bouncing to audio on cubase

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
fubar

bouncing to audio on cubase

Post by fubar » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:40 am

this is probably really obvious but how do I bounce my midi down to audio on cubase?

misk

Post by misk » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:00 am

solo the track you want to bounce, the use the loop markers to set what part of the track you want to bounce and for how long. Then go to file > export audio mixdown. Name your file and decide where to put it, and in the options menu in the export box it should ask if you want to export to pool and export to audio track. click export to audio track and the pool box will be checked also (as you gotta have it in the pool to have it in a track!)

then you'll have a new track with the audio mixdown of the midi track.

with a slow computer such as mine, this is PIVOTAL to get tracks done :)

oh i have my import audio assigned to Shift-a, and export audio assigned to Shift-e

those shortcuts arent in use by default and they kick ASS

fubar

Post by fubar » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:28 pm

sound sorted it now, cheers!

slinky

midi to audio bounce

Post by slinky » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi misk

I am having the same problem. I tried what you said with soloing and exporting - but I don`t get a new audio track with the sounds from the midi track.

slinky

Post by slinky » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi again - well now I`ve got the mixdown track in the arrange window - but there is no audio in it. - just one long thin line - Oh No! Oh for an old coconut shell with a bit of gut stretched over it!

parson

Post by parson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:55 pm

there's a box that you check when you are exporting that lets you choose to put the audio right back into the mix

misk

Post by misk » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:33 pm

thanks parson, big up for that. Sorry i didnt get back to you sooner slinky. do what he says... its true :6:

slinky

Post by slinky » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Ok I tried soloing all the midi tracks. Then I went to File - export - export audio mixdown and checked the boxes import to pool and audio track. It does create a mixdown lane But the lane is empty. Hmmm.

parson

Post by parson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:47 pm

have you tried going back into windows and finding the audio and dragging it into the audio track or is the file turning up blank too

slinky

Post by slinky » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:19 pm

I have looked in the audio pool and the track is there too but is also empty. It`s wierd because there is a definite process after I hit the save button in the audio mixdown window but it happens pretty quick - compared to my old win 98 - cubase vst5 setup I now have xp and sx.

parson

Post by parson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:21 pm

sorry i haven't used cubase in years :|

slinky

Post by slinky » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:56 am

Hi there,
I`ve managed to do it now...YeeHaa

I had to go into devices setup and change the audio inputs. I have ports called loop back and choosing these enabled the audio process.

Thanks for all your help!

dj $hy

Post by dj $hy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:02 pm

Bro,

Dont do an audio export as I always thought that was for the final mix.

Solo your midi

Then create an Audio track under it.

Set your markers

Set your inputs to be your midi device

then in teh cubase mixer under teh input meter you should see your signal as you play your midi.

The get the level as loud as possible b4 redlining.

EQ it (if you have an external desk)

Then hit record and you'll see your midi playing and in teh audio channel you'll see the audio going in live o.

Thats what I do with my Virus TI and what my mates do at their studio.

Do that all the way until you have a finished track with all ya tracks solo'd into one final audio channel, record all them tracks into one and THEN use the audio export.

I couldnt tell ya why I do it that way but I've been taught that way and imo using the audio export is a fuction for exporting your finished product from Cubase.

PM me if you need help bro

Peace
http://soundcloud.com/afterdark-dubstep
New Deep one! Unsigned ATM
Soundcloud

A deep one... Dropping on Family Tree Records END OF THIS MONTH!!!!!!!
Soundcloud

slinky

Post by slinky » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi dj $hy
yep, I ended up doing just about what you said there. You just need to create an audio track and make sure the ports are set up properly then hit record and there you have it. One thing`s for sure - you have a good day once you get this stuff sorted.

Cheers

dj $hy

Post by dj $hy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:38 am

Just make sure you get the loudest signal when you record mate.

And everytime you bounce something in audio it give it a richer feel. Alot of DnB producers tend to just bounce 16 Bars and then layer,add FX's and keep bouncing. the idea is to bounce all the way until you have an FX'd and EQ track so you just need to sort out volume and do your audio export.

Are you using SX3? Cos you need to use the extented mixer cos thats got a nice big meter!

Love to hear what you've come up with bro, pm me when your done ;-)

bigit
Soundcloud

Soundcloud

misk

Post by misk » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:45 pm

dude, shy, that is a REALLY good idea. Im gonna try that method from now on... it seems so much simpler. maybe by doing so, it creates less copies of shit on your hard drive that you'd only have to clean up later...

Thanks for the tip man, big big ups.

dj $hy

Post by dj $hy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Audio will still gather in your audio folder tho...

Everytime you start a new track in Cubase it asks where you wanna put the audio folder, always create a new folder.

This way when you start to run outta space you know which folders you can get rid of and archive. I've always done this just for that reason.

Now thats a tip cos when you get a year or so down the line and you have to work out which files go with which tunes your gonna have a nightmare
Soundcloud

Soundcloud

RFID

Post by RFID » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:21 pm

my advice on this topic is to not export your midi tracks unless you absolutely have to. Especially in regards to bass, the sound coming off your vst's is much better bigger and resolut than a 16 bit or 24 bit wav. Also, everytime you export you create a generation loss which can result in a disappointing result.

just my opinion! try it on for size
do u leik 2 party?

d-program

cant get my ports set right to record from my midi chanel

Post by d-program » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 pm

slinky wrote:Hi dj $hy
yep, I ended up doing just about what you said there. You just need to create an audio track and make sure the ports are set up properly then hit record and there you have it. One thing`s for sure - you have a good day once you get this stuff sorted.

Cheers
I think I'm having trouble setting up the ports. It looks like its recording to the audio track below but no audio shows up on the event. Im not anding how my in/out chanels on my midi and or audio tracks should be set.
my midi is set for "all midi inputs" IN and my soft synth on the OUT
my sterio audio chanel is set for "IN 1 L OUT BUS 1

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

ned

Post by ned » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:44 pm

slinky wrote:
Hi dj $hy

Cheers

I think I'm having trouble setting up the ports. It looks like its recording to the audio track below but no audio shows up on the event. Im not anding how my in/out chanels on my midi and or audio tracks should be set.
my midi is set for "all midi inputs" IN and my soft synth on the OUT
my sterio audio chanel is set for "IN 1 L OUT BUS 1

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Same is happening to me can anyone explain>>