Wing Chun

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
alfie

Post by alfie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm

was about to start a thread on this, good timing man!

i'm going to start wing chun in the new year, doing muay thai at the minute but not getting much out of it. like the idea of the close combat of wing chun and the fact there are less high kicks etc, like you get in muay thai.

plus my instructor at the moment always begins the description of each move with 'this is good if you get into a fight on a night out' which ain't really why i started doing it in the first place tbh.

basically i want to be like ghost dog from 'way of the samurai'

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 pm

haha
m.t is alot about fitness imo.
I can keep myself fit but want a bit more from it.

whineo

Post by whineo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:23 pm

anyone can get suckerpunched

yooamatwa

Post by yooamatwa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Whineo wrote:anyone can get suckerpunched
I remember reading a local story last year about some Karate second dan black belt getting jumped. He got knocked the fuck out....

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:31 pm

yooamatwa wrote:
pdomino wrote:The whole 'this martial art is better than ..." arguement zzzzzzz :lol:
This...it's down to the person not the style. Unless its Muay Thai thats just shit and for girly men...
j/k j/k :)
HAHA Didnt see this ! :)

reference

Post by reference » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:29 pm

dance all day long, dance hall days.
http://www.myspace.com/referencebeats

i make a new tune once every blue moon.

dust shop

Post by dust shop » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:53 pm

i did one year & half training, it's pretty cool, very physical (depending on where you train i guess).
the debate on what art is the best is pretty lame, even if you practising mma + kickboxing etc... it will still be hard facing someone whos a lot heavier/stronger than you + most of the time when you have to face people who want to smash u they're not alone :lol:

dr ddd

Post by dr ddd » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:03 pm

did hairmau/minangkabau pencak silat for a couple years under guru richard de bordes- really basic moves you can pretty much adapt and bring any other martial art in to... fecking badass!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaBelLtGUM

the basic premise is that your opponents are always armed and you aren't, and that if you stay in any sort of fight or contact for more than 5 seconds you're dead. serious stuff - every move is bone breaking and none of it has been watered down at all. Fucking kills your legs though as you constantly train in a low crouch! It was originally a female martial art - but now all these huge guys are doing it.

also did muay thai for a couple yrs and been kickboxing about 8 years now.. would love to have a go at brazilian jui jitsu to get a bit more rounded if i could find a decent dojo
mushy pEzee