. Don't worry about trying to make some synth in some song, or how some artist makes some sound. Learn how to use your daw, mess around with stuff try and figure out how stuff works. There are plenty of tutorials and guides on here for eqing and mixing down on here so browse away!
apostlebass

Postby forbidden » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:34 am

ChrisPlatow wrote:hes very advanced so give him money

by writing off youtube it sounds like you are looking for some kind of magic bag of tricks (there isn't one)

i would highly recommend giving that a second chance before you throw money at someone whose process might be good, but not as good as a process you yourself develop. i would say honestly try youtube first, and if that honestly doesn't help then pay for a tutor..but make sure that tutor doesn't have a snapback chemically bonded to his head.
forbidden

Postby ftwgmorm » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Music production is a bitch. I'm telling you this just from my experience.
ftwgmorm

Postby Samuel_L_Damnson » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Just read yr synth manuals. And read about how synths work. Read tape op, or read sound on sound. U need to learn all about what happens to the signal as it travels through the synth and what each bit does. Once you know how it works u can apply that and figure out how to make the sound.
Samuel_L_Damnson

Postby Samuel_L_Damnson » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Basically keep reading about synths in yr spare time
Samuel_L_Damnson

Postby ftwgmorm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Samuel_L_Damnson wrote:Basically keep reading about synths in yr spare time

Yes, because you learn how to synthesize by reading manuals, and not actually practicing the craft.
ftwgmorm

Postby ChrisPlatow » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:15 pm

forbidden wrote:
ChrisPlatow wrote:hes very advanced so give him money

by writing off youtube it sounds like you are looking for some kind of magic bag of tricks (there isn't one)

i would highly recommend giving that a second chance before you throw money at someone whose process might be good, but not as good as a process you yourself develop. i would say honestly try youtube first, and if that honestly doesn't help then pay for a tutor..but make sure that tutor doesn't have a snapback chemically bonded to his head.

Ya i agree man I was being sarcastic
ChrisPlatow

Postby Samuel_L_Damnson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:51 pm

ftwgmorm wrote:
Samuel_L_Damnson wrote:Basically keep reading about synths in yr spare time

Yes, because you learn how to synthesize by reading manuals, and not actually practicing the craft.

shut up.
Obviously u have to practice as well. what im saying is reading the manuals is really important and is often overlooked. so i over emphasized that. Do u always take everything literally?
Samuel_L_Damnson

Postby In_Real_Life » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 am

Manuals are a great resource to learn exactly how the program in question works. On a side note I would recommend Mixerman's books. Zen and the Art of Mixing, and Zen and the Art of Producing. Both great reads.
Music is food for the mind, body, and soul. - IRL

https://soundcloud.com/inreallife/machinegun-style
In_Real_Life

Postby SkuxxOfficial » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm writing this in a hurry, so please don't mind if i accidentally misspell somethings. But yeah, heres all you need to know to get started in dubstep (brostep/drumstep etc) production.

First, buy Massive. Massive is a VST/AU synthesizer made by native instruments. Basically you have to own that moster. :lol: Now, massive is a synth mainly used for leads and basses and is a so called 'wavetable synthesizer'. Watch online tutorials on how to use massive and you'll get the idea off how it works. Just NEVER use 'modern talking'. NEVER.

Then, buy or download free samples. As long as you use samples in a creative way you're good to go! Vengeance-Sound, Loopmasters and Freakyloops, is examples of 'sample-labels' that has some pretty decent samples. Mainly only use drums samples (kicks, snares etc) and try to avoid bass-samples as in this case, when you're producing dubstep - which mainly is based on basses, using pre-made bass samples (and not processing them) is a bad idea, and you'll not learn much more then how to layer a drop.

Watch lots os tutorials on youtube, listen to artists you like and try to replicate it (but don't post it on SoundCloud etc, you'll just get hate) and just overall try to sound as different as possible without being too far of. Also learn how to master. If you don't know what mastering is, google it.

(Also collaborating with other people is a great way of learning how to produce music)

(Also don't just try to learn how to make dubstep, try different genres and styles)

Pece :z:
SkuxxOfficial

Postby Banesy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:37 am

Umm...can you extrapolate on the modern talking thing? I honestly missed that ship.

So...brostep has a pretty defined formulation to follow so I would start by looking at Virtual Riots youtube channel for his handful of tutorials. He has one really nice one that breaks down a drop composition.

The second beast to tame is learning how to mix it all. Barely Alive put up a nice mix tutorial that should start you on the right path. It is not in depth but it captures the idea of what needs to be bused together.

My best advice is to not waste time on entire tracks, just work on sections, for example, a drop verse or a build up part. Pop a pro track into your daw, find the BPM and key and then just work on reproducing (ish) the parts...not necessarily on a synth design level but on a mixing level. Match the sub bass, match the kick and snare, match the drop intensity...ect...ect... Once you can create a small phrase and have it sound pro, the rest is just following a pattern. Enjoy!
Banesy

Postby _Agu_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:42 am

I don't still get the whole modern talking hate thing. Can't think of any reason why using specific wavetable is "cheap", when using Vengeance samples all day is cool...
_Agu_

Postby Ascenic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:59 am

The "don't use Modern Talking" fad is old hat. Use it like any other WT if you want; it actually is quite good for growls.
bouncingfish wrote: AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha
Ascenic

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Next

Return to Sound Design