moving to london

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
upstateface

Re: moving to london

Post by upstateface » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:03 am

Damnit now I wanna move to london.
knell wrote:i have the weirdest boner right now

tr0tsky

Post by tr0tsky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 am

z.u.bee wrote:
tr0tsky wrote:Camden is a lol. I moved there when I first came down to London.

There's literally NO drum and bass or dubstep in London though. You're better off going to somewhere banging like North Wales.
:o

thats strange!!! i always go out to dubstep or dnb events never had any difficulty finding them either... :lol:
I went to this one place....a scream bar on Tottenham Court Road called the Court once. I thought it would play dubstep coz it's a skream bar. It was full of posh birds from UCL.

Also Australian boy, a new Ninja tradition has formed which is pizza at Icco's on Goodge Street and then a couple of bitter-shandies (not hand unfortunately :( ) at The Fitzroy Tavern on Charlotte Street.

It's near Camden and involves pizza. And Magma. BUT you have to wear a suit to attend.
Babylon Rocket.

Post by __________ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 am

fuck, i wouldn't move to london if you paid me £10 an hour to sit at home.
horrible, nasty, paranoid, unsociable, cramped, rude, stinky, dirty, dangerous place.

sounds of the universe is the best bit about london, but its got mail order, so don't bother actually going to the city for real.

gwa

Post by gwa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 am

I'm sure he's gonna love that post
Soundcloud

AUGUST 2012 MIX / DEEP / TECH / HOUSE
Follow me on Twitter
@malcolmzulu

These users Little Downed! this user:
Everyone

tr0tsky

Post by tr0tsky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 am

£10 Bag wrote:fuck, i wouldn't move to london if you paid me £10 an hour to sit at home.
horrible, nasty, paranoid, unsociable, cramped, rude, stinky, dirty, dangerous place.

sounds of the universe is the best bit about london, but its got mail order, so don't bother actually going to the city for real.

Brother, you come from Cornwall.

It's like the Scottish without drinking.

The Welsh without Charlotte Church.

The Irish with rocket propelled grenades.
Babylon Rocket.

magma

Post by magma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 am

gwa wrote:I'm sure he's gonna love that post
An opinion on life in London from someone that lives in Cornwall.

Reliable.

Reminds me of Alan Partridge - "Go to London, you'll either get mugged or not appreciated"

When I was a teenager around Somerset I hated the idea of London. Then a friend moved here and I came up more and more... just fell in love with it. I still get kicks when I walk past blue plaques I hadn't noticed or connect buildings to my favourite bits of history, walk past legendary pubs and clubs or hail a cab in the middle of nowhere with no fuss at 4.30am.... the city is alive with hundreds of years of stories and world-changing events and they're still occurring every day; it's impossible to be bored here.

If you're into history at all, try this out... my brother (Uncle Bill) leant it to me when I moved to London and I read it off and on for the first year or so I was here (it's LONG and best read on sunny days in parks, I found!), but it's enriched my experience of this city no end:

I'll give it back to you soon, I promise, Bill!
Meus equus tuo altior est

"Let me eat when I'm hungry, let me drink when I'm dry.
Give me dollars when I'm hard up, religion when I die."
nowaysj wrote:I wholeheartedly believe that Michael Brown's mother and father killed him.

BaronVon

Post by BaronVon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:28 am

£10 Bag wrote:fuck, i wouldn't move to london if you paid me £10 an hour to sit at home.
You would love Bangkok :D
tr0tsky wrote: InI man nuh go to nah rasclot independent ethnic butchers seen.
Selassie-I man shop in Morrisons.

lil-tee

Post by lil-tee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:06 pm

I started working in London this week, commuting from Oxford every day though. *Yawwwwwwwwwwwn*

I'm based in Picadilly Circus which seems alright so far, not sure about moving down here yet, was thinking West London is anywhere. Either that or I might pack it all in for Uni.

firky

Post by firky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 pm

lil-tee wrote:I started working in London this week, commuting from Oxford every day though. *Yawwwwwwwwwwwn*
My mate used to do that and when she was skint at the end of the month she'd do it on the shuttle bus. Paid off though, she's now on £40k plus a year and the same age as me :o
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

lil-tee

Post by lil-tee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:29 pm

firky wrote:
lil-tee wrote:I started working in London this week, commuting from Oxford every day though. *Yawwwwwwwwwwwn*
My mate used to do that and when she was skint at the end of the month she'd do it on the shuttle bus. Paid off though, she's now on £40k plus a year and the same age as me :o
Yeah I'm going by train at the mo, the shuttle bus is long, but so much cheaper. Good experience though as a 20 year old, how old are you?

magma

Post by magma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm based in Picadilly Circus which seems alright so far, not sure about moving down here yet, was thinking West London is anywhere. Either that or I might pack it all in for Uni.
Where do you work around Picadilly? You should pop over for Ninja drinks next time we get together... it was W1 business last time.

tr0tsky will be there mind.... what a tnuc, eh?

nowaysj wrote:I wholeheartedly believe that Michael Brown's mother and father killed him.

lil-tee

Post by lil-tee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:36 pm

magma wrote:

Where do you work around Picadilly? You should pop over for Ninja drinks next time we get together... it was W1 business last time.

tr0tsky will be there mind.... what a tnuc, eh?
Great Windmill street, 2min walk from the tube station, haven't had chance to walk around much, just between the tube and the office, and finding places to eat really.
Ninja drinks sounds good though, it'd be good to see people round here that aren't part of work spend 12 hours a day with some of these people so it gets a bit much!

firky

Post by firky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:56 pm

lil-tee wrote:
firky wrote:
Yeah I'm going by train at the mo, the shuttle bus is long, but so much cheaper. Good experience though as a 20 year old, how old are you?
More than 25 less than a hundred ;)
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

deamonds

Post by deamonds » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Needs more LDN vs Cornwall

London: Pro's// Music wise, it's the best in the country

Cons// The Tube, boris johnson

Cornwall: Pro's// It is probably about a third as bate as what it is in LDN, i bet the old bill dont have a clue.

Cons: It's Cornwall.

Post by __________ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:48 pm

tr0tsky wrote: Brother, you come from Cornwall.

It's like the Scottish without drinking.

The Welsh without Charlotte Church.

The Irish with rocket propelled grenades.
...yeah, its basically the UK minus the shit bits...what's not to love?!
magma wrote:
gwa wrote:I'm sure he's gonna love that post
An opinion on life in London from someone that lives in Cornwall.

Reliable.
BORN CORNISH. I don't just live here 30% of the year like all of the rich gypsies who move down from up cuntry to get a piece of the pretty beach pie. stnuc.
magma wrote:the city is alive with hundreds of years of stories and world-changing events
so's our county!
+
we've never been conquered by ANYONE. unlike you English pussies.
formally, historically, we have never been a part of england. Henry VIII chatted about Kernow as a separate nation to England.
we've got a declaration of independence.
we've got our own language.
pretty much all our place names are Cornish...fucked up like Goonbell, Goongumpas, Goonown, Goonhilly, Plainangwarry, Praze-an-Beeble, Lanner, Redruth, Poldark...crazy shit like that...better than Regent Street or Picadilly Circus - they are chi-chi names.

+
"It remains an undisputed fact that Cornwall, once a separate country, has never formally been integrated into England, which is why some even today still believe that Cornwall and England are technically two distinct countries - they maintain that it takes a specific Act of Parliament to merge the two countries, as opposed to merging them by stealth."

+
pasties

+
aphex twin
(if you're into that kind of thing)

+
only one 'city' but its not even a city really

minus points are all the people who've moved here from oop cuntry, massive water bills, extreme house prices, lack of decent venues and the fact our national identity is being supressed.

its better than London, but still, don't come here - GO TO LONDON :D

firky

Post by firky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Baggy's post is just as valid as the rest and perhaps more so, he's an outsider so probably has a better perspective than most being not so Londoncentric. London is a smelly impersonal shit hole and it can be dodgy (although Ive never had any bother, minus one mugging which I brought upon myself), I'd hate to live in London and be on less than £20k a year.

I love London and miss it but in the same breath... I don't! :)
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

fairieswearboots

Post by fairieswearboots » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:10 pm

I grew up in Cornwall - moved to London for 8 years, had enough moved back to Devon and got cussed by my Cornish mates for living in Devon -

when you get past 30, living somewhere OUTSIDE London is WAY better than living in it

Then you can enjoy the beach, go surfing, fresh air etc and still come up to London for a messy weekend

Best of both worlds :wink:

tr0tsky

Post by tr0tsky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:35 pm

£10 Bag wrote: "It remains an undisputed fact that Cornwall, once a separate country, has never formally been integrated into England, which is why some even today still believe that Cornwall and England are technically two distinct countries - they maintain that it takes a specific Act of Parliament to merge the two countries, as opposed to merging them by stealth."
Other than the fact that:

You speak English (and I bet you know fuck-all Cornish)

Your MP's sit in Westminster

You use pound sterling

You're dependent on 'English' warships and planes for your 'defence'

You study for GCSE's and A-Levels (or in your case, GNVQ)

Your bank account is based in the Gherkin.

Your declaration of independence hasn't ever seen the light of day.

Fuck, even the Welsh have an Assembly. You fools ain't got shit.
Babylon Rocket.

magma

Post by magma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:42 pm

tr0tsky wrote:
£10 Bag wrote: "It remains an undisputed fact that Cornwall, once a separate country, has never formally been integrated into England, which is why some even today still believe that Cornwall and England are technically two distinct countries - they maintain that it takes a specific Act of Parliament to merge the two countries, as opposed to merging them by stealth."
Other than the fact that:

You speak English (and I bet you know fuck-all Cornish)

Your MP's sit in Westminster

You use pound sterling

You're dependent on 'English' warships and planes for your 'defence'

You study for GCSE's and A-Levels (or in your case, GNVQ)

Your bank account is based in the Gherkin.

Your declaration of independence hasn't ever seen the light of day.

Fuck, even the Welsh have an Assembly. You fools ain't got shit.
Nothing says "I live in a seperate country" than a little black sticker with a white cross on your car.

Boy Better Kernow.

tr0tsky

Post by tr0tsky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:36 pm

A man has been arrested following threats made against Jamie Oliver and Rick Stein by an extremist group in Cornwall, where the celebrity chefs have restaurants.

Devon and Cornwall police said today that a 36-year-old man from Padstow had been arrested in connection with threats to destroy or damage property.

He was arrested on July 4 and was later released on police bail until August 14 when he will have to report to Newquay police station.

The police spokesman said officers were conducting parallel inquiries into the alleged threats made to the two chefs.

Last month, a group calling itself the Cornish National Liberation Army (CNLA) said in an email that Oliver would be a target because he was "another incomer who has caused the inflation of house and other living costs at Cornish expense".

The group's "directing council" also said Oliver's clients and customers were targets.

The CNLA accused Stein of being seen to "ride over local democracy" and threatened to burn down one of his businesses in Padstow and target the cars of diners.

The CNLA, which claimed to include members of the An Gof organisation - militants suspected of a series of attacks in the 1980s, including an explosion at a courthouse in St Austell - also said it would target anyone who flew the flag of St George, which they called "imperialistic and tainted".

But police sources said last month they were unclear whether the threats were the work of cranks operating from a spare bedroom or something more serious.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/jul/1 ... messturcke
Babylon Rocket.