Realisations

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
Hide_One

Realisations

Post by Hide_One » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 am

Just got back from Funtcase and Trolley Snatcha @ the attic in Manchester and I've gotta say that this is the first time I've been raving and felt old.
Looking at the cherub faced and chubby fingered crowd made me realise i'm not young anymore (only 21,) but when I remember being 16 and looking at these people (me) it seemed so distant.

Also after reading so many "Wobble/Jump Up/ Mid-Range-Cack vs Future Garage/ Sub-Low... etc." arguments, made me realise, I really miss when Dubstep was minimalist and grimey. Trolley Snatcha and Funtcase were sick, dont get me wrong I couldnt cuss anything about tonight; but it still made me crave for DMZ, Cotti, Cluekid, Skream, Rob Sparx, Hindzy D, Silkie, Droid, Kryptic Minds, Stenchman, Plastician, Lost, Slaughter Mob, Macarbe Unit, Kromestar etc...

Post ya realisations (or realizations if you're a yank) here...

...and post the grimiest tunes you know...

... my drunken ramblings are over.

Safe

:D :) :( :o :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :q: :e: :r: :t:
..::Just When I Think I Know Wot Im Thinking::..

karmacazee

Re: Realisations

Post by karmacazee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:13 am

Liquid in Cardiff has started putting on a dubstep room on Fridays or Saturdays or something. I nearly died, and not in a good way.

There's a Liquid and an Oceana and an Evolution in every city, right?

Was at a lovely little night called Experimental a few weeks back in Cardiff. Synkro headlining, and Mr Wiggle Baron was playing too, great night, but strangely empty considering it was freshers week. Two doors down from this place, the turgid dungeon of WKD vomit scented hell (Liquid) were advertising their dubstep and drum and bass room as 'just what Cardiff needs!', while swathes of scantily clad men and women raomed the streets ushering students into an impossibly massive queue with the promise of free shit (and obviously the constantly tantalizing underlying shag fest that never ensues).
I very much wanted to smear horrible things into the faces of the people involved.
Barely anything about the music or any DJ's on the flyer, just a small list of names on the back in a really small font.

Clearly people don't go to these sorts of clubs for the music. As long as they can dance to something loud and therefore possibly get laid, or just get fucking steaming somewhere loud, they're all good.
What worries me is the amount of people that go there though. Pretty much the overwhelming majority. Why? The students come from all over, different cities that already have a fucking Jumpin' fucking Jacks and Ocunteana's everywhere, yet they still conglomerate at these shitholes when they come to a new city.

Actually, fuck it...................................... fuck 'em.
Agent 47 wrote: but oldschool stone island lager drinking hooligan slag fucking takeaway fighting man child is the one
Soundcloud

http://www.novacoda.co.uk

firky

Post by firky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:27 am

Hide_One wrote: i'm not young anymore (only 21,)
Wut? You can't even get cheap car insurance or get in decent clubs and bars where there's no kids (sorry kids!).
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

diablo

Post by diablo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:29 am

I'm 38!!!!!!

Imagine how old I feel when I go out :(

Actually it's only been like this for the past 1.5 to 2 years.

When I first started going to dubstep events in 2005,its was mostly the older jaded drum and bass crowd, now its mostly kids with only a few elderly folks like me
Smoke 'em if ya got em

ahier

Post by ahier » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:36 am

older crew, do you feel intimidated by the younger crowd out at nights or superior? or even neither, some other feeling that i am yet to understand?
maybe its just me that feels intimidated by everyone at a night so imagines others must feel the same

firky

Post by firky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:49 am

Am I older crew?

Good question. I am not really sure, I always feel self conscious when I am in a club because I have always been one who stands at the back nodding like a dog rather than jumping about. Sometimes feel a bit old, yeah, and sometimes you do get irritated by some of the younger people there - but more often than not they're 18 year old students who still think getting as drunk as you can is fun.

Only ever felt intimidated at garage nights in a club I used to work in, the club had to stop running the nights as there was always bother. Bonkers... why go out for a good night out and start a fight or just give attitude to the staff who are there to make your night a good one. Tossers.
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

ahier

Post by ahier » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:17 am

True, but i guess that could be more of a personality thing than an age thing, i never find myself jumping about too much (although sometimes the moment does call for it), and the young drunk students also piss me off. although i am also young and a student, i hate the fact that people tend to judge me due to the cunty stereotype half of the student population seem to have brought upon us all as binge drinking snobby arrogant twats, something id hate to think i was seen as, yet probably due just because of being in a certain age group and wanting to further my education. i could go on but i wont.
and yeah, i never got that kinda attitude, why bring your hate with you on a night out that is meant to be fun, i mean i guess some people probably get off on that but it ruins nights for other people, and gives the music a bad name - im pretty sure a club near me has decided not to put on any more UK funky nights cos of something that went down at the end of the night just outside, meaning less good music about for everyone else.

deepsteppa

Post by deepsteppa » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 am

Hide_One wrote:Just got back from Funtcase and Trolley Snatcha @ the attic in Manchester and I've gotta say that this is the first time I've been raving and felt old.
Looking at the cherub faced and chubby fingered crowd made me realise i'm not young anymore (only 21,) but when I remember being 16 and looking at these people (me) it seemed so distant.

Also after reading so many "Wobble/Jump Up/ Mid-Range-Cack vs Future Garage/ Sub-Low... etc." arguments, made me realise, I really miss when Dubstep was minimalist and grimey. Trolley Snatcha and Funtcase were sick, dont get me wrong I couldnt cuss anything about tonight; but it still made me crave for DMZ, Cotti, Cluekid, Skream, Rob Sparx, Hindzy D, Silkie, Droid, Kryptic Minds, Stenchman, Plastician, Lost, Slaughter Mob, Macarbe Unit, Kromestar etc...

Safe

:D :) :( :o :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :q: :e: :r: :t:

you idiot. sorry, i'm 29 and dont feel old. plus, your post makes no sense, whether you are drunk or not... good luck to you in 8 years time.....dubstep STILL is minimalist and grimey and whatever you want it to be, if you think its anythng else you're clearly looking for/finding the wrong tunes or just simply going to the wrong nights...

firky

Post by firky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:34 am

(and he's too young to have ever been raving)
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

Hide_One

Post by Hide_One » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 am

deepsteppa wrote:
Hide_One wrote:Just got back from Funtcase and Trolley Snatcha @ the attic in Manchester and I've gotta say that this is the first time I've been raving and felt old.

Safe

you idiot. sorry, i'm 29 and dont feel old. plus, your post makes no sense, whether you are drunk or not... good luck to you in 8 years time.....dubstep STILL is minimalist and grimey and whatever you want it to be, if you think its anythng else you're clearly looking for/finding the wrong tunes or just simply going to the wrong nights...
Well you should feel old coz 29 is fucking ancient... :D

Nah you ain't gettin it mate. This is my thread for realising I'm getting older (and not being able to be as care free), not for complaining of old age or saying there's too many youths.
First night out I've been to where I felt older then most of the crowd. I'm sure there was a night when you realised "hmm almost everyone here is younger then me."

Also I know theres still some good tunes out there. I'm just saying that whilst everyones arguing about Mid-Range (must be like a hundred posts in this forum) I'm still craving the Grimey stuff.
..::Just When I Think I Know Wot Im Thinking::..

metalboxproducts

Post by metalboxproducts » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:19 am

Does it matter though? Your 21 and the people you are talking about are 17, 18, 19, oh and maybe 20. Not much of a difference really. You're coming across as a bit of an age snob tbh. I think you are quite comical.
magma wrote: I must fellate you instantly."?
Close The Door available here vvvvvvvv
http://www.digital-tunes.net/labels/metalbox
http://www.myspace.com/metalboxproducts
every thursday 10-12 gmt

deepsteppa

Post by deepsteppa » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:57 am

Hide_One wrote:
deepsteppa wrote:

Safe

Well you should feel old coz 29 is fucking ancient... :D

Nah you ain't gettin it mate. This is my thread for realising I'm getting older (and not being able to be as care free), not for complaining of old age or saying there's too many youths.
First night out I've been to where I felt older then most of the crowd. I'm sure there was a night when you realised "hmm almost everyone here is younger then me."

Also I know theres still some good tunes out there. I'm just saying that whilst everyones arguing about Mid-Range (must be like a hundred posts in this forum) I'm still craving the Grimey stuff.
:i:

gwa

Post by gwa » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 am

i love drum & bass.

(in an anchorman esq style moment)
Soundcloud

AUGUST 2012 MIX / DEEP / TECH / HOUSE
Follow me on Twitter
@malcolmzulu

These users Little Downed! this user:
Everyone

kay

Post by kay » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:50 am

:u: It's quite meh whenever I hear people in their early-to-mid-20s say "Ugh, I'm getting old now blah blah blah". And it happens a lot.

I'm 32 and happily "raving" it up with the "kids".

And frankly speaking, it's not always just the young'uns that contribute to the jump up/messy booze/aiming for shagfest/crappy nights, plenty of "older" people in their 20-30s do the same too. And probably make the vibe even worse to be honest because they're even more desperate for action of any kind. I'm quite certain a significant portion of people in those clubs aren't students or student-age.

In some cases, I sometimes prefer a crowd that leans slightly towards a younger mix because it has a tendency to have a friendlier, go with the flow feel. Of course, it has to be balanced against how much booze and drugs they can handle. A good night can get annoying pretty quickly if it's filled with people who can't handle whatever they've taken.

abs

Post by abs » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:51 am

firky wrote:(and he's too young to have ever been raving)
eh?

there are raves all the time where i live, have been for years.

(unless you meant back in the day raves)

NilsFG

Post by NilsFG » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm 17 but I can relate to these opinions.

firky

Post by firky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:01 pm

abs wrote:
firky wrote:(and he's too young to have ever been raving)
eh?

there are raves all the time where i live, have been for years.

(unless you meant back in the day raves)
Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994... :wink:

Actually when did legal parties / gatherings started to be called raves, it's something I have noticed a few tiems? There's the odd rave still knocking around but I would assume the raves you have been to have been licenced.
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

funtcase

Post by funtcase » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm

hey man, thanks for coming to our night, we did the best we could ;)

on another note...it may sound like im being sarcastic but im not, this is a genuine question, and defo not to make you look stupid in ANY way before i get the forum beef that is so sensitive these days...

did you not realise the warehouse project had skream and benga there? down the road the same night?

:u:
I AM LOEFAH

FuntCase - http://www.myspace.com/funtcase