HOW DO I PROFFESIONALLY LAY ACCEPELLAS ON REASON 4

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
le_knigh

HOW DO I PROFFESIONALLY LAY ACCEPELLAS ON REASON 4

Post by le_knigh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 pm

I would lov to know from ne1 who has done this how the hell to lay accapelas on to a track in reason 4...ive heard though the nn-xt which i can bring a sample but a song...??....not happenin ....so im curious as to how people accomplish this ... :)

Ongelegen

Re: HOW DO I PROFFESIONALLY LAY ACCEPELLAS ON REASON 4

Post by Ongelegen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 pm

u can load wav files as samples into the 2 samplers, the nn-xt or the nn19

abZ

Post by abZ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:42 pm

I don't know what you mean professionally? There is no neat and clean way to do it. You can do it but you have to rig the whole thing. The best thing to do is use it with Record or rewire to Ableton or whatever then lay on your acapella with that tbh

Assassin

Post by Assassin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

troopa wrote:I would lov to know from ne1 who has done this how the hell to lay accapelas on to a track in reason 4...ive heard though the nn-xt which i can bring a sample but a song...??....not happenin ....so im curious as to how people accomplish this ... :)
if you manage to achieve this you have bigger balls than I

acapellas can be bastards as it is never mind playing each word in seperately.

Try record if you've not been sainted yet.

Ongelegen

Post by Ongelegen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:49 pm

abZ wrote:The best thing to do is use it with Record or rewire to Ableton or whatever then lay on your acapella with that tbh
true, it will make it alot easier to lay it on the beat precisely. The annoying thing about loading it into one of the samplers is that you dont see the waveform and it will only play when it hits the start of the note. So once you stop it halfway thru u have u play it all the way from the beginning to make it play again.

DZA

Post by DZA » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Reason is a pain in the arse for using samples
jackmaster wrote:you went in with this mix.
.onelove. wrote:There needs to be a DZA app on iPhone just for id'ing old Grime tracks.
Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/keepitgully http://www.mixcloud.com/slevarance/

abZ

Post by abZ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Project EX wrote:
abZ wrote:The best thing to do is use it with Record or rewire to Ableton or whatever then lay on your acapella with that tbh
true, it will make it alot easier to lay it on the beat precisely. The annoying thing about loading it into one of the samplers is that you dont see the waveform and it will only play when it hits the start of the note. So once you stop it halfway thru u have u play it all the way from the beginning to make it play again.
Yup, that is why I have such an appreciation for the audio lanes in Ableton now.

Bazzle09

Post by Bazzle09 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Yeah not the easiest software for the job, but if you can split the pela into 1 or two bar length clips, then have each 1 in its own zone in the NNXT, and your project tempo is near enough the same as the pela, it will sound ok.

i was doing that til i found ableton. :lol: seems so silly now.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm

DZA wrote:Reason is a pain in the arse for using samples
ABLETON

abZ

Post by abZ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Bazzle09 wrote:Yeah not the easiest software for the job, but if you can split the pela into 1 or two bar length clips, then have each 1 in its own zone in the NNXT, and your project tempo is near enough the same as the pela, it will sound ok.

$$$

Bazzle09

Post by Bazzle09 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm

abZ wrote:
Bazzle09 wrote:Yeah not the easiest software for the job, but if you can split the pela into 1 or two bar length clips, then have each 1 in its own zone in the NNXT, and your project tempo is near enough the same as the pela, it will sound ok.

$$$
Shit's so cash :wink:

DZA

Post by DZA » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:01 pm

gnome wrote:
DZA wrote:Reason is a pain in the arse for using samples
ABLETON
WINS
jackmaster wrote:you went in with this mix.
.onelove. wrote:There needs to be a DZA app on iPhone just for id'ing old Grime tracks.
Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/keepitgully http://www.mixcloud.com/slevarance/

abZ

Post by abZ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Bazzle09 wrote:
abZ wrote:

$$$
Shit's so cash :wink:
Eh there is always Reaper.

le_knigh

Post by le_knigh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 pm

ouch...i hear wot u lot are sayin man..reasons is not my friend for this at all ..ive even thought to break it up on adobe and load in bit by bit...missions for sure...dont really understand the theory behind the nn-xt n the nn-19 ?..is what i was sayin wot u meant <<< ...excuse me for bein a retard but what is 'record' ,,,i know little about this software...i am buildin a clinical hate for reasons at present :( :/ ..so many tunes make their accapelas sound like they should b on their..im gona go turn on reasons and cry ...lol

le_knigh

Post by le_knigh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 am

cheers dude..still dont make ne sense it never does when u got a whole lot of readin n only wana get to the main question..i shall investigate

ninjadog

Post by ninjadog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 am

Record is an app made by the guys who made Reason. It lets you record audio. It also has a sick time stretch that would help you out.

Like mentioned above the best way to bring long samples into reason is to chop them up into smaller pieces. It's a total pain in the ass, but about the only way to have some sort of control over the sample falling onto the right beat. And since Reason only will play a sample from the start it's better to have a few start points so you dont have to listen from the start of the sample to see if something 4 minutes in lines up.

b166er

Post by b166er » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:12 am

troopa wrote:still dont make ne sense it never does when u got a whole lot of readin n only wana get to the main question..i shall investigate
Oh this shit aint neva gonna get done. Dont like to read, not a book, but a webpage, but youre gonna do some investigation.... :roll:
Dirtier than fingering your sister and finding your dad's wedding ring...

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Propellerheads have a business plan based on making Reasonheads buy Record to record audio, and Recycle to chop up audio.

Boycott them for being so restrictive (and for not releasing Reason 5 with all of those features built in) and save yourself the pain by using a program that works with audio samples properly.

Reaper, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, Renoise et al will all do the job nicely.

Reason isn't a professional audio editing application, so if you want decent results quickly, I really do suggest investing in an alternative program!

Peas

b166er

Post by b166er » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Oh pish... Reason is as good as it comes. You wanna chop up audio? You can do it in Recycle, or Audacity for pete sakes. You wanna get real creative, do it in NNXT. Just cause YOU cant do it well doesn't make Reason any less of a top notch tool. Boycott Reason because its not as inclusive as you wish it was? Please. Propellerheads is a top notch company, they do any and everything you see any other DAW maker out there doing. They made a fairly closed system, but add enough details to keep the most inquisitive minds reeling. I say we boycott Windows for not allowing AudioUnits. Lol. Please....
Dirtier than fingering your sister and finding your dad's wedding ring...