HOW DO I PROFFESIONALLY LAY ACCEPELLAS ON REASON 4

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
futures_untold

Re: HOW DO I PROFFESIONALLY LAY ACCEPELLAS ON REASON 4

Post by futures_untold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 pm

b166er wrote:How exactly would it work if you rewired Reason to do Reaper functions? Would you have to record the stuff in Reaper first?
One could use Reaper (or any other mainstream Rewire compatible host) to record and edit the vocals, while using Reason as the sound source for the instrumental.

Reaper Rewire templates are available from here ---> http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=7

or here ---> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php? ... post189933

step correct

Post by step correct » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Well, seeing as I ditched cubase until I can afford 5.. I've gone back to reason and TBH I really like it!! It's really given me a handle on how routing works and that..but I still wanna be able to use VST so I'm thinkin' Reaper now. It's still free right?

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:52 pm

step correct wrote:Well, seeing as I ditched cubase until I can afford 5.. I've gone back to reason and TBH I really like it!! It's really given me a handle on how routing works and that..but I still wanna be able to use VST so I'm thinkin' Reaper now. It's still free right?
It's 'free' for as long as you like... ;)

If you understand routing in Reason, Reaper makes shit fairly simple too.

Say you want to route one channel through another channel (creating a send bus). Just click and drag from the 'IO' button on the first channel to anywhere in the second channel. (The mouse cursor will change into an audio jack icon if you do this right.) Your audio is now routed as a send. Use the second channels volume fader as the return level.

If you want to route one channel through another channel without being able to hear the first channel, press the 'IO' button on the channel you don't want to hear and deselect the 'Master/Parent Send' box. This is useful for grouping and processing channels.

the equivelent can easily be achieved in Reason, and admittedly it looks cooler in Reason. But VST's are cooler than the Reason plugs hehe :twisted:

le_knigh

Post by le_knigh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:17 pm

so reaper is a vsti correct ?..its my understandin u cant actually plug thm into reason tho rite ??...

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:30 pm

troopa wrote:so reaper is a vsti correct ?..its my understandin u cant actually plug thm into reason tho rite ??...
Reaper isn't a vsti, but can act as a rewire host or a rewire slave. This means you could slave Reaper to Ableton or FL Studio etc. Reason runs as a Rewire slave with all programs other than Record and Rebirth.

VST and VSTi (instrument) are a plugin format which most music recording applications support. Reason doesn't support VST or VSTi, and this has caused much dismay to users over the years.

Programs like FL Studio and Reaktor can be run in VSTi mode, which is great for users of multiple host programs (like FL and Live). Reason would suit working as a VSTi too, but Propellerheads don't seem to agree. The main advantage of running Reason as a VSTi is that we could simply load Reason into a sequencer channel like we do with other VST's, allowing us to forget the nightmare that Rewire ever existed! 8)

Another great thing Propellerheads could do is to release VST versions of all of Reasons rack devices, like the excellent Scream 4 distortion, the RV7000 reverb or the Malstrom synth.

le_knigh

Post by le_knigh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:47 pm

i so need a nu programme dude...i started on fl but got bored of it cus of the never endin havin to buy add ons for it ...i found reason came as one big pakage with a good proffesional sound to it, as i was just learnin at the time i fink i was iffluencenced by peers in this direction,,now as i am learnin about it i get more n more frustrated as took so much time to learn wots wot n still am not 100 % ,,very frustratin :(

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:08 am

troopa wrote:i so need a nu programme dude...i started on fl but got bored of it cus of the never endin havin to buy add ons for it ...i found reason came as one big pakage with a good proffesional sound to it, as i was just learnin at the time i fink i was iffluencenced by peers in this direction,,now as i am learnin about it i get more n more frustrated as took so much time to learn wots wot n still am not 100 % ,,very frustratin :(
Reason is a great program to learn about the basics of routing, common studio effects and sequencing. Stick with it if you've already invested a lot of time in learning how it works.

Eventually, you may find you want to move on to other programs? (I moved on to Reaper after using Reason and Cubase for years).

As ointed out a million times already, it ain't what tools ya got, but how you use them ;)