Best/Worst Pop Music of the Last 5 Years

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
Sexual_Chocolate

Re: Best/Worst Pop Music of the Last 5 Years

Post by Sexual_Chocolate » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 am

well feel free to come here and take her back with you... because we are all sick of her shit, i can tell you that.
Laszlo wrote:and yay, upon imparting his knowledge to his fellow Ninjas, Nevalo spoke wisely that when aggrieved by a woman thou shalt put it in her bum.
Soundcloud
https://labelarecs.bandcamp.com

wub

Post by wub » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 am

Pure Heroine is a cracking album. I'd put it on a par with Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill.

Sexual_Chocolate

Post by Sexual_Chocolate » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:35 am

:lol:
Laszlo wrote:and yay, upon imparting his knowledge to his fellow Ninjas, Nevalo spoke wisely that when aggrieved by a woman thou shalt put it in her bum.
Soundcloud
https://labelarecs.bandcamp.com

sigbowls

Post by sigbowls » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:44 am

Riddles wrote:sooo, what makes good and bad kpop? out of curiosity

I don't mind it really, mainly cos it's usually really hot korean girls singing stuff i dont understand.
idk but i dont like the katy parys of kpop/ jpop
blazen the raisin

Riddles

Post by Riddles » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:49 am

fair enough.
soronery wrote:Too easy to sit behind a keyboard with a playlist of dubstep tunes on, arguing about the defintion of a word in relation to a sound.
All that melts away when the lights are down and the bass is up.

jrkhnds

Post by jrkhnds » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:20 am

I don't mind Lorde. not nearly as annoying as Jason Derulo and his attention-whoring friends.
AxeD wrote:I dunno, there's some thoroughly unemployed people on this forum.
Soundcloud

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:06 pm

It's probably nostalgia speaking but the mid-2000's era of pop, when 90% of pop was basically hip-hop/RNB and Timbaland produced half of what was on the radio was so much better than now. You could hear a sick nelly furtado tune, some decent-to-great akon, some peak-era justin timberlake, a proper rap-crossover tune like 50 Cent - PIMP or something, and then a Lauryn Hill/Fugees classic, one after the other when you'd randomly turn on the radio. Yeah there was bait stuff I'm probably forgetting, but I swear the situation was actually much better then.

We also had different electro house back then. It was a bit bait, yes, but it was so ultra sexed up and euro that you had to appreciate it lol. Like Benni Benassi, that "destination unknown" tune, "get your hands up for detroit" etc. They had the least classy videos in the world too, just pure objectified ass and tits mechanically shoved in your face, it was great :lol:. The modern booty vids like anaconda aren't the same, although I "appreciate" them too.

This year could have been worse TBF, some EDM trap styles sneaking in, which is alright. That Stay High tune is pretty nang, as is that Katy Perry Dark Horse one, as people have said. Turn Down For What is overplayed to shit, but it's pretty good and the closest the radio has gotten to like, Hudson Mohawke. On the other hand you've got a teeth-grinding cutesy indie sensibility that's been bubbling up to the top 40: Handclaps, chanty choruses, shit "natural voice" singing and guitar plucks are becoming more prevalent. Like that "when you close your eyes" tune or the "oh baby we'll be old and think about the stories that we could have told" tune, or any Mumford & Sons. Fuck that man. You've also got the "nu-disco/deep house" bits which are so fucking bland. I'm not talking disclosure even, disclosure is pretty good pop IMO, and at least proper dance music, I'm talking that muted 4x4 kick pop stuff that people put in "chill" playlists on youtube.

The absolute worst music you'll hear on the radio today is the tunes that are in the "shit indie/shit dance" crossover area, like the Avicii country tune (previously h8ed on in this thread) or those damn saxophone electro house tunes (iirc you had a little rant about those when we met jurkhands).

The years before tho, like 2010-2013 when EVERYTHING on the radio was electro-house with a big EDM drop, that was maybe even worse? Thoughts?

To start a discussion. what (plausible) direction would you like the radio to go in? What current influences on pop need to go out, which ones would you like to see played up?

IMO the current mainstream rap game is pretty strong, apparently they have big radio stations for that in the states, but you'll never hear A$AP or Migos or whatever on the radio here in Europe. If that stuff could be brought in and start forming the pop style, I'd be happy. Iggy Azelia is probably the first step in that direction, but I'm a little cold on her tunes. TBH I don't really see it happening, I fear it's more saxophone drops and shit indie singing intros here on.
RKM wrote: when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao

hubb

Post by hubb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:10 pm

[+] Spoiler
isn't it ironic is the worst most horrible human creation since rape or concervative patriarchy
OGLemon wrote:cowabunga dude

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-music-of-moby
fragments wrote:SWEEEEEEEEE!

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-t ... o-sweeeeee
Johnlenham wrote:evil euroland

hubb

Post by hubb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:13 pm

harkat you are awesome :W:

hubb

Post by hubb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 pm

I like this as an example of pop music turning just slightly deeper, like it has soul aspects to it - but it's still quite dance. That balance has been out of the mix for years imo - but it's not that far from recent pharrell stuff it's just not disco tinged..

magma

Post by magma » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:26 pm

hubb wrote:
[+] Spoiler
isn't it ironic is the worst most horrible human creation since rape or concervative patriarchy
Yep, but You Oughta Know is, was and always will be great.

I haven't heard the Lorde album, but from what I've seen of her she's not the enemy.
Meus equus tuo altior est

"Let me eat when I'm hungry, let me drink when I'm dry.
Give me dollars when I'm hard up, religion when I die."
nowaysj wrote:I wholeheartedly believe that Michael Brown's mother and father killed him.

hubb

Post by hubb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:27 pm

nnnnnghhh

magma

Post by magma » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:30 pm

I know someone says this every time it's brought up, but the only ironic thing about Ironic is that she wrote a song called Ironic without understanding what the word ironic actually means.

I think most blokes mine and wub's age got duped into knowing Jagged Little Pill so we could get into girls' bedrooms tbh... it's a bit of a creeper. I genuinely like most of it now. :lol:
Last edited by magma on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meus equus tuo altior est

"Let me eat when I'm hungry, let me drink when I'm dry.
Give me dollars when I'm hard up, religion when I die."
nowaysj wrote:I wholeheartedly believe that Michael Brown's mother and father killed him.

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm

That tune isn't bad Hubb. It has a bit of that deeper soul-ey style of singing that's been missing from the radio. Don't really feel the chorus or beat though.

That "Pour It Up" tune from Rihanna (AKA the video where she's a stripper) was probably the last good shot at the radio becoming properly hip hop again.

That tune was sick. A straight up Mike Will trap beat, no stupid buildups, no overstuffed production with too much going on, no need to shove a guitar bit, an EDM bit and a pop ballad bit all in there to appeal to everyone. A sexy trap beat and rihanna just properly singing on it. I never heard it on the radio though, it was likely most notable for having the most amount of rihanna's ass and tits in a video thus far.
RKM wrote: when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao

garethom

Post by garethom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Harkat wrote: To start a discussion. what (plausible) direction would you like the radio to go in?
24/7 Taylor Swift.

Forum

Post by Forum » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Harkat wrote:It's probably nostalgia speaking but the mid-2000's era of pop, when 90% of pop was basically hip-hop/RNB and Timbaland produced half of what was on the radio was so much better than now. You could hear a sick nelly furtado tune, some decent-to-great akon, some peak-era justin timberlake, a proper rap-crossover tune like 50 Cent - PIMP or something, and then a Lauryn Hill/Fugees classic, one after the other when you'd randomly turn on the radio. Yeah there was bait stuff I'm probably forgetting, but I swear the situation was actually much better then.
Opinions. For me that was some of the worst pop music there's been

that pimp tune in particular was the lowest form of stool
Image Image

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:54 pm

OK but like, Hate it or Love it. That's a tune everyone likes and you have nothing like that on the radio regularly today.

hubb

Post by hubb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:03 pm

I dont think Rihanna can sing at all. Like she is completely tone def. Im sorry. :|

Beyonce is weird in that she thinks she still has to impress us with her vocal range.
A super tacky Mariah/Whitney tradition that should just fuck off.

On top of that they kind of yell all the time because they think adlibs and stuff like that is ok in singing, which it isn't ... really. Like it's ok to do so, but it's not interchangable with actually singing. So it gets lazy and superficial.

I would blame that on the hiphop beats, so eventhough I kind of agree with you in that it's a good influence, I don't think they as artists can handle it - which is super weird - especially when someone like Beyonce makes a beat like this:

hubb

Post by hubb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Like the reason Beyonce is so big right now imo is not because of how good she is, it's more that she is very exclusively someone who has a smidge of credibility that journalists and people who buy opinions can hang a whole tradition of gospel, soul and love song tradition on top of and sort of convince them it's the james brown, aretha, stevie, mj continuum. The bar is so lowered that people buy into chris brown or timberlake as new mjs or princes - objectively retarded.. and I don't even like prince or mj at all :6: .

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:37 pm

Do the public care about that enough to where it shapes the radio playlists though? I'm not sure.

I can see what you're saying from a pitchfork reader perspective though. That stuff happens in every genre, underground or not. We've definitely had that discussion in the context of new UK music.
Having said that I don't know shit about the RNB continuum or whatever, I just liked the aforementioned crossover hip/hop rnb vibe that used to be the pop standard.

Actually, this right here would probably be the ideal semi-plausible pop direction for me: