Tip for drums in FL studio

HeretikDubs

Tip for drums in FL studio

Post by HeretikDubs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I figured I'd start off with something useful!

I used to have a bit of trouble with sidechaining in FL the standard way, so I've developed my own little method that works well for me and is nice and clear.
I'm not sure if this would work well in other DAW's but it works in FL for me.

What I did, was start off and create two very tiny automation clip, about the size of a 1/8th note and apply one to the mixer channel volume of the synths and the other to the sub bass.

I then right clicked at the left side approx 60% down from where it starts at creating a sort of check mark shape, it looks like this.

I then went into my arrangement window and for each instance of a kick, I had it execute both automation clips, and for the snare I had it applied to the synth automation clip.

This way it cuts out the volume of the synths/sub just enough for the kick and snare to come through nice and clean without waiting for delays when using a compressor.

Hope it works for you! Cheers.
Last edited by HeretikDubs on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zillo_music

Re: Tip for drums in FL studio

Post by zillo_music » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:06 pm

I don't like FL sidechain either (using Peak controller), I prefer and highly recommend Sidechain Compressor by db Audioware, it's really easy to use and it's great for that daily sidechain routine lol

R3b_Official

Post by R3b_Official » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:57 am

This is probably the most tedious way to side chain in fl... Its volume automation you're doing, not sidechaining. To sidechain you need a signal to be inputed into your synth for it to be doing something, you are just manual doing volume cuts and instead of doing your massive and serum master volume knob, use your mixers volume knob instead if you want to do it this way. If you apply any sorta post processing and change the volume of your synths volume then your effects will be all over the place and fuck up your mix. This has been covered countless times in every genre. If your going to make a thread post something you know is an actual tip and if you think its some new idea chances are its not.
Check out my youtube videos and Soundcloud
https://r3b_official.toneden.io/#
Soundcloud

Ascenic

Post by Ascenic » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 am

I prefer the Fruity Limiter way myself. Much simpler for me.
bouncingfish wrote: AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha

Augment

Post by Augment » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:52 pm

You should definetely do this with the mixer channels, and have it drop down in volume just before the kick/snare hits instead of as it hits, so the transient gets to kick through. very tedious to do it this way, but imo it gives the best results :)
aka blinkesko
Soundcloud
Jesus Loves Electro - Burning Love (Augment remix)

Spotify: http://spoti.fi/1m5GUjL
iTunes: http://bit.ly/1iHWose

HeretikDubs

Post by HeretikDubs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Sorry friends, I miswrote, I actually am doing it with the mixer channels. my bad.

zillo_music

Post by zillo_music » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:08 pm

it's not effective either, rather use db audiowave sidechain compressor, fruity limiter, or grossbeat if you're after "permanent" ducking ;)

xGannon

Post by xGannon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:15 am

I prefer Fruity Limiter too, or actually getting any sample, mute it, and make it as a trigger to control the threshold on whatever compressor I'm using. What you're doing produces the same result (kinda) and I wouldn't say no to it, but I can imagine in project where you have tons of layers that this can create problems
The whole concept of sidechaining is so that bounces off the compressor's threshold, making it sound like its the volume being automated, but really it's the threshold that is doing the work. It's cool you made your own work flow but I'd highly recommend using compressors to get sidechain effect. There's tonssss of youtube tutorials for fruity limiter, or peak controller (but that way is so tedious)Soundcloud