Jakes Rmx Chainsaw Cali - Bass, bang in my face

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
stereotactic

Jakes Rmx Chainsaw Cali - Bass, bang in my face

Post by stereotactic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I am extremely loathe to post another 'sub bass' thread, but... Well... DAMN. The bass in that track literally punched my eyes into the back of my head.

I'm clearly missing something, because I just cannot get a sub/low bass to punch with that much force.

So the question is... What am I missing? I think I have tried all the usual culprits, EQ, filtering etc, and although I can make it 'bigger', fuller, I can't get it to punch.

I have tried layering with a kick as well, but still can't get it right. It may well just be I'm not sufficiently skilled to sculpt that sound yet, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything glaringly obvious.

Cheers!
Soundcloud
In here the dubshitstep what I committed

legend4ry

Re: Jakes Rmx Chainsaw Cali - Bass, bang in my face

Post by legend4ry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Theres not really any special tricks to get a pounding sub, just find the right point on the filter for the notes you're playing and maybe some compression.

What I think some people forget is that each note lies in a different frequency so your sub filtering should be the common ground between the notes its playing..Just move the filter up and down untill you find the biggest peak..

If in doubt, put a brick wall limiter your sub after filtering in the fx chain to get everything the same volume though it might not "sound" as punch for every note but it'll all be the same volume, waveform wise.
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes
Soundcloud

studio dread

Post by studio dread » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 pm

ADSR?

stereotactic

Post by stereotactic » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 am

ADSR?
Elaborate i.e. are you talking envelope to amp or routed to some other parameter? If you are talking a basic amplitude envelope I'm not sure how that would create 'punch'. I'm not talking sound shape or volume but weight.

But as I said, I am sure I must be missing something, so please explain!
Soundcloud

studio dread

Post by studio dread » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:45 pm

I though in your original post you said you had enough weight but not the punch?

Listening to it now i dont think i really get what you mean, maybe you could try some saturation?

jsills

Post by jsills » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:54 pm

not glaringly obvious but putting your sub in mono is key to adding weight.

m12

Post by m12 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:25 pm

I havent heard the track in question but one way to add punch to your sub is to give it a slight pitch envelope..

legend4ry

Post by legend4ry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:44 am

I said how to get punch in my post hehe..

plus it depends how you're playing the sub, you can't just play single notes and a lot of the punch in sub is the kick / sub relationship - having the sub cut out 1/4 of a bar before the next kick adds more of a "Boom" than just pure bass weight.
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes
Soundcloud

serox

Post by serox » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 am

stereotactic wrote:I am extremely loathe to post another 'sub bass' thread, but... Well... DAMN. The bass in that track literally punched my eyes into the back of my head.

I'm clearly missing something, because I just cannot get a sub/low bass to punch with that much force.

So the question is... What am I missing? I think I have tried all the usual culprits, EQ, filtering etc, and although I can make it 'bigger', fuller, I can't get it to punch.

I have tried layering with a kick as well, but still can't get it right. It may well just be I'm not sufficiently skilled to sculpt that sound yet, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything glaringly obvious.

Cheers!
Well for a start I dont think you know the difference between Sub bass and Mid range bass. Listening thru PC speakers it sounds like a standard sub layered with loads of shit with distortion with modulations on bla bla bla.

Sub frequencies do not punch imo. You need to be looking a little higher up for the punch area.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

noizy parka

Post by noizy parka » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

serox wrote:
Well for a start I dont think you know the difference between Sub bass and Mid range bass. Listening thru PC speakers it sounds like a standard sub layered with loads of shit with distortion with modulations on bla bla bla.

Sub frequencies do not punch imo. You need to be looking a little higher up for the punch area.
This.

Roll of your sub at the edge of the sub range maybe just slightly below your kick.. say 100Hz

Then get a motherfukin punchy bastardo mid bass and sit it on top, roll of the bottom from 100 and roll of the top so it sits like a boxers glove in the midrange that should punch

stereotactic

Post by stereotactic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks Serox and Noisy Parka. That is pretty much exactly what I meant by 'am I missing something' as I can't get my sub to punch... With the tune in question I thought that it sounds low, but really clear and weighty so I naturally assumed I was missing something in respect of sub bass, and I didn't really consider that another layer may be adding the punch.

Thanks for the answers fellas, appreciated.
Soundcloud

teffa

Post by teffa » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:02 pm

And perhaps by chance anyone has any ideas on how to make that sort of "scream" filtered midrange bass..any waveforms or etc.?? :?

stappard

Post by stappard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:38 pm

teffa wrote:And perhaps by chance anyone has any ideas on how to make that sort of "scream" filtered midrange bass..any waveforms or etc.?? :?

have you tried the 'scream' filter on massive? :lol:

teffa

Post by teffa » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:35 pm

stappard wrote:
teffa wrote:And perhaps by chance anyone has any ideas on how to make that sort of "scream" filtered midrange bass..any waveforms or etc.?? :?

have you tried the 'scream' filter on massive? :lol:
Well yeah :D but didn't get the sound that I wanted at all :?

JimmaJamJamie

Post by JimmaJamJamie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm

legend4ry wrote:If in doubt, put a brick wall limiter your sub after filtering in the fx chain to get everything the same volume though it might not "sound" as punch for every note but it'll all be the same volume, waveform wise.
Does a Brick wall limiter keep the bass at a constant volume rather than it going up and down when i change key?

And can you recommend any?