What game are you playing?

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
Johnlenham

Re: What game are you playing?

Post by Johnlenham » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:52 pm

well shit. Didnt realize If I activated on Origin it would not let steam have it aswell :(

Sexual_Chocolate

Post by Sexual_Chocolate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 pm

origin is a tnuc.

(except for the fact they gave away 1942 for free)
Laszlo wrote:and yay, upon imparting his knowledge to his fellow Ninjas, Nevalo spoke wisely that when aggrieved by a woman thou shalt put it in her bum.
Soundcloud
https://labelarecs.bandcamp.com

Electric_Head

Post by Electric_Head » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 am

Origin works fine.
What's the issue?
I can probably organize a steam key if you're incapable of operating origin.
It's tough, I know.

:lol:
Image ImageImage Image

Johnlenham

Post by Johnlenham » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 am

Ha, no I just prefer Steam. Though apparently I own Burnout Paradise and BF 2 aswell!

Forum

Post by Forum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 am

Does steam run like shit for everyone? My computer is pretty decent but it still takes about half an hour to start up properly.

Almost as bad as itunes
Image Image

Trichome

Post by Trichome » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 am

Steam is fine for me. I think it checks for updates when it starts, try disabling that
Soundcloud

When I first knifed man, it felt funny
Next day come, it became funny

skell1ngton777

Post by skell1ngton777 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am

southstar wrote:Does steam run like shit for everyone? My computer is pretty decent but it still takes about half an hour to start up properly.

Almost as bad as itunes
yeah theres no way steam should take that long to start up, maybe reinstall it?

Spamoni

Post by Spamoni » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Bought Tropico 4 over the weekend on Kalypso's Steam Sale, abso-fuckin-lutely addicted after just a few days of play. Would have never guessed an economy simulation could be so awesome.

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Spamoni wrote:Bought Tropico 4 over the weekend on Kalypso's Steam Sale, abso-fuckin-lutely addicted after just a few days of play. Would have never guessed an economy simulation could be so awesome.
EL PRESIDENTE!

JimmaJamJamie

Post by JimmaJamJamie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Started playing Dota 2 about a month ago and already clocked up over 220 hours, shit is addictive!

Anyone else that plays add me on Steam: JimmaJamJamie :)

wysockisauce

Post by wysockisauce » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 am

Dota 2 has the worst matchmaking system of any game. There are no labeled statistics or brackets to fall back on so there is no way to gauge your own relative skill level or that of your team mates/opponents. The only way to enjoy this game is with a 5 man premade queue imo.

I have also read that it will try to keep your wins at 50% and put you on a team of incompetent apes when you win too much. Dunno if that's true though. :lol:

Maccaveli

Post by Maccaveli » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 am

hugh wrote:replaying Rome Total War in anticipation of Rome 2!
Have to say, despite being a little bit dated in terms of some of the mechanics and options, the campaign is a lot more fun than Shogun 2 and I am really enjoying it playing as the Brutii at the moment
Each to their own but naaaaaaah. Diplomats, troop retraining, merchants, retarded AI and rebel factions are just impossibly frustrating to me after the improvements of Empire and Shogun 2. I'm currently playing an Oda campaign on hard in S2 and it's a blast.

Spamoni

Post by Spamoni » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Saw that Steam is selling the Just Cause bundle for 80% off - $5.99 for both of the original games and all DLC, just wondering if its worth it? Never played any of the Just Cause series

Electric_Head

Post by Electric_Head » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 pm

It's worth it.
Massive re playability and the mp.

Hours of fun using your grappling hook to hook cars onto helicopters and watching them fly away.
Image ImageImage Image

grillis

Post by grillis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm

just cause 2 for $2.99 is probably all u need.. there's another multiplayer beta test coming up at the end of the month..

ineffable

Post by ineffable » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:25 pm

wysockisauce wrote:Dota 2 has the worst matchmaking system of any game. There are no labeled statistics or brackets to fall back on so there is no way to gauge your own relative skill level or that of your team mates/opponents. The only way to enjoy this game is with a 5 man premade queue imo.

I have also read that it will try to keep your wins at 50% and put you on a team of incompetent apes when you win too much. Dunno if that's true though. :lol:
I believe there's "hidden" matchmaking brackets involved in Dota, i'm not 100% sure it actually exists but I feel like i'm playing lower skilled games when I play with some friends(who have way less wins than I do), also happens when I lose a bunch of matches and gets better when I start winning

also all picks are flooded with retarded people so I try to avoid that too.

there's also that trick of searching for your replays ingame to see what bracket you're in, but i think I heard something about that not being accurate.

collige

Post by collige » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:53 pm

wysockisauce wrote:Dota 2 has the worst matchmaking system of any game. There are no labeled statistics or brackets to fall back on so there is no way to gauge your own relative skill level or that of your team mates/opponents. The only way to enjoy this game is with a 5 man premade queue imo.

It's not true at all. The system tries to make the odds of winning any given match 50%, which is quite different from actually forcing you to lose. That's just bad players making up conspiracy theories about why they get matched with other bad players.

As far as statistics is concerned, everything is hidden so that people don't get flamed by everyone for being the worst on your team. ParasiTTe is basically right about how matchmaking works, everyone has their own personal matchmaking rating number that's used to determine who you get matched with. After the game is over, the game gets classified into normal, high, or very high bracket (which are something like 80%/12%/8% of games or something like that). Read posts by the developers on the dev forum or the Dotametrics blog MM FAQ if you want to learn more. You can use http://pubstats.me/ to find out what brackets your matches end up in.
Statement of Intent VIP / Sahaquiel v4 single out now on UK Trends.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Mixcloud | Twitter

Spamoni

Post by Spamoni » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Electric_Head wrote: Hours of fun using your grappling hook to hook cars onto helicopters and watching them fly away.
Sold.

wysockisauce

Post by wysockisauce » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 pm

In my experience statistics being hidden does nothing to reduce flaming. If you feed or do something stupid you will be flamed 99% of the time, statistics being irrelevant. If you play well your team will keep their mouths shut.

I like being able to see where I am at relative to other players and enjoy progressing through brackets or ladders. Hiding all that information takes away an enjoyable aspect of the game for me. It is also useful for gauging the competence of your team. I wont pick a support or initiator on a team full of retards because that's a guaranteed loss.

Liam92

Post by Liam92 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I've still to play Dota 2, had it installed since the beta for a few months now, it looks very hard though and I've heard people are not too welcoming to new players, so I'm severly put off!