The Sound of Bacteria

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
alphacat

The Sound of Bacteria

Post by alphacat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Which one of you fuckers is buying me this for Christmas? :D

http://www.physorg.com/news186426510.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- Acting as a microscope for sound, a new device called a micro-ear could make objects on the micro-scale audible. The device could enable scientists to listen to the sounds that cells and bacteria make as they move about, as well as listen to micro-scale events such as how drugs interact with microorganisms.

The micro-ear is being developed by scientists from the University of Glasgow, the University of Oxford, and the National Institute of Medical Research at Mill Hill in the UK. It’s based on the same laser technique that is used to create optical tweezers, which measure tiny forces on small scales.

"We are now using the sensitivity afforded by the optical tweezer as a very sensitive microphone," said Jon Cooper from the University of Glasgow, who is heading the micro-ear project.

While optical tweezers work by suspending tiny electrically-charged beads in a single beam of laser light, the micro-ear concept consists of several of these light beams arranged in a ring in order to surround and eavesdrop on a tiny object. Sound emitted from the object causes the beads suspended in the light to vibrate, and these vibrations can be measured by a high-speed camera.

The scientists have already used the micro-ear to listen to Brownian motion - the random movement of particles in a fluid. They also plan to use the device to listen to bacterial flagella, the tail-like motors that propel bacteria through their environments. Currently, in order to study the movement of flagella, scientists have to genetically engineer bacteria to enable beads to be stuck to their flagella, and observe the beads with a camera. The micro-ear will hopefully make it possible to observe natural bacteria in a non-invasive way.

The micro-ear could also have applications in the medical field. For example, researchers hope to listen to the movement of the human trypanosome parasite, which causes sleeping sickness. By understanding how the parasite moves through human blood, scientists might be able to develop new medicines that stop the bacteria’s flagellum.

"It’s truly exploratory in that we expect and hope we will hear something interesting, but we really don't know," said physicist Richard Berry of the University of Oxford.

gnome

Re: The Sound of Bacteria

Post by gnome » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 pm

What a great idea I wonder if anything amazing will appear like a form of language. I would also love to shout when somebody is listening to the microphone lol

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 pm

gnome wrote:What a great idea I wonder if anything amazing will appear like a form of language. I would also love to shout when somebody is listening to the microphone lol
You're an evil fucker, gnome. Heh. "TEST! This thing on?! [tap tap]"

I predict that this new nanophone (can't call it a microphone can we?) will spawn a whole new subgenre of IDM called 'Squish' or something like that.

back2onett

Post by back2onett » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm

alphacat wrote:
gnome wrote:What a great idea I wonder if anything amazing will appear like a form of language. I would also love to shout when somebody is listening to the microphone lol
You're an evil fucker, gnome. Heh. "TEST! This thing on?! [tap tap]"

I predict that this new nanophone (can't call it a microphone can we?) will spawn a whole new subgenre of IDM called 'Squish' or something like that.
Squishstep, teh wobblez... only smaller
How does I wobbled bass?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Squish haha thats quality. We should rename microphones to megaphones and megaphones to gigantaphones

sifres

Post by sifres » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Mmmm.. And my first thought was about defecating on a microphone... This is more boring actually.
6 afraid of 7 cause 7 8 9

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm

sifres wrote:Mmmm.. And my first thought was about defecating on a microphone... This is more boring actually.
You Dutch are seriously sick fucks. Maybe that's why I like you guys so much... nah. Never mind. It's just your weed that I like.

;)

zapruderpedro

Post by zapruderpedro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm

the thing with making wobbles out of defecating onto a microphone is that i could never get the lfo to sync to the filter cutoff quite right

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 pm

zapruderpedro wrote:the thing with making wobbles out of defecating onto a microphone is that i could never get the lfo to sync to the filter cutoff quite right
You have the wrong kind of LFO: you need a Lil' Fecal Oscillator, not a Low Frequency Oscillator.

That's the only way to know when the shit hits the fan, right?

zapruderpedro

Post by zapruderpedro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 pm

SKEE BA BOP BA DOP BOP

grooki

Post by grooki » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 am

cool

Daylun

Post by Daylun » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 am

This is absolutely freaky.. I have just made a filthy dubstep track with strange sounds in it .. I couldn't think of a name for it so I typed in 'what does the sound of bacteria sound like?' in google because the sounds kindof sound a bit like an organism of some kind and surpise surpise there is a dubstep topic on this lol. Ill post the track let me know what you think.. I think I will name the track 'the sound of bacteria' ;) Thanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfeytfmigKA

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:24 am

Bacteria communicate with each other with a chemical, so they know how much of them there is. They have both a species-specific and universal bacteria chemical.

Aufnahmewindwuschel

Post by Aufnahmewindwuschel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:25 am

:corncry: hoped you talk about ed rush and optical
jedi govna, picka ти materina
glasses?
Soundcloud

kaiori breathe

Post by kaiori breathe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 am

That sounds amazing. I wish somebody would make a micronose though.

Brothulhu

Post by Brothulhu » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 am

jonahmann wrote:
Bacteria communicate with each other with a chemical, so they know how much of them there is. They have both a species-specific and universal bacteria chemical.
That's some cool shit there
Soundcloud
Comfi wrote:I have done nothing more than made shitty dungeon and for that I apologise.

billybuxton

Post by billybuxton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:47 pm

BudSpencertron wrote:hoped you talk about ed rush and optical
+1

OfficialDAPT

Post by OfficialDAPT » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:50 pm

it would be awesome if this could somehow lead to advances in medical knowledge.
7 year old BROstep/Trapstep/Chillstep producer from India. Young. Talented. 7 Years Old. Super skilled for age. Signed to NOW22. Biography written in 3rd person on soundcloud OBVI. The next Skrillex. Wait I don't even like him anymore LOL. Super talented. Only 6 years old.

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 pm

OfficialDAPT wrote:it would be awesome if this could somehow lead to advances in medical knowledge.
Catch bacteria talking shit about your health before actually doing anything to it

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society