Researcher Trains Rats To Trade, Win on Wall Street

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
_ronzlo_

Researcher Trains Rats To Trade, Win on Wall Street

Post by _ronzlo_ » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:15 pm

http://www.vice.com/read/rattraders-0000519-v21n12

-q-

Makes sense.

ps: apologies in advance to MKS for posting from Vice. I really do read other things. :lol:
nowaysj wrote: ...But the chick's panties that you drop with a keytar, marry that B.

nowaysj

Re: Researcher Trains Rats To Trade, Win on Wall Street

Post by nowaysj » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:44 am

:lol:
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

mks

Post by mks » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:24 am

I just have bad memories from when that mag first came out. They were such Brooklyn hipster douchebags.

_ronzlo_

Post by _ronzlo_ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:12 am

mks wrote:I just have bad memories from when that mag first came out. They were such Brooklyn hipster douchebags.
To be fair, there's still a strong streak o' dat in 'em too.

There's one writer they have - some gal whose entire output is "I'm an alcoholic/failed bisexual/suicidal depressive/ugly compulsive nympho/hate my parents/hate myself" that I just wish would go the fuck away... There's definitely editorial bias in many of the pieces, with a lean toward sensationalism for sure - and their music reviews and stuff skew toward the ignorantly awful (their recent "Jamaica II" pseudo-doc hosted by Major Lazer was the worst thing I've seen in a while).

However, given my taste for the piquant they manage to deliver some pretty interesting nuggets among the turds, and as far as aggregators go they're definitely better than, say, most of the Gawker media dreck. I read a lot of science and fringe culture ags, and Vice manages to fill the mainstream culture niche fairly well (for me) for now. And I'm always open to new suggestions.

:Q:

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:05 am

They're just so annoyingly pleased with themselves though

Fair play they feature content I'm interested in. I wanna see bronson ride around NY with a weird cab driver eating food and chatting shit with big body bes. I wanna see a documentary on drill music/gang violence. So that's cool but at the same time, fuck em.

That one documentary about the smackheads in swansea was genuinely heartwrenching though, and they kept the clever haircut journos/clever haircut attitude out of that entirely.
RKM wrote: when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao

Dystinkt

Post by Dystinkt » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Harkat wrote:They're just so annoyingly pleased with themselves though

Fair play they feature content I'm interested in. I wanna see bronson ride around NY with a weird cab driver eating food and chatting shit with big body bes. I wanna see a documentary on drill music/gang violence. So that's cool but at the same time, fuck em.

That one documentary about the smackheads in swansea was genuinely heartwrenching though, and they kept the clever haircut journos/clever haircut attitude out of that entirely.
I find as a reasonably general rule with vice, their documentaries tend to be much less smug than their articles, probably because being as smug as they are in words would probably get them punched fairly frequently out in the real world.

this however is one exception, but is still the my favourite vice doc of all time-

Alert1

Post by Alert1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Dystinkt wrote: I find as a reasonably general rule with vice, their documentaries tend to be much less smug than their articles, probably because being as smug as they are in words would probably get them punched fairly frequently out in the real world.
truth

:W:

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:43 pm

that donk doc is good DESPITE the smug tnuc hosting it tho

I bet you could write another Vice article pointing out the classism in that doc like "city boy air max boy used to future garage comes and shits on rural working class rave music"

Donk against thatcher
RKM wrote: when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao

Dystinkt

Post by Dystinkt » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Harkat wrote:that donk doc is good DESPITE the smug tnuc hosting it tho

I bet you could write another Vice article pointing out the classism in that doc like "city boy air max boy used to future garage comes and shits on rural working class rave music"

Donk against thatcher
Very true, but I massively enjoyed watching the presenter shit himself when he goes to wigan pier, which incidentally has shut down since I believe

edit- As a member of the working classes from the North, even i think blackout crew are silly

Harkat

Post by Harkat » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm

yeah maybe...I have some time for that kinda music tho lol. Where my mums from out in the country they're always listening to cheesy euro hardstyle stuff, it bangs sometimes

_ronzlo_

Post by _ronzlo_ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Another example of good food for thought from 'em: while I know there's a line of thought that has America directly and explicitly involved in their creation, this should be broadcast all over America so we get a little glimpse of the big picture we've created for ourselves...

nowaysj wrote: ...But the chick's panties that you drop with a keytar, marry that B.

test_recordings

Post by test_recordings » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Chimpanzees would actually be ace traders, risk averse so they don't fuck everything up in one go
Getzatrhythm

Dystinkt

Post by Dystinkt » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:05 am

Harkat wrote:yeah maybe...I have some time for that kinda music tho lol. Where my mums from out in the country they're always listening to cheesy euro hardstyle stuff, it bangs sometimes
as do I, this for example, as per usual the russians dont fuck about :P: :P: :P:

ultraspatial

Post by ultraspatial » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:11 am

^that's actually p sick

sixs

Post by sixs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:47 am

mks wrote:I just have bad memories from when that mag first came out. They were such Brooklyn hipster douchebags.
vice was canadian
taters on that as we jack it

mks

Post by mks » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:49 pm

sixs wrote:
vice was canadian
It was based in New York though.

sixs

Post by sixs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:33 am

6 years after it's inception, yes
taters on that as we jack it

Dystinkt

Post by Dystinkt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:42 pm

ultraspatial wrote:^that's actually p sick

i can go all day