10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
User avatar
youthful_implants
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 am
Location: wheel up the tune fast like ramadan

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by youthful_implants » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:07 am

I was 25 in a car with my grandmother driving to Edinburgh. It came on the radio and we were like WTF.

Got to Edinburgh and sat in front of the telly for a couple of hours watching it unfold, pretty speechless. Thought that it was the beginning of WW3 and some nuclear retaliation was inevitable. That was a little paranoid but still.

Now I am so over it.
720bass.com | Strontium | Future Perfect

FACEBOOK
SOUNDCLOUD
TWITTER
TUMBLR

User avatar
Lystric
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:47 am
Location: downunder

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by Lystric » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 am

icanicant wrote:came in from school and my dad was watching it.He told me what had happened but tbh I was not old enough to understand the significance of it

User avatar
pkay
Posts: 6708
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am
Location: Stop Six (USA)
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by pkay » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 am

19, working on whiteman air force base.

Had just got done working on a nuclear test run on the b-2s until 6am. Had about 2 hours of sleep and got a beating on my door. Was recalled to communications squadron and didn't leave that building for over 4 days.

Remember working flightline comm in the following weeks and wearing a gasmask for 18 hours straight because of crop duster warnings in our area. Carried an m-16 everywhere for months. Remember sleeping in my bed, hearing C-130's and B-2's backfiring and jumping out of bed thinking it was a bomb.

Signing the first bombs dropped on Afghanistan and knowing we were bombing them before anyone in the world. Seeing the pilots of those same b-2s returning absolutely gutted over what they had to do.

I dunno so many memories. Mostly about innocence lost. My life at 19 was very different than most people i know at 19 or 19 year olds nowadays.

Phigure
Posts: 14134
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by Phigure » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 am

pkay wrote:19, working on whiteman air force base.

Had just got done working on a nuclear test run on the b-2s until 6am. Had about 2 hours of sleep and got a beating on my door. Was recalled to communications squadron and didn't leave that building for over 4 days.

Remember working flightline comm in the following weeks and wearing a gasmask for 18 hours straight because of crop duster warnings in our area. Carried an m-16 everywhere for months. Remember sleeping in my bed, hearing C-130's and B-2's backfiring and jumping out of bed thinking it was a bomb.

Signing the first bombs dropped on Afghanistan and knowing we were bombing them before anyone in the world. Seeing the pilots of those same b-2s returning absolutely gutted over what they had to do.

I dunno so many memories. Mostly about innocence lost. My life at 19 was very different than most people i know at 19 or 19 year olds nowadays.
fuck :(
j_j wrote:^lol
Soundcloud | Twitter

User avatar
tacospheros
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: sing sing, NY

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by tacospheros » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:46 am

noam wrote:
borrowed wrote:
firky wrote:10 years ago today I was on my Nokia 3310 like a badman to my brother when it happened. He told me over the phone and I waited for the punchline; thinking he was joking.

Now ten years on they're still harping on about. Get the fuck over it you soft American shits and learn a bit of that British stiff upper lippness; treating a tragedy with dignified silence and respect... not a fucking media friendly soundbyte "9/11" and waving that shit flag of yours about like some fucking special needs kid on sports day.
implying this is a result of american character rather than the evolution of 50 years of sensationalist news media in america :corntard:
the two go hand in hand

a countries media both represents and directly influences the thoughts and actions of its people


no
wub wub wub wub wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub

http://lucidbackflips.wordpress.com/
@tacosphere tweet tweet, muthafucka

User avatar
sigbowls
Posts: 11188
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:31 am
Location: sigland

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by sigbowls » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 am

now there building them again
blazen the raisin

User avatar
mks
Posts: 4155
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Planet Earth

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by mks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:26 am

tacospheros wrote:
noam wrote:
borrowed wrote:
firky wrote:10 years ago today I was on my Nokia 3310 like a badman to my brother when it happened. He told me over the phone and I waited for the punchline; thinking he was joking.

Now ten years on they're still harping on about. Get the fuck over it you soft American shits and learn a bit of that British stiff upper lippness; treating a tragedy with dignified silence and respect... not a fucking media friendly soundbyte "9/11" and waving that shit flag of yours about like some fucking special needs kid on sports day.
implying this is a result of american character rather than the evolution of 50 years of sensationalist news media in america :corntard:
the two go hand in hand

a countries media both represents and directly influences the thoughts and actions of its people


no
Seriously, the media does not reflect and influence all of the thoughts and actions of all of the people. That's a broad, sweeping statement right there.

They fucking try though. Fuck Fox, fuck CBC, fuck BBC.

knell
Secret Ninja Moderator
Posts: 8752
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by knell » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:07 am

noam wrote: a countries media represents the thoughts of its people
i sincerely hope this is not the case for wherever you live.. but it is most certainly not the case for america/americans as a whole or in specific areas. That is truly generalization/speculation at its finest.

That was honestly one of the most ignorant things i have ever read.

yong
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:17 am
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by yong » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 am

10 years ago today, 8 year-old me was taking a tour of the U.S. Capitol building with my family. Ended up getting evacuated.

Phigure
Posts: 14134
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by Phigure » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 am

yong wrote:10 years ago today, 8 year-old me was taking a tour of the U.S. Capitol building with my family. Ended up getting evacuated.
shit yong
j_j wrote:^lol
Soundcloud | Twitter

particle-jim
Posts: 10747
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Hermosillo, Mexico via South London
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by particle-jim » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 am

my 12 year old self heard about it while i was at school, after school went to my nan's house and saw it all on tv... still remember it vividly, flashbulb memory
imami wrote:i put secret donks in all my tunes, just low enough so you can't hear them
http://www.soundcloud.com/particle
http://www.mixcloud.com/particlejim

soul dead
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 am

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by soul dead » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 am

knell wrote:
noam wrote: a countries media represents the thoughts of its people
i sincerely hope this is not the case for wherever you live.. but it is most certainly not the case for america/americans as a whole or in specific areas. That is truly generalization/speculation at its finest.

That was honestly one of the most ignorant things i have ever read.
I think you're misunderstanding what he means by media. a country's media/literature/any 'intellectual' product it produces definitely represents the conscious and unconscious desires of its people, as well as shaping them.
:4:

dubloke
Posts: 7679
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:57 am
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by dubloke » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am

I was 11 and was in woodwork at school
Image<<<Soundcloud
Facebook
http://www.mixcloud.com/shibuiprojectbrighton/shibui-007-dubloke/
NEW MIX FOR SHIBUI FESTIVAL
SimplyVinyl|AKA AKA ROAR|Below The Line

User avatar
Soiree
Posts: 2906
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Humboldt, CA

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by Soiree » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

On the Bus to go to High School, I was a punk rocker and all the kids thought I was stoked, because I've always wanted to overthrow the government.
thekuku wrote:Nah never taking the piss. Not on DSF at least ;-)

User avatar
belalala
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: chi // ldn
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by belalala » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:25 am

i was 9, can remember it vividly. was in woodshop class when our teacher got pulled outside by another who had been watching the news in the break room. got pulled out again shortly afterward, to learn that the second had fallen. can't imagine how the thought process goes when you're teaching a group of 5th and 6th graders and have to responsibly and maturely break the news when you don't understand it yourself.

like many, i was too young to understand what was going on.. i remember my main concern was that my 10th birthday party (on the 20th) was going to be cancelled because of what had happened... we were going to a bowling alley dammit!
http://www.sublabrecords.com
http://submotion.co.uk/
http://www.wearerebels.com
http://pedacitas.tumblr.com
http://www.twitter.com/belazecker


"Sorry but a lot of this clean ass laptop music ain't cutting it for me right now, rub some poo poo in ya beats, make that shit dirty please" - Alexander Nut

User avatar
pkay
Posts: 6708
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am
Location: Stop Six (USA)
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by pkay » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 am

11 years ago today..... always get asked same question so share same story

I was 19, working on whiteman air force base.Had just got done working on a nuclear test run on the b-2s until 6am. Had about 2 hours of sleep and got a beating on my door. Was recalled to communications squadron and didn't leave that building for over 4 days.Remember working flightline comm in the following weeks and wearing a gasmask for 18 hours straight because of crop duster warnings in our area. Carried an m-16 everywhere for months. Remember sleeping in my bed, hearing C-130's and B-2's backfiring and jumping out of bed thinking it was a bomb. Signing the first bombs dropped on Afghanistan and knowing we were bombing them before anyone in the world. Seeing the pilots of those same b-2s returning absolutely gutted over what they had to do. I dunno so many memories. Mostly about innocence lost. My life at 19 was very different than most people i know at 19 or 19 year olds nowadays.

User avatar
Forum
Posts: 10686
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 am
Location: J R Hartley

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by Forum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:30 am

I was on the school bus, some kid told me 3 people had been killed
Image Image

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by Electric_Head » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 am

I was at work listening to it all unfold over the radio.
Image ImageImage Image
Image

joeki
Posts: 3265
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:32 pm
Location: Hest Side, Belgium

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by joeki » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am

I was already back from high school, eating a large bowl of home-made soup my mom had prepared for me. Was supposed to be playing counter-strike with my clanmembers but I got sucked into the drama on CNN. I turned on the television whilst there was still only one tower hit and everybody thought it was a cesna airplane or something. I then watched the whole thing unfold live on TV. Which is why I suppose it left such a big impression on most of us, even those that were not present in New York and the other affected area's.

I remember saying, yup that looks like a war will be coming soon.


11 years later.

User avatar
magma
Posts: 18810
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: 10 years ago today - what were you doing when you heard?

Post by magma » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 am

At work in Bristol. We were in a shared office building and everyone just piled into the Reception/Lobby to watch it together... almost total silence.

I wish it wasn't, but I imagine it will be etched on all our minds forever. Remembering an atrocity is fine, but dealing with the reasons for it happening is far more important than any memorial or all the revenge and social mistrust that's followed this one act committed by fairly few people... if anything good is to come out of September 11th it's the common knowledge that we're all capable of being just as unpleasant to each other as we are pleasant and that it's our choice entirely; we can live by bombs and be bombed, we can mistrust and be mistrusted or we can live with a smile and be smiled at in return.

Wake me up when September ends.
Meus equus tuo altior est

"Let me eat when I'm hungry, let me drink when I'm dry.
Give me dollars when I'm hard up, religion when I die."
nowaysj wrote:I wholeheartedly believe that Michael Brown's mother and father killed him.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests