Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
wub
Posts: 34156
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by wub » Fri May 11, 2012 7:11 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/ ... ecord.html
Image

The large-scale work soared to $86,882,500, breaking the artist's record of $72.84 million and eclipsing the $86.3 million paid for Francis Bacon's 'Triptych', 1976, in 2008 as the most expensive post-war artwork at auction.


Um...whut?

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Electric_Head » Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 am

Wow, it`s so detailed.
Image ImageImage Image
Image

Shum
Posts: 9851
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Shum » Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 am

Don't be hatin' on Mark Rothko.

wub
Posts: 34156
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by wub » Fri May 11, 2012 7:16 am

Not hating the art.

Slight issue with the amount paid for it.

Shum
Posts: 9851
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Shum » Fri May 11, 2012 7:23 am

Merely a reflection of the wealth that exists these days I suppose.

Fuck I would love a Rothko though.

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Electric_Head » Fri May 11, 2012 7:31 am

Shum wrote:Merely a reflection of the wealth that exists these days I suppose.
Things like this make me feel ill at the sheer gluttony/greed involved.
How can anyone justify spending that much on canvas and paint?
It just seems a bit pointless when you consider the amount of poverty around.
Image ImageImage Image
Image

kirky
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by kirky » Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 am

i don't care who it's by, it looks shit.

kirky
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by kirky » Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 am

Rothko has some very nice pieces though.

Why is it called Orange, red, yellow.
Looks more like - orange, orange, then a gold?. Unless the reds referring the background.. looks more pink to me though.

User avatar
karmacazee
Posts: 2428
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:11 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by karmacazee » Fri May 11, 2012 8:31 am

Why?
Agent 47 wrote: but oldschool stone island lager drinking hooligan slag fucking takeaway fighting man child is the one
Soundcloud

http://www.novacoda.co.uk

User avatar
fassyman
Posts: 1735
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by fassyman » Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

just google imaged him and every single one of his paintings look the same

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... 8QPekpn3Cg
r. mutt

Shum
Posts: 9851
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Shum » Fri May 11, 2012 8:47 am

His older surrealist stuff is quite different (and not nearly as good imo) from the later "multiform" pieces that everyone really loves him for.

exfox
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by exfox » Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 am

Shum wrote:Don't be hatin' on Mark Rothko.
:z:

User avatar
jameshk
Posts: 4530
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:55 am

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by jameshk » Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 am

Surely its the oneup-manship that they're paying a ridiculous amount for it rather than the actual quality of the artwork itself. It's a status symbol. Shame that so much money gets wasted on crazy stuff like this and doesn't go towards things that will help people.
Soundcloud
P Daley wrote:Ended up at a party last night with a bunch of people I don't know and blacked out,
Woke up this morning with an email about ordering a $70 pair of UFO pants.

User avatar
Basstronomer
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:26 am

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Basstronomer » Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am

Ridiculous :roll:

Pedro Sánchez
Posts: 7727
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:15 pm
Location: ButtonMoon

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Pedro Sánchez » Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am

Paying for Bacon.
Genevieve wrote:It's a universal law that the rich have to exploit the poor. Preferably violently.

Shum
Posts: 9851
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Shum » Fri May 11, 2012 9:03 am

Electric_Head wrote:
Shum wrote:Merely a reflection of the wealth that exists these days I suppose.
Things like this make me feel ill at the sheer gluttony/greed involved.
How can anyone justify spending that much on canvas and paint?
It just seems a bit pointless when you consider the amount of poverty around.
Hopefully the person who copped the painting has the same philanthropic spirit of it's previous owner.

User avatar
Johnlenham
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Johnlenham » Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 am

Is this the same guys work the caused such an uproar at the time that someone attacked one of his paintings with an axe?

wub
Posts: 34156
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by wub » Fri May 11, 2012 9:19 am

Johnlenham wrote:Is this the same guys work the caused such an uproar at the time that someone attacked one of his paintings with an axe?

Were they screaming "DO YOU READ SUTTER CAIN?" at the time?

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by Electric_Head » Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 am

Shum wrote:
Electric_Head wrote:
Shum wrote:Merely a reflection of the wealth that exists these days I suppose.
Things like this make me feel ill at the sheer gluttony/greed involved.
How can anyone justify spending that much on canvas and paint?
It just seems a bit pointless when you consider the amount of poverty around.
Hopefully the person who copped the painting has the same philanthropic spirit of it's previous owner.
Hopefully
Image ImageImage Image
Image

User avatar
arktrix45hz
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Most expensive piece of (post-war) art...

Post by arktrix45hz » Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 am

wub wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/ ... ecord.html
Image

The large-scale work soared to $86,882,500, breaking the artist's record of $72.84 million and eclipsing the $86.3 million paid for Francis Bacon's 'Triptych', 1976, in 2008 as the most expensive post-war artwork at auction.


Um...whut?
Dun kno the chicken tonight sizzle n stir jar! :cornlol:
http://45hertzofbass.com- Guest mixes and interviews with the likes of Danny Scrilla/Baitface/Mishva and more.

http://facebook.com/45hz
http://soundcloud.com/arktrix
Ask for AIM

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests