DSF label

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
nitz

Re: DSF label

Post by nitz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:57 am

pressing issues wrote:Hey - Pressing Issues here (misskatiemo posting on the account today).

We do, in fact, exist! Check out this blog post if you want to see how it all came about - but it literally started with an almost identical post 3 years ago. http://pressing-issues.com/?p=125 - and here's the forum post that started it all - http://www.dubstepforum.com/dubstep-for ... t3539.html

For the poster that mentioned Reso - keep in mind that we released his stuff before he was all over everywhere - our releases were in 2006/7.

The label has always been, and will always be, about supporting emerging artists - whether they've had a few small releases or none at all. Not saying that we won't release things from a well-known artist, but after we put the poll up what gets released is for the community to decide - and it's anonymous (a great tune is a great tune, no matter who makes it).

We took a brief hiatus to re-group, and now we're back working on ISSUE003. Look for news about that release next week (bit of gratuitous "pimp my shit") on DSF, and vote (!!).

We've always loved seeing how much talent is represented on DSF, and how much the members realize and want to further this talent.

There are over 35,000 members on the forum today, compared to the 5,000 when we formed back in 2006 and we're not surprised to see this idea crop up again at all!

Best of luck with whatever you all decide to do, and we look forward to seeing you out at events (two of our members, DJ Cure and Hexadecibel are Vancouver-based, and two - misskatiemo and CEDE are NYC-based) and at WMC in March.

Also - feel free to connect with us directly via PM or on our website, twitter, Facebook, etc - we're around!
I see, yes it seem like you are doing a great job in this field! I Must not lie this was like the 1st time i have heard of this idea but little did i know this idea was all ready done. And about the "Reso" comment, someone kinda explained to me that when it was released he didnt really have that "big" name back then compared to now. I have had a look at all you info. You follow out the same idea i have
"We've always loved seeing how much talent is represented on DSF, and how much the members realize and want to further this talent."

DSF has some highly talent artist but they don't get picked up, so idea's such as these help people along the lines!

I hope you all the best, and wise you achieve a successful career (sub career) !

You meant be hearing from me soon.
A brand new song!

Soundcloud

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 am

If I make a Secret Ninja Dubs netlabel Soundcloud page for free download, would people be interested?

It would be good to have volunteers for artwork, mastering, promotion etc.

wub

Post by wub » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 am

Seems like a good idea.

Main concern would be quality control...who gets to say what goes up, or is it a free-for-all?

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 am

I'm thinking just release everything rather than vote yes/no.

Considering:
a) There may be a lot of submissions and
b) almost everything may be voted yes.

wub

Post by wub » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 am

jonahmann wrote:I'm thinking just release everything rather than vote yes/no.

Considering:
a) There may be a lot of submissions and
b) almost everything may be voted yes.
True, but what about stuff that is submitted that would not be considered release quality? Badly produced, first attempt at a tune stuff. Not wanting to slate the people making it, but if there is no quality control then it's not a label as such, it's more just another Soundcloud group.

bouncingfish

Post by bouncingfish » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 am

I have to agree with wub here. Everything can't be released!
I need to stop changing my sig

Hey, finally got soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/h-e-l-l-o
some guy from facebook wrote: -instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:09 am

Ok, so it'll be a vote yes/no system.

outbound

Post by outbound » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:53 am

Wow it's been while since I've seen this thread :)
Soundcloud
Online Mastering//FAQ//Studio
Evolution Mastering (Analogue/Digital) : 1st track Free sample + 50% off.
What Is Mastering?
http://www.facebook.com/outbounduk

fragments

Post by fragments » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Cool idea, but if you don't have some kind of system in place to handle things you might get flooded, immediately, with metric crap ton of dubs to deal with. Unless it's basically just gonna be a sound cloud group with free downloads.

Personally, if someone is going to do it, I'd rather see it be something like a sound cloud group for which tunes need approval, then do a quarterly VA comp that get's put up on a band camp page or something.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

Dub_Fiend

Post by Dub_Fiend » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 pm

fragments wrote:I'd rather see it be something like a sound cloud group for which tunes need approval, then do a quarterly VA comp that get's put up on a band camp page or something.
Definitely this. Reckon that'd work really well, say with like a council of a number of the more experienced members of the forum selecting the tunes maybe?
cloak and dagger wrote:number of posts on dsf = directly proportional to importance in the dubstep scene
| Facebook Page | Twitter | Soundcloud |

New release! Check 'Murda' on Monkey Dub Recordings, available at most digital music outlets!
Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:23 pm

Dub Fiend wrote:
fragments wrote:I'd rather see it be something like a sound cloud group for which tunes need approval, then do a quarterly VA comp that get's put up on a band camp page or something.
Definitely this. Reckon that'd work really well, say with like a council of a number of the more experienced members of the forum selecting the tunes maybe?
Yea. IMO member voting will also not work well. As you will have the whole people voting for themselves thing which makes the numbers run close every time, among other issues with people opening multiple accounts etc. Submissions for the SC group won't be blind, but doing blind judging for the VA comp would be easy enough. I'm not exactly a rules guy by nature...but trust that this will turn out a cluster fuck if it is run as "release everything no rules". No offense, just that I have helped run enough community projects to bet this way : )

If you have a few trusted members as judges I think that'll help things go well. I am sure we could get in contact with some respected members who don't come around anymore to guest judge occasionally, maybe even offer up a tune for a remix comp or something.

EDIT: Also, just throwing this out there, the project I link to in my signature might be interested in doing a collaboration with ya'll. We've done mostly non-dance and experimental stuff so far, but we are always looking to grow our audience. /shameless plug.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

_ronzlo_

Post by _ronzlo_ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm

wub wrote:Not wanting to slate the people making it...
Shaddup. You know you want to. :6: :lol:
nowaysj wrote: ...But the chick's panties that you drop with a keytar, marry that B.

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 pm

In that case I need volunteers for A&R.

test_recordings

Post by test_recordings » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:47 am

I'll listen to stuff and give opinions. Because I'm a lazy critic.

Still need a power amp and DAC ffs my monitors have been sat around for almost a year now
Getzatrhythm

jaydot

Post by jaydot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:33 pm

jonahmann wrote:If I make a Secret Ninja Dubs netlabel Soundcloud page for free download, would people be interested?

It would be good to have volunteers for artwork, mastering, promotion etc.
I would be interested.
Soundcloud

Soundcloud

tweet @jaydotdubstep

_ronzlo_

Post by _ronzlo_ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Me too. Send all the weird & wonky stuff my way. :mrgreen:
nowaysj wrote: ...But the chick's panties that you drop with a keytar, marry that B.

legend4ry

Post by legend4ry » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 pm

I'll throw a tune out to support my production heads.
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes
Soundcloud

Samuel_L_Damnson

Post by Samuel_L_Damnson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I will also submit some shizzz. any help where i can :)
Soundcloud
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli

Dub_Fiend

Post by Dub_Fiend » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 am

I don't mind getting involved as much as you want :) and definitely will be submitting some tunes ;)
cloak and dagger wrote:number of posts on dsf = directly proportional to importance in the dubstep scene
| Facebook Page | Twitter | Soundcloud |

New release! Check 'Murda' on Monkey Dub Recordings, available at most digital music outlets!
Soundcloud

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:30 am

hmu if you need artwork or something..
also a heads up if you're taking submissions ;D