Nas Appreciation Thread

Off Topic (Everything besides dubstep)
Forum rules
Please read and follow this sub-forum's specific rules listed HERE, as well as our sitewide rules listed HERE.

Link to the Secret Ninja Sessions community ustream channel - info in this thread
jera

Post by jera » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:16 am

listening to illmatic right now...classic!

smdroccity

Post by smdroccity » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Chester Perry wrote:He should have retired after Illmatic. The perfect album. Apart from his verse on Verbal Intercourse he has never touched the heights of Illmatic, though to be fair the shite beats havent helped
Through the lights, cameras, and action; glamour, glitter, and gold/
I unfold the scrolls, plant seeds to stampede the globe/
when I'm deceased
By then the beast'll rise like yeast (leaving savages to conquer on the streets)/
live on the run
Police paying me to give em my gun, trick my wisdom wit the system, that imprisoned my son
smoke a gold leaf I hold heat nonchalantly it's raunchy but things i do is real it never haunt me/ while
funny style ni**as....blah blah blah on a bus to Riker's Isle
from the womb to the tomb
wit they eyes on the pretty things in life
PROPS IS A TRUE THUG'S WIFE

Man, the opening bars in this verse have to be my favorite of all time; highlight to one of my favorite albums ever; I couldn't think of the rest of the verse right now because I'm at my office a little brain dead; if anyone wants to finish it off please do; but that opening is my SHIT!

smdroccity

Post by smdroccity » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:14 pm

I had a chance (Camp Bisco 8 ) to perform at the same festival as Nas this past weekend, not to brag or anything, but that was probably one of the most surreal experiences of my life the guy is a legend

Snaps

Post by Snaps » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 am

86 Position wrote:Biggie was good...but not what everybody wants to make him out to be.
Ure crazy, biggie was ridiculous, Ready To Die is one of the greatest hip hop albums made, waaay before its time lyrically

cr1tt3r
Location: peeping through the keyhole of your mom's bedroom door

Post by cr1tt3r » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:10 am

Always thought Nas was way overrated... although that said, Memory Lane off illmatic is one of my all time HH tracks

cr1tt3r
Location: peeping through the keyhole of your mom's bedroom door

Post by cr1tt3r » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:15 am

Matt3r wrote: 39.43? that's a fucking ep
Forget that, keep the LP short and free from shit and retarded skits, 40 mins is a perfect LP length for hip-hop so long as ALL your gear isn't shit

OK, I'll give Nas Illmatic, it's good, but the rest is better put to rest

DustyBunzzz

Post by DustyBunzzz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:05 pm

old shit was insane. not so much now

bellybelle

Post by bellybelle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:38 pm

kinda wish he was a better man for all that he's a good artist. *sighs* *poors some out for Kelis*
Magnetron, Sputtering wrote:I don't really make dubstep. I'm just here for the alpacas.
My art: http://lacifaeria.deviantart.com
My tunes: http://www.soundcloud.com/bellybelle
My space: http://www.myspace.com/beelzebeats
My twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lacifaeria

Lystric

Re: Nas Appreciation Thread

Post by Lystric » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 am

'any rebuttal to what I utter get boxcuttered'

one of my favourite lines off his last LP. Illmatic is a classic obviously, perfect rap album. I think if Stillmatic (17 tracks) and It Was Written (15 tracks) were shorter they would be just as good...couple of tracks don't really need to be on either imo.

Soul_Of_Seun

Re: Nas Appreciation Thread

Post by Soul_Of_Seun » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 am

He was my favorite rapper when I was a teenager. I used to listen to NY State of Mind and NY State of Mind pt 2 everyday before school and after high school. Nas is one of the few emcees from that era along with guys like O.C. and Pharoahe Monch, that started in the Golden Age of the early 90's who are still putting out good music.

I think his most underrated tracks are Star Wars, Silent Murder and this song with Prodigy:

Soundcloud

Mystical