Atheism

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 pm

emphasis on the world long btw

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Atheism

Post by scspkr99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:20 pm

That's what discover means Sheff. I didn't suggest we invented them though there are some anti-realist philosophers that would defend that we did.

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm

1. The ones you've listed which include circumcision and the westboro baptist church.
2. You're also aware that a lot of what goes on today is helped along by secular states?
3. But you said that studying cosmology will bring us closer to the answer? And if you recognize that there is always another question, then why claim to fuck with Atheism?

Personally, I wouldn't exactly say that cosmology is a science, I know it uses science a lot but it aims to do something outside of it. I also don't think science is absolutely true, the facts it produces are contemporary, so to speak.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that science is evidence against 'god', it's just information that conflicts with the more concrete religions.

No I'm not.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I'm not about to phrase this correctly but see if it makes sense, are there any non evolutionary, yet atheist, creation theories?
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

User avatar
lovelydivot
Posts: 2265
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Atheism

Post by lovelydivot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:27 pm

I guess I consider myself an Agnostic…

Because I believe there is some stuff going on…
but I'm not necessarily attributing it to "GOD"

It could just be some Biological or Cognitive "Magic"
that we haven't figured out yet…

or it could be Aliens - I am really not beyond believing
we could be an an experimental flesh farm…

And I really do like Religious expression…
Especially the Far Eastern ones - Thangkas,
the concept of Boddhisatvas…

Image

My favorite spiritual weapon is the Vajra…
I've had illuminating moments with it…

Image

…and recently I've been having some spiritual experiences
that could be classified as Native American…
ok - I got the Turtle Shell Eagle Claw Dance - twice now...

Image


So naturally - I'm greatly offended
when evangelicals try to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Especially with their hypocrisy…discrepancies
and extreme inability to understand their own religion.

Those stupid clowns can just fuck off.

And the entire middle east just killing themselves…
with bigotry and xenophobia...

Most "religion" is just failed law
- and not spiritual in nature at all.

The bad ones at least….the Institutional ones.
Last edited by lovelydivot on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Im just failing to see your point, sorry

I don't see what the connection between indisputable laws of science and living by a code written by man many years ago

or am i missing the point completely?



And Jesslem because you haven't encountered such things in your life does it mean its not such a problem? Im sure thats not what you're implying

And i really dont recall talking about cosmology

[quoute]Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that science is evidence against 'god', it's just information that conflicts with the more concrete religions.[/quote]

yeah i understand that man

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 pm

and you're saying because science can't answer all the questions then we shouldn't be fucking with atheism?

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Sheff wrote:Im just failing to see your point, sorry

I don't see what the connection between indisputable laws of science and living by a code written by man many years ago

or am i missing the point completely?



And Jesslem because you haven't encountered such things in your life does it mean its not such a problem? Im sure thats not what you're implying

And i really dont recall talking about cosmology

[quoute]Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that science is evidence against 'god', it's just information that conflicts with the more concrete religions.


yeah i understand that man[/quote]
What I'm saying is because scientific ideas are shrugged off whenever a better one comes along, which is increasingly frequent today, our understanding of anything in scientific terms is temporary, so though its general structure doesn't change the information drawn from it does all the time, which means that it's not 'true' in the purest sense. Really science is just the best of what we understand about events at any given point in time, so the science of today will be the astrology of tomorrow. So living your life to the absolute extreme of science isn't really any more valuable than doing so for any religion because the concepts themselves are dated and limited in their scope. It's the same thing just newer, at best. Cosmology is proof of that.

Could you quote the part that led you to saying "because you haven't encountered such things in your life does it mean its not such a problem?"

Forgive me, when you mentioned understanding how the universe was formed I thought you were speaking about Cosmology; the study of the formation of the universe which uses chemistry and physics.


To digress a little, I think hubb introduced a valid point about the morality of science and religion. Science tells us that the strongest survive and dominate the weakest, a bit sociopathic imo.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

Sheff
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Atheism

Post by Sheff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Oh right my bad, I was, but I thought you was quoting something specific I'd said when I was just talking about science and research generally


And I think it was from when you first quoted me, after i wrote about some of the bad things that were motivated by religion you was saying you haven't met any people associated with such things from your city

maybe im wrong but im in a poker tournament and having to type in 15 second bursts between hands so forgive me if im wrong

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Atheism

Post by scspkr99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Sheff wrote:Im just failing to see your point, sorry

I don't see what the connection between indisputable laws of science and living by a code written by man many years ago

or am i missing the point completely?
I was just responding to the idea that humans are stupid, those that discovered, are discovering, the laws of science may have a case against

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Sheff wrote:Oh right my bad, I was, but I thought you was quoting something specific I'd said when I was just talking about science and research generally


And I think it was from when you first quoted me, after i wrote about some of the bad things that were motivated by religion you was saying you haven't met any people associated with such things from your city

maybe im wrong but im in a poker tournament and having to type in 15 second bursts between hands so forgive me if im wrong
I said that in response to "why atheism as opposed to those things?" so it doesn't really make sense to jump to the conclusion that I don't think those things 'matter', heck I think the point I've been trying to prove is that atheism doesn't matter so people should shut up about it.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

User avatar
Muncey
Posts: 6580
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Northants/Manchester

Re: Atheism

Post by Muncey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:43 pm

jesslem wrote:Science tells us that the strongest survive and dominate the weakest, a bit sociopathic imo.
No it doesn't, not at all. This is a common misinterpretation of evolution and is a very common argument among creationists.. apparently according to science the strongest survive and we act as individuals to fuck everybody over (dominate the weakest). Thats not what evolution says at all, it says the strongest gene pool survives.. if that means living together in harmony and equally then that's what "strongest" means. We aren't the only species to help each other out, protect our young/weak.. a lot of species rely on helping each other out and working together to protect themselves in order to survive.

The phrase "strongest survive" paints a picture of sociopath behavior but it doesn't mean that at all.

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 pm

That's not what I was saying at all. What you just described is evil, not sociopathy. It's the implications of 'survival of the fittest', those best adapted to their environment find mates etc, that has its own social implications in that those who are physically stronger have the last word, while that isn't as apparent in human society, it's displayed throughout other animals that live collectively. Science doesn't condone that, it merely states it and moves on. That's sociopathic imo.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

User avatar
Genevieve
Posts: 8775
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: 6_6

Re: Atheism

Post by Genevieve » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 pm

jesslem wrote:That's not what I was saying at all. What you just described is evil, not sociopathy. It's the implications of 'survival of the fittest', those best adapted to their environment find mates etc, that has its own social implications in that those who are physically stronger have the last word, while that isn't as apparent in human society, it's displayed throughout other animals that live collectively. Science doesn't condone that, it merely states it and moves on. That's sociopathic imo.
No, it has social implications like; we have developed language (which allowed us to interact more intimately), empathy, common bi/homosexuality (for non-breeding members of the tribe to help raise our offspring) and a way to control our emotions (so that we act less aggressively to each other). So evolution favored being "good" rather than "evil" in the evolution of our species.
Image

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Ay dickhead, did you not see that I said I wasn't speaking about humans there?
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

I never said evolution was good or evil, I literally just said that it 'is'.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

User avatar
Genevieve
Posts: 8775
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: 6_6

Re: Atheism

Post by Genevieve » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:20 pm

jesslem wrote:Ay dickhead, did you not see that I said I wasn't speaking about humans there?
No, because you were already posting such an idiotically stupid statement that I didn't bother wasting my time reading the whole thing.

But since you've asked:, sociopathy and evil, etc are human constructs that don't apply to the animal kingdom, so it would be pointless for "science" (a.. method of testing things) to make any claims about that.

If you need to hold a scientist's hand and have him tell you what's 'good' and what is 'evil', that's your fault. Not scientific community's.
Image

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

User avatar
Muncey
Posts: 6580
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Northants/Manchester

Re: Atheism

Post by Muncey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Fair enough, I misunderstood what you was getting at.. but still I don't think its sociopathic, its just explaining reality. "Physically stronger have the last say" isn't necessarily true and even if it is true theres good reason for it to be true, its like a primitive way of find out whos best for the job. Those best adapted to their environment find better mates is like saying people who are financially stable find a better partner.. if true is that sociopathic?

My original point is still sorta valid though.. if sciences explanation is sociopatic (anti social behavior) how can it be that science fully accepts that a fittest gene pool (survival of the fittest) could very well rely on social interactions, acting as a community ect ect?

All science really says is those alive now are alive because they were in a gene pool fit enough to exist. Pandas are going extict because they aren't fucking, thats sociopathic not 'survival of the fittest' :lol:

Also in relation to atheism I don't get how religion would do a better job.

rickyarbino
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Location: Eternity

Re: Atheism

Post by rickyarbino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Genevieve wrote:
jesslem wrote:Ay dickhead, did you not see that I said I wasn't speaking about humans there?
No, because you were already posting such an idiotically stupid statement that I didn't bother wasting my time reading the whole thing.

But since you've asked:, sociopathy and evil, etc are human constructs that don't apply to the animal kingdom, so it would be pointless for "science" (a.. method of testing things) to make any claims about that.

If you need to hold a scientist's hand and have him tell you what's 'good' and what is 'evil', that's your fault. Not scientific community's.
So now you're saying that evolution is pointless? I don't understand what you're saying.

Can't tell if you're just trolling or not lol, wasn't even me who started talking about good and evil lol, can't speak for them.
magma wrote:It's a good job none of this matters.

User avatar
rockonin
Posts: 3515
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Buttoned Up

Re: Atheism

Post by rockonin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Evolution is bullshit. Religion is even more bullshit.
Image
https://soundcloud.com/rockonin
ehbes wrote:I'll remember that when City wins the league :W:

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests