How Does What Else You Listen To Relate To Dubstep?

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
corpsey

How Does What Else You Listen To Relate To Dubstep?

Post by corpsey » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:21 pm

i.e. is there something in dubstep which attracted you to it based upon what you were already listening to? do you notice any aspects of that other music feeding into dubstep currently? are there aspects of other genres that you listen to that you think are missing from dubstep, and would dubstep in your view benefit from including those aspects?

etc etc.. get typing

d-T-r

Post by d-T-r » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:10 pm

production wise, i came from dnb and weird down tempo stuff. i can see some of the production similarities with dnb. always liked abit of dub so dubstep made sense. i'd like to see some more 'trip-hop' type dubstep..

i know theres some out there but i'd like to hear more. stuff thats not typically intended for the club.

paradigmx's 'we both are lost' is a good example of what i'd like to hear more of.

one of the best tracks ive heard from this forum and pretty much all year.
Soundcloud

Tumblrrr Etsyyy
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ _ __ ___ _ __ ___ _ __

auan

Post by auan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 am

Yeah I also came from dnb, but I always liked the more experimental, 'out-there' stuff better. "Intelligent dance music" without being IDM. The moodier, more ambient, more cerebral stuff. The stuff that sounds like the middle of the night, after all the clubs have closed, in a city that hasn't been built yet.

Same description applies to the trip-hop I like, Massive Attack, Portishead, DJ Spooky, and also to the dubstep I like...

And for a while at least, I didn't see any kind of formula to dubstep, it was just 140bpm, lots of bass, go for it, do what you want. The more I listen to dubstep though (flame war starting here...) the more I hear formulas, and again I'm drawn to the more experimental, cerebral side. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

shonky

Post by shonky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 am

Listening to mostly old jungle and garage - remind me of what's missing from dubstep - some serious beats :wink:

Seems really odd to me that there was way more rhythmic diversity in old jungle than there is in modern dnb, even though the tools are there to do it so much better nowadays. The two genres I mentioned are also (imo) way better party music than most dubstep.
Hmm....

quidz

Post by quidz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:11 pm

i have always listened to music looking for sick bass basically...
In hiphop i like really heavy beats..big snares and claps jdilla etc.. and madlib really knows how to throw in some gritty bass occasionally.
I have always loved grime but before i discovered dubstep grime never just quite made it to where i wanted it..always touched on sick basslines but didnt take it much further.
DNB of course the sound effects and shit are great...
Im into freaky sounds too like aphex twin or whatever...
Dub vibes are great but didnt really explore it much outside of my local scenes talent (although its some fairly good shit i think)

Dubstep just really chucks a whole bunch of these things together for me.Into one genre.

chunkie

Post by chunkie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:54 pm

with Auan on this...
the creative&expressive DnB stuff took me to dubstep because it was an open ended 'new' genre

otherwise, i listen to all sorts and go through 'moods' (lasting months) with music.
really into the interplay of synths as instruments and sound manipulation (AphexTwin, Amon Tobin, also Distance and some Kode9) - ie not just leads stabbing themselves into cohesiveness or someone having happy days with an arpeggiator!

mezi

Post by mezi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:00 am

I came from listening to alot of dark progressive psytrance, electronic dub like; "Bill Laswell's Dub Meltdown" Early techstep and 90s jungle as well as FSoL's "dead cities" all made a huge impression on me.

most all dnb released within the last 5 years just baffles me. It sounds more like hard rock now. "new" and innovative dont necessarily go hand in hand.

middle eastern vibes are what I want to hear more of in dubstep.
Ekaros, whose music gives me the chills, is the perfect example. Also
Blackdown's - "Lata"

slim

Post by slim » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:12 pm

I listen to a lot of dub and reggae which is what got me into dubstep in the first place, have always appreciated bass, so it was a natural step, big fan of The Cure, Joy Division, Siouxsie Sioux etc, and i think i got my love of moody, melancholy textures from them, even if the lack of bass is a bit of a shame.

I also love spanish music, and flamenco in particular relates to dubstep quite well, in that both reinterpret and cobble together aspects of their heritage, and have a serious sense of power and rhythm. Although luckily there is no dubstep equivalent of the Gypsy Kings yet, that will be a scary time.

Dubstep has got me exploring other genres like 2step and jungle as well, so i think when i hear them it is always somehow in context with dubstep.

sek [espionage]

Post by sek [espionage] » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:13 pm

slo jams :P

keri b

Yes... 2step (duh!)

Post by keri b » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:12 pm

I got into "dubstep" back in 2001 when I was diggin around the internet for 2step. I wondered by some stuff had NO vocals, and felt kinda breaky. I recall a DJ Loki mix, some early Kode 9 stuff like "Make a friend of Horror" and "Dejected" and stuff from GNotorious and Ruggend and the Prez. It was difficult to get British Stuff other than a comp or two at Tower Records. Later I was excited by Grime, and then BAM: there's this word "dubstep" out there. I heard it roped together the early Horsepower Production stuff along with my fav new producers like Geeneus, the Dumpvalve camp, and Mark One. And although I adore the many different directions that the sound is going, I miss the 2step beats. I've heard some Benga that brought a smile to my face because it sounded like 2step, but mostly I don't hear the 2step roots of dubstep. I like the dark bas, but I want to feel crazy snares are actually smiling at me. Plump Djs breaks were both funky, dark, and summer time sunshine-like. I recall listening to them back in 2001 also. Recently my only fix has been listening to old vinyl, older comps, El-B stuff, and the new and fabulous Burial album. I know he worships El-B, so it makes sense. Right now I am listening to Dizzee Rascal's "Flex" because many of the MC grime tunes still have stepping beats. I hope 2step continues to influence dubstep in the future.

two oh one

Post by two oh one » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Slim wrote:I listen to a lot of dub and reggae which is what got me into dubstep in the first place, have always appreciated bass, so it was a natural step, big fan of The Cure, Joy Division, Siouxsie Sioux etc, and i think i got my love of moody, melancholy textures from them, even if the lack of bass is a bit of a shame.
It's like I wrote that. Almost.

:)

I love dark music - Goth, Industrial, Punk, Post Punk and also grew up with Dub and Ska. Dubstep feels like a lot of these vibes have come together.
Ahier wrote: I like to push lego up cat bums

slim

Post by slim » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

two oh one wrote:

Ha, probs why i like what i have heard of your stuff then.

But it does piss me off that there is so little low end in a lot of "goth" or post punk, not saying i want Robert Smith wailing over poison dart or anything (or do i? :lol:) but a little less clank would be nice

two oh one

Post by two oh one » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:17 pm

Slim wrote:
two oh one wrote:

Ha, probs why i like what i have heard of your stuff then.

But it does piss me off that there is so little low end in a lot of "goth" or post punk, not saying i want Robert Smith wailing over poison dart or anything (or do i? :lol:) but a little less clank would be nice
Cheers, fella. :)

I kinda like the lack of bass end. It gives it a sharp sound. Aggressive, distant and cold without really trying. I wonder if a more firm bass end would give things a more rounded sound? Worth experimenting with, I say.

Siouxsie and Bauhaus sure knew how to use reverb. So much space in their tracks.

slim

Post by slim » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 pm

Like Joy Division basslines were always meant to be high pitched and lead-y anyway, would be quite cool to use that with subs in some electronic music, but keep the dark, icy style. I'm trying to get producing and i play bass so i might try doing that at some point. My Demons by Distance sounds like he is using a fairly highpassed bass guitar to do the lead part

Yeah i love the space in bauhaus tracks, but Pete Murphy's voice grates on me, sounds far too fake-transylvanian on In The Flat Field and obviously Bela Lugosi's Dead.

Have an urge to go listen to some of this stuff now actually.

shonky

Post by shonky » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:11 am

Slim wrote:Like Joy Division basslines were always meant to be high pitched and lead-y anyway, would be quite cool to use that with subs in some electronic music, but keep the dark, icy style.
New Order?
Hmm....

slim

Post by slim » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Shonky wrote:
Slim wrote:Like Joy Division basslines were always meant to be high pitched and lead-y anyway, would be quite cool to use that with subs in some electronic music, but keep the dark, icy style.
New Order?
Bizzare Love Triangle isn't exactly the darkest of tunes is it? Was trying to stay away from mentioning new order, cos while i kind oflike them, the idea of a dubstep version of them is a bit scary.

shonky

Post by shonky » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Slim wrote:
Shonky wrote:
New Order?
Bizzare Love Triangle isn't exactly the darkest of tunes is it? Was trying to stay away from mentioning new order, cos while i kind oflike them, the idea of a dubstep version of them is a bit scary.
Was thinking more Blue Monday and True Faith to be honest. Think Geiom slipped the drum riff from Blue Monday into the mix he did for Conspira's show way back
Hmm....

Re: How Does What Else You Listen To Relate To Dubstep?

Post by __________ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Corpsey wrote:i.e. is there something in dubstep which attracted you to it based upon what you were already listening to? do you notice any aspects of that other music feeding into dubstep currently? are there aspects of other genres that you listen to that you think are missing from dubstep, and would dubstep in your view benefit from including those aspects?

etc etc.. get typing
i listen to lots of dub, hip hop, reggae, jazz, blues, whatever really, bit of dnb too. i was attracted to dubstep because it is unpredictable. the main thing that attracted me was the pure bass intensity, i like drum and bass but in the past few years its been fucked over big time...90% of tracks have the kick and snare on the same beats? fuck off!

i like the way dubstep has taken elements from so many genres...pure bass from dub/reggae/dnb taken to the next level, garage style syncopation on drums, reggae grooves, and plenty of techno/house influences (im not a fan of house/techno but i can really appreciate the influence its had on dubstep)

one of the things that makes me appreciate dubstep is that it hasn't got to the stage when you know exactly what to expect from it. if a new reggae tune is released and you guessed it would have offbeat guitar chops and a man singing about jah, there's a fair chance you'd be right. if you guessed this new jump up dnb tune would be at ~170bpm and have snares on the 2 and 4 beat, you'd almost fuckin definately be right. same with house/techno/trance, most of the time all you're getting is kicks on every beat. it seems alot of dubstep producers have taken note of this standardised way of making 'template-music' and given it the middle finger, creating a genre that seems to have no formula, that nobody can really define but can appreciate and recognise. i think somebody could even make a dubstep tune without a bassline...

so yes, i also find it interesting how music i DON'T listen to relates to dubstep, namely techno/house/hardcore and 2-step/garage/grime. dubstep draws from so many genres i can spot influences and appreciate them in a different context.

i just wrote alot of bullshit

:D

two oh one

Post by two oh one » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:48 pm

New Order were way lighter than Joy Division. Even the moody NO stuff was pretty fluffy.

Hmmm. I'm wanting to experiment with my vocalist and do some Post-punk sounding artful dubby stuff. I think it can be done.

shonky

Post by shonky » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:24 am

two oh one wrote: Hmmm. I'm wanting to experiment with my vocalist and do some Post-punk sounding artful dubby stuff. I think it can be done.
John Lydon knows :wink:
Hmm....