Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Field recorders?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby Lurka » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Can anyone recommend me a good field recorder for around £300-400? i really don't know where to start with them and would like some advice! preferably one that has its own rechargeable battery as well!

big up! :D
Lurka
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby drokkr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:42 pm

drokkr

Postby Lurka » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:04 pm

hahaha im a twat! thanks a lot man! :D
Lurka
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby safeandsound » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Fostex FR2LE, used professionally for 3 years, never over recorded a file
never corrupted data, used with SANDISK Ultra cards it's bombproof.

Mic preamps quiet and clean.

No rechargeable battery though.

For it's own rechargeable battery you would be looking at the Tascam flash machines and they are much bulkier
and several hundred pounds more costly.

cheers
SafeandSound Mastering : PMC IB1S, MANLEY Massive Passive (Hardware), Summit Audio DCL-200, HCL Varis Vari Mu, Custom stereo linked 5 band mastering EQ.

.masteringmastering.co.uk/onlinemastering.html
safeandsound

Postby Lurka » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:59 pm

safeandsound wrote:Fostex FR2LE, used professionally for 3 years, never over recorded a file
never corrupted data, used with SANDISK Ultra cards it's bombproof.

Mic preamps quiet and clean.

No rechargeable battery though.

For it's own rechargeable battery you would be looking at the Tascam flash machines and they are much bulkier
and several hundred pounds more costly.

cheers

thank you very much man! this is very helpful! :D
Lurka
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby polygonfiction » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

I've been using a Zoom H4n this last year, I like it. Takes AAs but you could get rechargeable ones.
polygonfiction

Postby fiziks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:55 pm

I have a Tascam DR-07 and I paid $199.99 for it. They're at $149.99 now though. It records 24 bit wav's and it crystal fucking clear. I was blown away by the clarity of this thing. Seriously. Don't feel like you gotta drop a load of cash to get high quality recordings. It uses AA's but you could just get some rechargeables.
"You never quite see/hear what other people hear and I am sure you aren't going to whack off to yourself in the mirror unless you have some issues." - abz
fiziks

Postby ketamine » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm

fiziks wrote:I have a Tascam DR-07 and I paid $199.99 for it. They're at $149.99 now though. It records 24 bit wav's and it crystal fucking clear. I was blown away by the clarity of this thing. Seriously. Don't feel like you gotta drop a load of cash to get high quality recordings. It uses AA's but you could just get some rechargeables.

I'm so amazed at this thread. Been thinking about field recording last couple months but thought I needed kit like this: Image
ketamine

Postby daft cunt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm

I've no experience in field recording but heard only good things about the Zoom H4n.
daft cunt

Postby alphacat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:21 pm

It's not always the quietest thing but I still love my 90's Mini-Disc recorder, and they're cheaper than ever now. The ATRAC compression makes things nice and loud and for some reason sound better than many of the new handhelds I've heard. You could use all the cash you save on more & better mics too.

But I have to admit that some of the new generation of solid state digital recorders look too sexy to ignore forever...
alphacat

Postby limbo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 pm

I pretty much just use the Voice Recording app on my iPhone. It really sux when you are in a windy environment though, but if you are cheap like me for instance, it does the trick.
oo0)))000oooOOoo000ooooO!O!O(((o0o))))
limbo

Postby polygonfiction » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:21 pm

ketamine wrote:
fiziks wrote:I have a Tascam DR-07 and I paid $199.99 for it. They're at $149.99 now though. It records 24 bit wav's and it crystal fucking clear. I was blown away by the clarity of this thing. Seriously. Don't feel like you gotta drop a load of cash to get high quality recordings. It uses AA's but you could just get some rechargeables.

I'm so amazed at this thread. Been thinking about field recording last couple months but thought I needed kit like this: Image

You can do, the advantage with a decent shotgun mic is how directional the polar pattern is. Held out of a window you'd be able to pick up (more or less) just the sound of the plastic bag rustling in the wind if you pointed at it, then just the can rolling around if you pointed at that. Potentially really useful for field recordings, but lugging the gear around is a pain. It depends what you're after really.
polygonfiction

Postby Mad_EP » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:19 am

Field recording is such a strange beast - basically, depending on your goals and needs... you can either spend close to nothing or spend thousands & thousands... and get great results from either.

The more expensive side of things would be to get proper Boom mics, and maybe a Nagra recorder, etc...and that would help you get super clean, detailed recordings of outside sources.

Of course, you can also recreate some of those outside sources, INSIDE... a la Foley-style techniques. In which case a decent mic and handful of creativity to recreate sounds will suffice.

I've been using my late 90's Mini-disc recorder with pretty good results, but wind can really mess things up...plus it tends to pick up all sound indiscriminately, however that isn't always a bad thing. I have this recording of me walking around Brooklyn one morning... and I didn't realize till I got home that the mic was picking up the headphone cord bouncing back and forth. I was annoyed at first, but later grew to love it...

Those Zoom's look pretty good... and some day I'll look into upgrading my field recording set up... however, in the meantime I have had some fun playing around with a cheap mini cassette dictaphone I found. It is warbly and dirty as hell.. absolutely wonderful.
Tasty Cyanide Radio : Every 3rd Monday, 10pm-12am GMT

Booking: val [at] artik-unit.com
http://artik-unit.com/artists/mad-ep/
Licensing/Publishing: edzy [at] funklabs.com
http://www.funklabs.com/artists/mad-ep
Mad_EP

Postby deadly_habit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:38 am

dr07 if budget
deadly_habit

Postby kwami » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:45 am

I use a Senheiser Me66 shotgun it's very good with a Rycote softie, but to be honest wind protectors don't do much, an umbrella is more affective.

and I'd highly recommend listening to Chris Watson he's the daddy when it comes to recording outside.
kwami

Postby deadly_habit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 pm

tjhis thread is overkill tbh when it comes to what op is asking for
inbuilt mics will work op
deadly_habit

Postby flippo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:41 pm

very very happy with my Zoom h2 for the price! Not had an enormous amount of experience using other equipment to compare but it's definitely doing a good job for me. It's nearly always in my backpack just in case some cool sounds start happening.
flippo

Postby Lurka » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:46 pm

thanks for all of your help! i have decided to go with the zoom h4n as i have heard nothing but good things about this! cant wait till Christmas now! once again large up to everyone for suggestions! ure big! :D
Lurka
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical