Def Jux appreciation!

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
crowleyhead

Post by crowleyhead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Constrobuz wrote:
CrowleyHead wrote:Do you think Vast Aire will ever develop the ability to do a verse without a minimum of 50 punch ins? He's got less rhythm than Ice-T.

As you can see, I think Vordul is underrated.
both of them are ass
He's not great, don't get me wrong. But I think that it's unfair that a dude with occasional bars and a cohesive flow gets neglected for a total non-talent.

Plus I'm biased, I managed to meet the dude while I was in the presence of several Wu-Tang affiliates. The lack of ego he provided me with was like a fucking air pocket..

somejerk

Post by somejerk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:05 pm

cage ftw

somejerk

Post by somejerk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:06 pm

CrowleyHead wrote: I managed to meet the dude while I was in the presence of several Wu-Tang affiliates. The lack of ego he provided me with was like a fucking air pocket..

:lol: :lol:

i could see what you mean.

crowleyhead

Post by crowleyhead » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Dude, I live at the home of a label that puts out a shitload of Wu-Tang affiliates albums. I am at the point where Cappadonna can arrive at my house, and I don't care anymore.

At least somehow, Kool Keith ended up showing up and I was able to be a total fanboy...

ST100

Post by ST100 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:11 pm

somejerk wrote:cage ftw
thisssss

constrobuz
Permanent Vacation

Post by constrobuz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 am

too bad cage is an emo cigarette who doesnt even rap anymore

aporia1

Post by aporia1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:43 pm

yes yes yes i love these people!

aporia1

Post by aporia1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Constrobuz wrote:too bad cage is an emo cigarette who doesnt even rap anymore
booo cage is ill

hirshi

Post by hirshi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Aporia1 wrote:
Constrobuz wrote:too bad cage is an emo cigarette who doesnt even rap anymore
booo cage is ill
word. i am totally down cage and all of def jux

skeletor

Post by skeletor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:32 am

Say what you what about Can Ox nowadays..that album is absolutely fucking amazing.

Massive Def Jux supporter here..love Aes, El-P and so stoked they picked up Dizzee as well. My favourite hip hop label out there.

man and machine

Post by man and machine » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 am

CrowleyHead wrote:Do you think Vast Aire will ever develop the ability to do a verse without a minimum of 50 punch ins? He's got less rhythm than Ice-T.

As you can see, I think Vordul is underrated.
aaah yeah, totally underrated. although you wouln't say so based on their solo efforts, both kinda wack imo...

there was something special about cold vein, like vast, vordul and el-p came together like voltron or someshit

man and machine

Post by man and machine » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 am

what happened to can ox
Within that one month--May of 2001--Vast and Vordul would see their world expand and implode. As two-thirds of a team that created an unassailable masterwork in what many considered a moribund genre, their love for their craft was requited, and their determination to not merely exist as fans but as artists, to take their turn in the glare alongside the very men who'd inspired them, was rewarded. The sky could hardly be seen as a limit to intergalactic sojourners.

But as the Internet giveth, so it taketh away.

What happened was beyond a negative review filling up inboxes; it was the assumed sanctuary of words on a screen igniting a vicious attack. HHI poster "Will High" reacted against all the Can O slobbering by degrading not only the music, but the artists themselves, particularly Vast Aire and his extreme girth. Deciding that he could not sit idly by and let his boys be ragged on by some interweb smartass, El-P shot back at Will, challenging his real-life fortitude. In retrospect, only releasing an album by Party Fun Action Committee was a worse misstep. Several back and forth posts culminated in Will threatening to show up at a Can Ox show in New York and demonstrate to the Def Jux crew exactly how different he was from the stereotypical image of the "net nerd", that undersized and undersexed arbiter of cool, that basement-dweller more likely to bang their fingers against keys than faces.

When Will High did in fact materialize at the gig, words were exchanged between himself and El-P. Will High claims that Vordul also took pot shots. An indignant Will High would later corner Vordul in the mens bathroom and deliver a sucker punch that broke the rappers jaw. He hightailed it out as security guards prevented the fallen man's friends from exacting revenge.

Cannibal Ox were never the same afterwards. A few singles were released sporadically, and the groups live shows were notoriously underwhelming if not downright fucking awful, proof posilute that not everything in life is enhanced by smoking mad weed beforehand. A promised Def Jux reunion album was basically shit-canned by El-P last year, with the duo's lack of focus given as the main cause. Vast Aire would later blog on his Myspace page (a post since removed) to allege financial chicanery and Vordul's severe depression (stemming from the Will High incident?) as contributing factors to the lack of a new record.

from the comments:
Sorry to tell you, the Will High incident did not occur as you stated. Will High did NOT sucker punch the fat guy. He knocked him out in front of his friends while they watched and did nothing, even as he challenged all of them. He then walked out of the venue. I know Will. Will is a 6'8 weight lifting pychopath. He has been in and out of mental hospitals for knocking the crap out of people in broad daylight since he was 7. Ive seen him do it. Repeatedly. He happens to be an honorable sort, and would never sucker punch anyone because quite frankly, he get no satisfaction in it. So Can Ox's story of a sucker punch and Will fleeing is pure BS to cover the fact they let some dude drop their big guy and they did nada before during and after the beating. Get your story straight.
http://www.trapperjennmd.org/2008/04/yo ... t-808.html

crowleyhead

Post by crowleyhead » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm

skeletor wrote:Say what you what about Can Ox nowadays..that album is absolutely fucking amazing.

Massive Def Jux supporter here..love Aes, El-P and so stoked they picked up Dizzee as well. My favourite hip hop label out there.
Who'd be happy to pick up Dizzee? I mean, you can get that 'indie hip-hop star for no real reason' money, but come on.

And signing D'el the funky homosexual is a real blast. "I studied music theory for mad long." I like how it didn't teach him to make a good beat.

Honestly, if that whole emotional bit posted is true though, I just maintain, I like how Vast Aire comes out of nowhere and tells people this that and the other... When I don't remember this dude. I never EVER heard this guy until Can Ox. And my father was an obsessive Stretch & Bobbito listener, taping shows. I heard Co-Flow, Vordul, Aesop and Cage as a kid. But I've no understanding of who this guy really is. For all I know, Cannibal Ox is his rapping debut. And it'd fucking show.

teeth321

Post by teeth321 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Cold vein is an absolute classic. Live album was a bit weak though...

human?

Post by human? » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:53 pm

CrowleyHead wrote:
skeletor wrote:Say what you what about Can Ox nowadays..that album is absolutely fucking amazing.

Who'd be happy to pick up Dizzee? I mean, you can get that 'indie hip-hop star for no real reason' money, but come on.

And signing D'el the funky homosexual is a real blast. "I studied music theory for mad long." I like how it didn't teach him to make a good beat.

Honestly, if that whole emotional bit posted is true though, I just maintain, I like how Vast Aire comes out of nowhere and tells people this that and the other... When I don't remember this dude. I never EVER heard this guy until Can Ox. And my father was an obsessive Stretch & Bobbito listener, taping shows. I heard Co-Flow, Vordul, Aesop and Cage as a kid. But I've no understanding of who this guy really is. For all I know, Cannibal Ox is his rapping debut. And it'd fucking show.
atoms family.

and so is hanger 18.

you should do a bit more research.

cold vein is classic. del is an amazing writer. all the def jukies are cool people...

ST100

Post by ST100 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:08 pm

human? wrote:cold vein is classic. del is an amazing writer. all the def jukies are cool people...
this. :D

sinner

Post by sinner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:33 am

don't make me bite ya face!
P.U.H.D. Life!