Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Koan sound Reese.

Postby JamesHanvey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:23 am

I've actually watched a tonne of yt tuts all of then trying to recreate the sound, but nothing about the filtering and how they make it sound like a fucking transformer on decent headphones.

Is it just to do with mastering on how they make it sound so bass-y and heavy? Or are they just sound-engineering gods?

And the filtering too, I suppose it's just a mix between low and high passing but that can't just be it
JamesHanvey

Postby R3b_Official » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Koan sound uses reason and basically all they "Said" they use for saws and squares in maeltstrom. Im not going to go over how to make a reese but all there sound is post processing. You not going to get it with basic filtering high and low pass. They will use everything from notch,double notch, bandpass and even parallel filtering. The go and resample these bits and throw it into reasons sampler and mess with pitching the bass and thats what gives most of its movement.

Also koan sound does a lot of eq modulation and distortion. You can also hear they reverse tons of there basses and add some tight reverb on them to give it an airy feel.

Im no expert but there are a number of ways to do this and frankly you will not or will ever get a koan sound bass. I can get pretty close but I loose tons of character to my sounds while theres often stays full and subby.

Heres a video I made that goes over a couple things and makes a sorta koan sound bass.

R3b_Official

Postby JamesHanvey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Cheers, great tut, definitely the closest I've seen
JamesHanvey

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design