Ex News of the World journo admits 'destroying' suicide

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
firky

Ex News of the World journo admits 'destroying' suicide

Post by firky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 am

This is horrible.

Ex NOTW journalist Paul McMullan, BBC Radio 4, 2010, repeated, July 2011.

Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

HamCrescendo

Re: Ex News of the World journo admits 'destroying' suicide

Post by HamCrescendo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:33 am

hes like a viz caricature of your typical bleary eyed drunken hack.

edit: just heard steve coogan tore him apart on newsnight... iplayering that shit

editedit: the newsnight presenter just called him a tortured soul, will self called him feral and rat like, and according to another forum im on he hasnt changed his clothes in any of his interviews for a week
Last edited by HamCrescendo on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Words

Post by Words » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:22 am

got to wonder why that guy keeps agreeing to appear on tv, just gets ripped a new one every time

jameshk

Post by jameshk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:22 am

Ouch. Sounds like he's gona be the next person taking their own life.
Soundcloud
P Daley wrote:Ended up at a party last night with a bunch of people I don't know and blacked out,
Woke up this morning with an email about ordering a $70 pair of UFO pants.

pk-

Post by pk- » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:45 am

McMullan's been a glorious car crash throughout this whole thing. I thought Paxman was going to nut him when he said "everybody's talking about phone hacking like's it a big deal" on Newsnight the other day

firky

Post by firky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Words wrote:got to wonder why that guy keeps agreeing to appear on tv, just gets ripped a new one every time
He gives his reasons quite explicitly towards the end of the video.
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

aspect-dubz

Post by aspect-dubz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:06 pm

mcmullen gets shot down again

yoowan

Post by yoowan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:48 pm

you're not wrong, you're just an asshole

firky

Post by firky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:55 pm

yoowan wrote:
Jurrasic Park!
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

.onelove.

Post by .onelove. » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Is it wrong that I half-agree with the NOTW chap? -q-

He has a point, as immoral and trashy as their use of phone hacking was, could clamping down with regulation be a greater cost? Greater Govt. control of the press is a really, really not a solution to this.

Also, as much as I like Coogan, he's just irate for being called out on his own scandals rather than the overall morality of the issue.

NilsFG

Post by NilsFG » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Tabloids etc should just be banned.

firky

Post by firky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

NilsFG wrote:Tabloids etc should just be banned.
WHAT?A JUST LIKE HITLA DID??? YOU NAZ!
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.

ahier

Post by ahier » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

.onelove. wrote:Is it wrong that I half-agree with the NOTW chap? -q-

He has a point, as immoral and trashy as their use of phone hacking was, could clamping down with regulation be a greater cost? Greater Govt. control of the press is a really, really not a solution to this.

Also, as much as I like Coogan, he's just irate for being called out on his own scandals rather than the overall morality of the issue.
yes but this isnt about governments taking control of the press, its about journalists committing crime and thinking themselves above the law in the name of "free press". telling the truth in news doesnt mean blackmail and hacking.

and anyway, government control of the press or rupert murdoch control of the press: which is worse? or, even, what is the difference?

the acid never lies

Post by the acid never lies » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:16 pm

ahier wrote:and anyway, government control of the press or rupert murdoch control of the press: which is worse? or, even, what is the difference?
Precisely. The only preferable alternative is to revolutionise the press altogether. A very good book which concerns the radical roots of republicanism and what kind of press a democratic society needs is The Return of the Public by Dan Hind. It puts a very compelling case forward and is generally a cracking read.

http://news.fitzrovia.org.uk/2011/06/21 ... -dan-hind/
Last edited by the acid never lies on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.onelove.

Post by .onelove. » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:18 pm

ahier wrote:

yes but this isnt about governments taking control of the press, its about journalists committing crime and thinking themselves above the law in the name of "free press". telling the truth in news doesnt mean blackmail and hacking.

and anyway, government control of the press or rupert murdoch control of the press: which is worse? or, even, what is the difference?
But this is exactly the type of excuse the Government would use to clamp down on things that can question their order. It's all too familiar in recent years with the censoring of the internet and laws against terror.

I'm not against regulation, for instance yeah Murdoch's monopoly should definitely be reigned in. But would I rather have him enforcing his own agenda on the public, or be faced with a Government monitored paper that covers up any negative light upon them? Hmmmmm

the acid never lies

Post by the acid never lies » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:21 pm

It's quite clear that there is a lot of tit for tat between government and the media. There is a point at which their interests coalesce but I don't think people take that fact with nearly the amount of due seriousness it deserves when mulling over the idea of press freedom vs. government control which is by and large a false dichotomy.

ahier

Post by ahier » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:34 pm

.onelove. wrote:
ahier wrote:

But this is exactly the type of excuse the Government would use to clamp down on things that can question their order. It's all too familiar in recent years with the censoring of the internet and laws against terror.

I'm not against regulation, for instance yeah Murdoch's monopoly should definitely be reigned in. But would I rather have him enforcing his own agenda on the public, or be faced with a Government monitored paper that covers up any negative light upon them? Hmmmmm
yes but his enforced agenda is the government; notice the pattern that who he is backing is who wins, since margaret thatcher. if his influence was dissolved then politics could surely become more about real politics than appeasing redtops? its idealistic, but its a hope - all this rocking of establishment is far too exciting for me to feel cynical about it yet

the acid never lies

Post by the acid never lies » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:42 pm

It's only idealistic if it isn't rooted in concrete analysis and a plan of action. Shall we set a date? ;)

ahier

Post by ahier » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:49 pm

the acid never lies wrote:It's only idealistic if it isn't rooted in concrete analysis and a plan of action. Shall we set a date? ;)
IM IN

(http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 09535.html this is who i stole my ideas off)

nicenice

Post by nicenice » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:07 pm

I quite like him.