Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

that next level growl

Postby Okeus » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Has anyone got a clue as to how the fuck this was achieved
pretty much the whole track
drop starts at 00:55

Okeus
 
Posts:
11
Joined:
Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Postby GNova » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Basicly, it is a "go to a sound design school" lol.
No seriously it is too much skills, I would say distortion on a very low casual growl with Hi pass... Dunno
User avatar
GNova
 
Posts:
59
Joined:
Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Postby Omniclad » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Midnight definitely didn't go to school for production.

But from what I've seen, not a single person out there can recreate anything he does. Cept maybe Uber, whos growl is similar to his growl, but Midnight doesn't seem to use it often anymore anyway.

Midnight Tranny is a genius.
Omniclad
 
Posts:
31
Joined:
Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Postby Okeus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:34 am

Yea dude Uber got pretty damn close with that last one. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues haha.
Okeus
 
Posts:
11
Joined:
Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Postby Toolman4 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:59 am

My only guess is that it's not as much synthesized as it is recorded and processed....There is such a strong mid presence with very natural spacial elements. It's like there is an abrupt contrast to that particular bass sound and most of the other parts of the track and most notably is the upper frequencies like 10k-20k...
User avatar
Toolman4
 
Posts:
381
Joined:
Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:48 am

Postby moneybags » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:13 pm

I was able to achieve something similar in Massive.
Deep Throat on Bend +/-
-36
Change position and intensity
Ring mod -64
possible another Deep Throat on Bend +/- with different position and intensity
Used both filters, band reject and scream

Whatever you wanna do after. I used B Tube Dimension Expander and on the EQ tab I modulated the frequency with the LFO rate to lower frequencies. Then I added a sine shaper.

When all is said and done use an EQ to boost anything over 4 khz by like 5-8 db. Makes it sound grittier.

Now that's just the basis of the sound. The post processing is used heavy afterwards. Dubloadz uses Ableton to my knowledge and the stock Vocoder is something that was definitely used in a couple of those sounds. Probably some short delay on a low setting like 15% on top and some light overdrive
moneybags
 
Posts:
11
Joined:
Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 am

Postby Redoken » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Make a random growl and process it with granulizer
User avatar
Redoken
 
Posts:
59
Joined:
Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Postby JamesHanvey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Sounds like a normal growl just an octave lower than normal. Usually this sounds abit distorted and weird but he's either processed or patched it in such a way to avoid that
User avatar
JamesHanvey
 
Posts:
234
Joined:
Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Postby BONK_ » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 am

Was not expecting that bass to sound like that at all. Sounds tricky to make...
BONK_
 
Posts:
4
Joined:
Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:36 pm

Postby moneybags » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:52 pm

JamesHanvey wrote:Sounds like a normal growl just an octave lower than normal. Usually this sounds abit distorted and weird but he's either processed or patched it in such a way to avoid that

Just play with any sound lower than 2 octaves and you should get an idea
moneybags
 
Posts:
11
Joined:
Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 am

Postby Turnipish_Thoughts » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Redoken wrote:Make a random growl and process it with granulizer


This. It really sounds like the kind of thing granular synthesis can do, but I don't know how it's been applied. It really seems like the kind of thing you'd stumble across rather than 'make' in any explicit way. A combination of certain timbres and processes, though it really does sound like it's been sampled and slowed down, either by some kind of tape effect pluggin, then ridden in a way he's found works with the original timbres he's using; or It's being processed through granular synthesis in a specific way as to give the grains a choppy vibe, this would also be having to meld with the timbre in a certain way.

Like I said, it's something you stumble across while experimenting. He's obviously done that and gone "wow, gonna use this" rather than some how had some arcane knowledge. Just a mixture of a long time spent messing with sound with a vague aim in mind, a good ear and luck. You can spend an age trying to guess but if you really wanna know you're probably gonna have to ask the man himself.

edit: after thinking about the theme of the tune and other sounds around it. The original sound could quite possibly be a dinosaur growl, really sounds like it could be tbh, then processed and slowed down/processed via granular synthesis.
https://soundcloud.com/tiger_widow/fly-cats-in-slick-hats-wip-preview

Altron wrote:The big part is just getting your arrangement down.
Serious shit^
Brothulhu wrote:...EQing with the subtlety of a drunk viking lumberjack


Image
User avatar
Turnipish_Thoughts
 
Posts:
684
Joined:
Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Postby Redoken » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Turnipish_Thoughts wrote:
Redoken wrote:Make a random growl and process it with granulizer


This. It really sounds like the kind of thing granular synthesis can do, but I don't know how it's been applied. It really seems like the kind of thing you'd stumble across rather than 'make' in any explicit way. A combination of certain timbres and processes, though it really does sound like it's been sampled and slowed down, either by some kind of tape effect pluggin, then ridden in a way he's found works with the original timbres he's using; or It's being processed through granular synthesis in a specific way as to give the grains a choppy vibe, this would also be having to meld with the timbre in a certain way.

Like I said, it's something you stumble across while experimenting. He's obviously done that and gone "wow, gonna use this" rather than some how had some arcane knowledge. Just a mixture of a long time spent messing with sound with a vague aim in mind, a good ear and luck. You can spend an age trying to guess but if you really wanna know you're probably gonna have to ask the man himself.

edit: after thinking about the theme of the tune and other sounds around it. The original sound could quite possibly be a dinosaur growl, really sounds like it could be tbh, then processed and slowed down/processed via granular synthesis.


Yes I agree you have to mess around with good starting rendered FM or massive sample and process it with granulizer, just it can may be frustrating and can took maybe a litlle bit of time becouse I don't think there's a certain specific way to achieve that sound
User avatar
Redoken
 
Posts:
59
Joined:
Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Postby xGannon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Turnipish_Thoughts wrote:
Redoken wrote:Make a random growl and process it with granulizer


This. It really sounds like the kind of thing granular synthesis can do, but I don't know how it's been applied. It really seems like the kind of thing you'd stumble across rather than 'make' in any explicit way. A combination of certain timbres and processes, though it really does sound like it's been sampled and slowed down, either by some kind of tape effect pluggin, then ridden in a way he's found works with the original timbres he's using; or It's being processed through granular synthesis in a specific way as to give the grains a choppy vibe, this would also be having to meld with the timbre in a certain way.

Like I said, it's something you stumble across while experimenting. He's obviously done that and gone "wow, gonna use this" rather than some how had some arcane knowledge. Just a mixture of a long time spent messing with sound with a vague aim in mind, a good ear and luck. You can spend an age trying to guess but if you really wanna know you're probably gonna have to ask the man himself.

edit: after thinking about the theme of the tune and other sounds around it. The original sound could quite possibly be a dinosaur growl, really sounds like it could be tbh, then processed and slowed down/processed via granular synthesis.

I agree Granular synthesis is probably ur best bet.
OR wavetable synthesis at a very low octave, then exported, then sampled back up some octaves.
With wavetable synths like massive, when you play a low note you can really hear the cycles per second, or hertz being processed and it sounds really choppy, but so messy and nearly inaudible it doesn't make sense. So like if you got low note that is really choppy, and sampled it up, my guess would be you still can achieve the choppy sound but with higher frequencies. I could be so wrong or be doing it hard and long way but granular synthesis would be my first try.

and I can imagine insane processing
xGannon
 
Posts:
45
Joined:
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Postby fiveone » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:03 pm

that horrible drop just sounds like a sine with throat (massive) played in an octave that's far too low... then some phasing/processing added later on to make it sound a little bit less swag
fiveone
 
Posts:
689
Joined:
Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Postby _Agu_ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:03 pm

five one wrote:in an octave that's far too low...


This is really what I guess is the most important thing to it. Not saying I would know how to precisely make this sort of growls on purpose but I'm pretty sure if all people on these forums who make growls, would go through their saved growl-patches one by one and pitch down every osc 1 or 2 octaves and hit the key, same sort of stuff would start popping up...
_Agu_
 
Posts:
400
Joined:
Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Postby xGannon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:24 am

_Agu_ wrote:
five one wrote:in an octave that's far too low...


This is really what I guess is the most important thing to it. Not saying I would know how to precisely make this sort of growls on purpose but I'm pretty sure if all people on these forums who make growls, would go through their saved growl-patches one by one and pitch down every osc 1 or 2 octaves and hit the key, same sort of stuff would start popping up...

I just did this and you're right, you can hear the slow cycles of the waveform when you play really low octaves, and this is what the original sound sounds like, really slow oscillations.
I lowered a growl I made by 3 octves and I would say I was on track, it sounded messy, but I can imgaine with the processing after you could really make if fit with ur tune
xGannon
 
Posts:
45
Joined:
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Postby GNova » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 am

Hi all, I think I find a simple way to achieve this kind of sound.

Massive - Speech osc dt -36, bandpass filter for the movment, then ohmicide distortion and WOW vowel mode in bandpass.
This is just a clip I made to illustrate, so click on it like it is private.

Peace !
https://soundcloud.com/g-nov/midnight-sd
User avatar
GNova
 
Posts:
59
Joined:
Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:34 pm

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design

cron