Vaporwave, PC Music and Return Of The Idiot

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
wub

Vaporwave, PC Music and Return Of The Idiot

Post by wub » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:39 am

It's nearly been a decade, and once again we've gone full circle. Nathan Barley was 2005, and now with the vaporwave tsunami upon us, it seems that art has imitated life imitating art once again. Right back where we started.

Adam Harper can't be held entirely responsible for this, but I think Dummy mag proudly holds it's sugaRAPE flag aloft in encouraging this sort of shit.

Not least for the follow up article from Harper on more of the same. It just doesn't sit right. The idea of aging it brings upon...that the emperor's new clothes are only visible to the younger generation, and those of us that remember when the Black Eyed Peas didn't make you want to vomit are behind the trend of what's considered cool.
QT only served to provide a focus point for that silent wave of digital laziness. A boil on an already dirty arse cheek that the collective music press gather round to rub ahead of it's inevitable lancing. In contrast with a lot of the current vaporwave output, QT is actually produced to a fairly high standard, and has a stronger structure to it than most, elevating it to something above corporate loading screen muzak.

I'm not against initiative, or inventive sampling of old material. Reinterpreting the past is what has brought us to the present. I get that. Take what you used to like, trim off the bits that don't appeal to you anymore and improve on the bits that do.

Harper is still spewing his underground baiting rhetoric;
Just like the classic punks, PC Music can be heard as dramatizing the decline of good taste at the hands of modernity, and in 2014 that means noble underground traditions like all that monochrome club/post-club music that rakes reverentially and melancholically through 30 years of analogue production all being displaced by digital decadence, rampant excess and fucking children. PC Music are trolling old ravers, the generation that built the hardcore continuum; they're trolling old punks and their insistence on realism. They're saying, "We might as well sound like this. In a world of gloss and accelerated desire, this is what society made us." And in this regard, they're punks.
As someone in the ever insightful RA comments has pointed out, by this definition anyone using a custom HTML template on their MySpace page was punk. The focus on composition rather than output...the idea that how the music was produced is more of a statement to what it represents than whether it's actually any good is just laughable to me.

I've never been one for gimmicks or personas (the irony I'm saying that on a forum isn't lost on me, don't worry). Making music that is deliberately shit and then railing on people who don't appreciate it for 'not understanding' is such a bait way of trying to raise your profile it's untrue. PC Music shouldn't especially know better, as they're just trying to do whatever it is that digital labels do in this day and age. The focus on internet numerology - fans, followers, listens.

Read the articles. Listen to the tunes. Download the Ben Aqua RA mix. Decide whether you're cool enough to enjoy it, with an cheeky wink to your peers with the cool retro sneakers that suggests even if you don't, you're willing to pretend.

I'll probably still be here.

OGLemon

Re: Vaporwave, PC Music and Return Of The Idiot

Post by OGLemon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm

wack

wolf89

Post by wolf89 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Does this mean I can bum a woman and email people about it again?
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:23 pm

i h8 all of it so much
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

lloydnoise

Post by lloydnoise » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:25 pm

QT is sick dont b a h8r
parson wrote:the way you cure disease with lsd is by manipulating the matrix with your mind

[\*/]

wolf89

Post by wolf89 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:29 pm

To be honest Sophie stood out at first. As it was super sugary pop with a really weird edge made by a dude posing as a female pop artist who knew what to do sound design and song writing wise.

The PC Music thing is just people being shit on purpose or quirky for no reason other than being quirky or shit on purpose. I don't know if it's all an ironic in joke type thing or if people really like it but it's totally lost on me.
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:33 pm

i didnt ever really like sophie but it was ok before shit pc vocals all over it

thats like an actual producers, most of these vaporwave/pc music fucks are terrible producers, or at least just make terrible tunes on purpose

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

3za

Post by 3za » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:12 pm

They need to make a hentai video in-sync with Sophie Hard, with young girls getting it hard, by a machine.
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:17 pm

http://ra4.residentadvisor.net/audio/RA ... or.net.mp3

Most interesting thing I've heard in a while. And my shoes are retro only because they're so old.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

Reese_Liar

Post by Reese_Liar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/pc-music ... martin-017

This was a pretty interesting view on the whole PC Music deal. I don't particularly like the music myself, but I guess he's sort of got a point.
Minimal Motor Skills Mix:
Soundcloud

Reese Liar @ Soundcloud

RKM

Post by RKM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 pm

i wanna see chronik and riko stabbing all these people in the head

edit; ffs that broken flowers song is actually catchy as fuck

but "they deliberately rile the RA heads by using pre-mix CDs – essentially, they fuck with people" :/ who can forget when milli vanilli fucked with all those pretentious twats by not singing their own songs....................
Last edited by RKM on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

3za

Post by 3za » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:09 pm

nowaysj wrote:http://ra4.residentadvisor.net/audio/RA ... or.net.mp3

Most interesting thing I've heard in a while. And my shoes are retro only because they're so old.
Hey Noways I feel like I wrote this song for you;

I waited for sooooooo long for a guy like you
This guy likes me too, and I think I like you maybe
I know that you're sooooooo unavailable
But you call me all the time, and you know I've got you on my mind

We look good in pink and blue
You love me, maybe it's true
You say, "Baby, how are you?"
I'm okay, how about you?

:oops:
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I quiet like certain macintosh plus bits I've heard

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to adopt the sort of casio-demo/late 90's racing game menu music type style and run with it.

I can appreciate the angle that's being spun on it here, it's kinda fascinating to think what is punk and counter punk and so on under what definitions.

It has nothing to do with why I like to music though.

I wasn't getting off on being counter-counter-cultural or whatever when I was listening to that macintosh plus tune on youtube and liking it.

Sophie is another deal, that stuff sounds gimmicky to me. But I'm not offended because I think it's trying to be too clever or whatever. It just sounds musically gimmicky
RKM wrote: when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao

kidshuffle

Post by kidshuffle » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:55 pm

I dont think i want anything to do with his pc music shit
Beats/Facebook/Twitter
Laszlo wrote:
nowaysj wrote:Look at when Jedi's die, and then they become kind of shimmery and holographic.
.... 2Pac was a Jedi?? :corntard:

Doctor_Dave

Post by Doctor_Dave » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:34 pm

wolf89 wrote:To be honest Sophie stood out at first. As it was super sugary pop with a really weird edge made by a dude posing as a female pop artist who knew what to do sound design and song writing wise.

The PC Music thing is just people being shit on purpose or quirky for no reason other than being quirky or shit on purpose. I don't know if it's all an ironic in joke type thing or if people really like it but it's totally lost on me.
tbh I liked the first Sophie release on Numbers a bit, it didnt really grow on me but Bipp was catchy.
dididub wrote:catch em ffs

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:56 pm

kidshuffle wrote:I dont think i want anything to do with his pc music shit
Join Me
Soundcloud

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 pm

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

xtcvsmistycold

Post by xtcvsmistycold » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:12 pm

wolf89 wrote:The PC Music thing is just people being shit on purpose or quirky for no reason other than being quirky or shit on purpose. I don't know if it's all an ironic in joke type thing or if people really like it but it's totally lost on me.
ur either an idiot or u genuinely think u have some sort of superior taste in music

ppl like it so what lol they think it's good and who is anyone to say otherwise, it's an opinion

shit on purpose lol

i actually think pc music is gash too but i wouldn't call it an in joke or "terrible tunes on purpose"

i like yung lean tho and ppl think that's a joke so i get how ridiculous ppl can be

tbh there are people who would listen to a coki track that's loved by most of you and say "what's happening to music, this is intentionally terrible, offensive sounds etc etc blah blah"

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Dudes, I really don't know anything about this, but is vaporwave really the same as pc music?

I always thought this was kind of vaporwavish?

I think I'm working on vaporwave right now, lol, whatever that is. :dunce:
Join Me
Soundcloud