Successful Cross-Species Brain Transplant

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
alphacat

Successful Cross-Species Brain Transplant

Post by alphacat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah, no abuse potential here.
NYTIMES wrote:
SCIENCE WATCH; Brain Transplants

Researchers have transplanted sections of embryonic quail brains into the brains of chick embryos; when they hatched, five of the chicks crowed like a quail.

The researchers, who reported their work in the current issue of Science, said they believed it was ''the first demonstration of cross-species behavioral transfer brought about by neuronal transplantaion.''

The scientists are at the Institute for Cellular and Molecular Embryology Research in Nogent-sur-Marne, near Paris, which is an agency of France's National Center for Scientific Research.

One of the authors of the report, Dr. Evan Balaban, is also associated with Rockefeller University's Field Research Center in Millbrook, N.Y. Reached in France by telephone, he explained that while the transfer of brain tissue from quail to chicken embryos was successful, quails who received transplants from chickens failed to hatch.

The researchers, who operated on 20 chicks, performed the transplants under the microscope after cutting small ''windows'' in the egg shells. After they hatched, 15 gave peeps typical of baby chicks. But the other five crowed in a manner typical of quail babies.

When the scientists dissected the brains of these birds, they found that the part of the brain that typically controls bird vocalization was entirely of quail origin.

Those who received transplants were able to walk about, peck at objects, eat food, react to sounds and ''interact with other animals,'' the researchers said. But the material that was transplanted contained other tissue in addition to that destined to evolve into brain cells. As a result, the animals began to reject the grafts about two weeks after hatching. None reached maturity.

In other experiments, quail who received spinal cord transplants hatched normally, Dr. Balaban said, adding that he hoped this would be achieved with the brain transplants.

The other authors of the report were Marie-Aimee Teillet and Nicole le Douarin.
:corntard: :corntard: :corntard:
Last edited by alphacat on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadly_habit

Re: Successful Cross-Species Brain Transplant

Post by deadly_habit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm

So can we have Jurassic Park yet?

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Meh, ANY scientific breakthrough can be abused. I'm amazed by this first of all. Let's just wait and see what useful things they can come up with.
deadly habit wrote:So can we have Jurassic Park yet?

Tbh, I think that making a "dinosaur from a chicken" (bla bla bla, being technical here but a chicken already is a dinosaur) is fucking animal abuse. A chicken with a tail will have no way to balance itself properly, would it?

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Goddamn it I just want to see some form of velociraptors or t rex in my lifetime.
That and I wanna know how close to birds or reptiles dinosaurs were.

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:47 pm

deadly habit wrote:Goddamn it I just want to see some form of velociraptors or t rex in my lifetime.
I hate to break it to you Deadly... :(

http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a-52 ... fe-1.11555
Jodorowsky wrote:Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 pm

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 pm

fucking cool

im not sure if chickens or quails make calls but itd be cool to see

most birds dont learn how to call until theyre like a year old and every one is unique (they can make other noises but not individual calls)
so itd be interesting to see how a songbird would go about learning calls with different set of vocal chords
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

Rappone

Post by Rappone » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Maybe Planet of the Apes is upon us, soon.

Sexual_Chocolate

Post by Sexual_Chocolate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 pm

deadly habit wrote:
:cornlol:

you could always just go to that dinosaur stage show
Laszlo wrote:and yay, upon imparting his knowledge to his fellow Ninjas, Nevalo spoke wisely that when aggrieved by a woman thou shalt put it in her bum.
Soundcloud
https://labelarecs.bandcamp.com

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 pm

alphacat wrote:
deadly habit wrote:Goddamn it I just want to see some form of velociraptors or t rex in my lifetime.
I hate to break it to you Deadly... :(

http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a-52 ... fe-1.11555
The way science has been progressing, I think it's unreasonable to say that we'll never clone a Velociraptor (though a Velociraptor looks more like a modern chicken than a Jurassic Park monster). Perhaps the halflife if DNA is limited and DNA itself cannot be used after 1.5 million years, but scientists always find ways to puzzle things together that we thoguht were impossible even a decade ago.

I remember having learned as little as 20 years ago that it's impossible to find out the colors of dinosaurs. But right now, if certain pigment cells get fossilized, we can.

So I don't think it's impossible that at one point in the future, perhaps not in our lifetimes, we discover remains that can accurately imply DNA and use that information to recreate DNA.

I'm basing this on nothing, obviously, other than history having consistently proven that when nature closes one door, science opens a window. We tend to discover things from places where we least expect them

In before someone who's a lot more well-versed in genetics than I am telling me I'm full of shit :p

namsayin

brasco

Post by brasco » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:59 pm

just watch

Soundcloud
incnic wrote:pictire disc ones track harder than the black ones due to the colopured pgment being magnetsed for the stylus

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:05 pm

deadly habit wrote:That and I wanna know how close to birds or reptiles dinosaurs were.
Closer to birds than reptiles, but both categories are outdated. But like I mentioned earlier, birds themselves are dinosaurs.

Check this out. It will say that theropod dinosaurs aren't extinct.

It says that therepods have been around from the late Triassic until present, and if you look under subgroups, you more and more progress into modern birds. This is cuz birds are technically Coelurosaurs, the same group of theropod dinosaurs that Velociraptor, Troodon and even Tyrannosaurs belonged to (one of T.rex's ancestors bore feathers, T.rex is essentially a gigantic birdlike dinosaur).

In fact, crocodile's closest living relatives ARE birds. Together they're the only two remaining groups of Archosaurs (crocodiles aren't dinosaurs, though. But dinosaurs (birds) and crocodiles represent two opposite ends of the group we call archosaurs).

namsayin

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 pm

^ 5/5 bretty good
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Genevieve wrote:
deadly habit wrote:That and I wanna know how close to birds or reptiles dinosaurs were.
Closer to birds than reptiles, but both categories are outdated. But like I mentioned earlier, birds themselves are dinosaurs.

It says that therepods have been around from the late Triassic until present, and if you look under subgroups, you more and more progress into modern birds. This is cuz birds are technically Coelurosaurs, the same group of theropod dinosaurs that Velociraptor, Troodon and even Tyrannosaurs belonged to (one of T.rex's ancestors bore feathers, T.rex is essentially a gigantic birdlike dinosaur).

In fact, crocodile's closest living relatives ARE birds. Together they're the only two remaining groups of Archosaurs (crocodiles aren't dinosaurs, though. But dinosaurs (birds) and crocodiles represent two opposite ends of the group we call archosaurs).
Thankfully they never evolved wings. Have you seen crocodile poop? :o

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

alphacat wrote:
Genevieve wrote:

I think you just came up with a golden plot for a Syfy original movie.

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

alphacat wrote:
Genevieve wrote:

MAYNE, I shit oyu not. There was an old hypothesis that it was actually crocodile-like animals that evolved into birds.. They didn't, but the way crocodile evolution went, it shouldn't surprise anyone. They were diverse and modern crocs probably had a warmblooded ancestor.

namsayin

hugh

Post by hugh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm

I thought wobbles had already gone through this procedure tbh
Lost Dreams - Final
Soundcloud
Ipso Facto - Final
Soundcloud

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Years and years ago - think as a teen - I read a science fiction short story (called "Day of the Dragon" by Guy Endore, written in 1932 :o ) where some scientist discovered that gators and crocs had some weird structural heart anomaly that was only utilized by part of the animal's anatomy, so they attempted an experimental surgical procedure to "fix" the anomaly and lo and behold, it first started growing wings and its neck got longer, then breathing fire... i.e. they had been dragons the whole time just waiting to be activated. Then it gets loose and starts breeding.

Always wondered if that Reign of Fire movie was based on it at all. -q-

Deadly, you and me is gonna write a screenplay and sell it. Shall I fly out to NY state or you wanna come out to Cali seeing as your weather probably sucks gator balls right about now? :6:

Terpit

Post by Terpit » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 am

crazy
Soundcloud
♫•*¨*•.¸¸ This is a special Proper HQ Recording by myself !!! ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪*