Atheism

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
User avatar
AxeD
Posts: 9361
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Damstarem

Re: Atheism

Post by AxeD » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 am

I can identify with this. Some people make it out to be some kind of cult, because it used
to be edgy in the US I think. I remember cringing when Izzard 'dropped the 'A bomb' in a show.. Getting a standing ovation from all the other 'openly atheist' people in the audience :lol: It's basically not believing in something and making a religion out of it.
Agent 47 wrote:Next time I can think of something, I will.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 am

Yeah how annoying is it that they don't devote their life to a bunch of rules written thousands of years ago and believe in something with absolutely no scientific evidence?

The thread should be about how annoying theism is. I don't really care what anyones beliefs are unless those beliefs started fucking with other peoples lives, think of

Westborough Baptist Church
The bad side of Islam with Sharia Law and militants
Scientology cults making billions and fucking up peoples lives
Circumsising(?) and body mutilations
Crusades
Massacres
Wars
Ignorance to science and medicines
Rapes and murders from family members
Fake healings
Homophobia
Mass suicides and genocides
Spanish inquisition

Just to name a few. And whats Atheism done that can compare to that? I don't agree with militant atheism either because, well, live and let live.. If you believe in something and its making you happy then good for you, keep it up, and keep it to yourself.

But personally i'd rather not live my life in fear of a god without a reason to believe a god even exists, and what harm can come from believing in what is most logical with the evidence and circumstances that we have?

User avatar
hubb
Posts: 8823
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ

Re: Atheism

Post by hubb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 am

back before books people where all about huge burly men that knocked out little guys all the time with like sticks and whatnot


then one day, one little scrawney guy thought up the concept of the man in the sky
and got some of the burly men to hit the other burly men and now you are saying that it was a bad idea?
OGLemon wrote:cowabunga dude

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-music-of-moby
fragments wrote:SWEEEEEEEEE!

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-t ... o-sweeeeee
Johnlenham wrote:evil euroland

User avatar
Kochari
Posts: 2504
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:23 am
Location: quietly continuing

Re: Atheism

Post by Kochari » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:06 am

Image
Image
Image

Still think nothing bad is ever done in the name of atheism?

Though of course Jesslem is right, its not religion or atheism that causes war. Its people. People can be nasty or vicious or stupid or kind or helpful or saintly or generous regardless of their faith, or lack of it.
My name is Dom and I like making ambientish music and drinking tea. Nice to meet you.

Soundcloud

Kid Lazarus - Kochari - Free music

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:31 am

Not that it justifies things but anti-religious crimes are just a drop in the ocean compared to the millions of things going on everyday due to religion

It still bamboozles me there are societies where its acceptable to treat women as slaves, where you can stone your own daughter to death for being in love with someone, and the whole village will come out to watch... People are kidnapping school children and bombing schools in the name of religion

like wtf man its 2014 we have robots and drones and space exploration, why you living like its 1900bc

User avatar
Jizz
Posts: 3470
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: London

Re: Atheism

Post by Jizz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:47 am

Tbh religion is more of an excuse than a cause for war. The real cause is often a greed for power.

I dont think atheism is entirely solving this, because all this new focus on improving science and its resulting technology is hardly used to make peace. Its all just new kinds of drones and whatever

Riddles
Posts: 4819
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Brighton

Re: Atheism

Post by Riddles » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:58 am

wooo another religion thread!
Image
soronery wrote:Too easy to sit behind a keyboard with a playlist of dubstep tunes on, arguing about the defintion of a word in relation to a sound.
All that melts away when the lights are down and the bass is up.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Atheism isn't meant as a solution, its just choosing not to believe in blind faith and the paranormal

And it may not be invoking peace, but its at least making progress into how the universe was formed and will only ever bring us gradually closer to finding an answer to wether or not their is a god.

I dont mean to be disrespectful but just in Christianity alone, the fact that millions of people truly believe that miracles were performed by Jesus and that Noah built an ark that could fit billions of animals inside (an those are just a few examples) makes me struggle to take deeply religious people seriously at all. The same people who would outright dispute other gods like Zeus or Allah because that'd be "ridiculous".

I consider deeply religious people to be on par with people that believe in physic readings and homeopathy and astrology readings and idgaf if that makes me ignorant

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Atheism

Post by scspkr99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 pm

who do you think are responsible for religions failings?

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Idiots aka everyone

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Atheism

Post by scspkr99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 pm

I don't see it as religion doing anything tbh, we do, people like, we do things in religions name, in ideologies name, in our nations name, even in our football teams name. Religion is merely a something we've constructed which is not responsible for our failings it merely reflects them.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I understand your point but if you look back in history it's not hard to find cases against that

do you not believe people have done bad things out of fear of god, regardless of whether they believe its morally wrong or not?

User avatar
AxeD
Posts: 9361
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Damstarem

Re: Atheism

Post by AxeD » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Theism is worse. I wouldn't dare deny that. I just don't see the need for the 'social group' and a name for people who do not believe in deities. I'm not anti-theist, but I do not believe in a god.
Completely different from me being anti-war and also a pacifist :)

Marc Maron puts it into words nicely, I can't find the clip, but it's part of 'Thinky Pain'.
Agent 47 wrote:Next time I can think of something, I will.

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Atheism

Post by scspkr99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Sheff wrote:I understand your point but if you look back in history it's not hard to find cases against that

do you not believe people have done bad things out of fear of god, regardless of whether they believe its morally wrong or not?
Yeah absolutely but people do bad things for seemingly decent reasons all the time. I would have considered myself a Marxist and I remain sympathetic to aspects of it but it's been an ideology responsible for millions of deaths in a relatively short period of time. People are flawed the institutions they establish are flawed.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Thats true, people are fucked in the head way before you even take religion into consideration

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Sheff wrote:Yeah how annoying is it that they don't devote their life to a bunch of rules written thousands of years ago and believe in something with absolutely no scientific evidence?
I chose Atheism because I've spent my whole life living in cities and have failed to come across any of the minorities you've listed. That being said, it's remarks like that that actually make me dislike atheism tbh, the possibility that 'b' may be the worse of the two does not mean that 'a' isn't bad.
Sheff wrote:Not that it justifies things but anti-religious crimes are just a drop in the ocean compared to the millions of things going on everyday due to religion
You know Stalin killed 20 million people, right? And Mao killed as many as 45 million.
Sheff wrote: And it may not be invoking peace, but its at least making progress into how the universe was formed and will only ever bring us gradually closer to finding an answer to wether or not their is a god.
This one's interesting, so you believe that the question "does god exist?" can be 'answered' and you are certain that the answer is 'no'. This never occured to me before now, but I think that that's what separates me and atheism; I can agree with the latter but not the former. To me, that question is about as significant as 'is cheese tasty?', which is why people who get really aggy on one side of it tend to piss me off.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 pm

jesslem wrote:
Sheff wrote:Yeah how annoying is it that they don't devote their life to a bunch of rules written thousands of years ago and believe in something with absolutely no scientific evidence?
I chose Atheism because I've spent my whole life living in cities and have failed to come across any of the minorities you've listed. That being said, it's remarks like that that actually make me dislike atheism tbh, the possibility that 'b' may be the worse of the two does not mean that 'a' isn't bad.
Sheff wrote:Not that it justifies things but anti-religious crimes are just a drop in the ocean compared to the millions of things going on everyday due to religion
You know Stalin killed 20 million people, right? And Mao killed as many as 45 million.
Sheff wrote: And it may not be invoking peace, but its at least making progress into how the universe was formed and will only ever bring us gradually closer to finding an answer to wether or not their is a god.
This one's interesting, so you believe that the question "does god exist?" can be 'answered' and you are certain that the answer is 'no'. This never occured to me before now, but I think that that's what separates me and atheism; I can agree with the latter but not the former.

1. what minorities?
2. yep aware
3. nope i never said that im certain the answer is no, and tbh i don't think there will ever be any definitive answer, even if we come up with some pretty damning evidence against a god there always be an unanswered question, and the easiest way for people to answer a question that science cannot yet answer is to just say "because god"

At lease science is trying to come up with logical answers instead of just blindly putting faith in something which was created by humans
humans are idiots

I cannot say there is no god, nobody can, but all i can say is that in my opinion its most probable that there isn't a god based on the evidence we have and my current beliefs

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Are you religious jesslem?

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Atheism

Post by scspkr99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Sheff wrote:1. what minorities?
2. yep aware
3. nope i never said that im certain the answer is no, and tbh i don't think there will ever be any definitive answer, even if we come up with some pretty damning evidence against a god there always be an unanswered question, and the easiest way for people to answer a question that science cannot yet answer is to just say "because god"

At lease science is trying to come up with logical answers instead of just blindly putting faith in something which was created by humans
humans are idiots

I cannot say there is no god, nobody can, but all i can say is that in my opinion its most probable that there isn't a god based on the evidence we have and my current beliefs
It's also humans that discovered the laws of science, the scientific method is a human construct.

I'm agnostic in the strong sense in that my account of god is unknowable, it's a claim that's not falsifiable though so it's not particularly interesting

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:16 pm

The laws of science was in place long before humans. We didn't just discover them and document them and suddenly science exists.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests