REASON 4 OR FRUITY LOOPS?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
bokatordubstep

Re: REASON 4 OR FRUITY LOOPS?

Post by bokatordubstep » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 pm

trench wrote:You ever wonder if there are other producers in parallel dimensions to ours, but in their dimension... Reason has VST support, Cubase doesn't crash, Logics newest platform runs on a PC, and Fruity Loops has a sequencer that doesn't suck. Maybe Stephen Hawking can get me a ticket on the first bus out.

P.S. I use both FL and Reason. Reason mostly, just cause I know it better.
how does FL's sequencer suck?

and why do i keep seeing people bitch about automation in FL?

it's easy as pie.
parson wrote:if borgore and kid rock had babies, they would come to bokator for tips on gamin'
Basic A wrote:Fuckin with the Bokator, you fuckin with yo life. He dont play no games.
http://www.myspace.com/bokatordubstep
http://www.furthersound.com/bokator
STUPID FLY/BETAMORPH/5HZ/DUB CARTEL

Neurotik

Post by Neurotik » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm

deadcell wrote:used to be reason 4 converted to FL9 aint looked back
Same, well Briscance was the one that encouraged my conversion back to FL8 last year :lol:. I spent about a year on FL when i had just began just working with mainly audio samples, FL synths and not knowing anything about how to use eq and fx properly and being the gullable beginner that i was i went out and bought Reason thinking that new (and more complicated looking) software would automatically make me better music...well, to some extent it did make things easier for me at the time and i was content with Reason for just over a couple of years until i actually started to take interest in actually learning about what i was doing which did greatly further progress with Reason but also started to see how i was limited in certain areas. Wasn't long after that i realised (with the help of Briscance :lol:) that the problems i had with FL were not down to the software, they were all down to me not having enough patience to learn enough about the software to make those functions accessible that were there all along. After starting to use FL more alongside Reason, i started to get myself some VST/i's and from there my preference grew to using FL again and now i pretty much use it all the time. Took no hesitation upgrading to FL9 and i just can't help but think how much more progress i could have made if i had stuck to it from the start and had the patience to learn rather than chasing the misguided idea that the more expensive and complicated looking stuff will do the work for me. No regrets on buying Reason though, i just managed to learn that the only real limitation on this software is the knowledge of the person using it.
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be.

Soundcloud

http://www.facebook.com/paulintrospectionistsampson
http://www.myspace.com/welcometoneurosis

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:07 pm

bokatordubstep wrote:
trench wrote:You ever wonder if there are other producers in parallel dimensions to ours, but in their dimension... Reason has VST support, Cubase doesn't crash, Logics newest platform runs on a PC, and Fruity Loops has a sequencer that doesn't suck. Maybe Stephen Hawking can get me a ticket on the first bus out.

P.S. I use both FL and Reason. Reason mostly, just cause I know it better.
how does FL's sequencer suck?

and why do i keep seeing people bitch about automation in FL?

it's easy as pie.
I find that compared to Reason 3 or Reaper, the sequencer is very fiddly to use. One has to select a different tool for each task or hold down a keyboard shortcut/modifier like CTRL to do simple stuff like change the looping and stuff.

Also, using clips is both a boon and a hindrance depending on your workflow preferences. The 'make unique' command is useful, but slower than simply copying a clip and double clicking it to edit the contents as is the case in Reason and Reaper.

While I like FL overall, I do find its interface and workflow a little convoluted. In Reaper, every channel has its own inserts which can be reordered simply by draging and droping the plugin name above or below the previous plugins. This kind of thing takes far longer in both FL and Reason.

I can also create an FX bus for multiple tracks in 2 clicks in Reaper, whereas in FL and Reason it also takes longer.

Reaper ftw :P

Brisance

Post by Brisance » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 am

futures_untold wrote: While I like FL overall, I do find its interface and workflow a little convoluted. In Reaper, every channel has its own inserts which can be reordered simply by draging and droping the plugin name above or below the previous plugins. This kind of thing takes far longer in both FL and Reason.
hover over the insert and use the mouse wheel to do that.

mc wayne

Post by mc wayne » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:27 am

bolsty wrote:
serox wrote:

This is why old music is better :D

They really took the time to learn how to use that box and made decent grooves and decent sounds! with too many options available people dont seem to be making stuff as good I think :)
This.
are you saying we should go back to akai samplers :u:

hardware is dead
head of brostep defence

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 am

Brisance wrote:
futures_untold wrote: While I like FL overall, I do find its interface and workflow a little convoluted. In Reaper, every channel has its own inserts which can be reordered simply by draging and droping the plugin name above or below the previous plugins. This kind of thing takes far longer in both FL and Reason.
hover over the insert and use the mouse wheel to do that.
Couldn't be faster...

and you can drag and drop fx between channels, eazy peazy.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

kejk

Post by kejk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

mc wayne wrote:
bolsty wrote:
serox wrote:

They really took the time to learn how to use that box and made decent grooves and decent sounds! with too many options available people dont seem to be making stuff as good I think :)
This.

hardware is dead
What he is trying to say is, limits improve your creativity. Which is very true.
paravrais wrote:It genuinely was a couple of years before I realised it was pronounced re-noise not ren-wah :i:

cigaro5676

Post by cigaro5676 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 pm

i personally use both. i was a little hesitant to use FL studio because I have heard so many people bash it, but I have a buddy who is a trance producer who uses FL studio and for some things it is much much better than reason.

For example, making a beat for me is much much easier in FL. It is kinda tendious in reason honestly.
Adding effects, like reverb, delay ect. is also easier in FL imo

But i find reason has a better programmer and sequencer, i personally like being able to do the cable routing and hand program the "digital" rack.

but at the end of the day what DAW you use really doesnt matter. if your tunes suck, they will suck no matter what daw you made it on

Cheers
My first dubstep tune, been producing for around 5 months, so be gentle, lemme know what you think :D
Soundcloud

bolsty

Post by bolsty » Sat May 15, 2010 4:01 pm

mc wayne wrote:
bolsty wrote:
serox wrote:

This.

hardware is dead
not at all, fuck that.. I was just agreeing about the taking the time part.
lowpass wrote:It's very easy to go onto beatport and pick up 10 tunes for a tenner, but when you have to think that 20 pounds will get you maybe 3 songs, really makes you take the time to listen and think about what your filling your bag up with

le_knigh

Post by le_knigh » Sun May 16, 2010 6:18 pm

i use both ,, i like to make my drums on fruity cus i find the sequencer cushty and really fast flowin and hav a good visual onit, reasons 'redrum' i find really stressful n cant get a bigga picture wen makin 8 bar loops there to much stop start involved for me, then i run it though reason n use it to make bass because i find u get a better sound n not to clued up with digital sythnesisers..

..u allways here people say which one is better than others n u allways wana know that urs is up to scratch with the big producers,,from wot ive bin learnin it all about havin some top notch samples and a good knowledge of how to layer n eq them and this u can do in any programme which leaves me to fink really it dont matter wot daw u got..

:z:

mc wayne

Post by mc wayne » Sun May 16, 2010 6:52 pm

antirawker wrote:that's an easy one...

...Renoise :D
+1
head of brostep defence

450kbps

Post by 450kbps » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 am

it really comes down to personal preference, both can do the same things if you take the time to learn them.
Reasons synths trump fruityloops by far, but fruityloops has a more friendly gui.

I use rewire and enjoy the best of both worlds, i also enjoy how easily you can assign midi in fruity loops.

... that said.

Abelton > (fruityloops + reason)

http://reverbnation.com/450kbps

marsstu

Post by marsstu » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 am

dont know if anybodys already posted this but , i saw somebody mention about you cant have reason full screen , just lower the resolutiion and you get it ful screen :)

kejk

Post by kejk » Tue May 18, 2010 9:52 am

450kbps wrote:it really comes down to personal preference, both can do the same things if you take the time to learn them.
Reasons synths trump fruityloops by far, but fruityloops has a more friendly gui.

I use rewire and enjoy the best of both worlds, i also enjoy how easily you can assign midi in fruity loops.

... that said.

How could reason's synths ever tump fruity loops'? You got an infinite amount of possibilities by using plug-ins.

Fruity loops can do way more than Reason.

... that said.

I use Reason.
paravrais wrote:It genuinely was a couple of years before I realised it was pronounced re-noise not ren-wah :i:

Basic A

Post by Basic A » Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 am

Synths a synth, DAWs a DAW, pick a workflow n quit overcomplicating thing.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

:::::: Basic A. ::::: [url=hhttp://soundcloud.com/teknicyde]Teknicyde[/url] ::::: [url=hhttp://soundcloud.com/drjinx]Dr. J!nx[/url] :::::
Phantom Hertz - Fentplates - Reboot Records - Cosmology - Applied Mathematics

Brisance

Post by Brisance » Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 am

troopa wrote: bigga
fink
wot
u
Is typing like a monkey "cool" these days?

kejk

Post by kejk » Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 am

Brisance wrote:
troopa wrote: bigga
fink
wot
u
Is typing like a monkey "cool" these days?
I suppose it is in the "uuuuuu.kaaaaaaa..."

450kbps

Post by 450kbps » Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 pm

kejk wrote:
450kbps wrote:it really comes down to personal preference, both can do the same things if you take the time to learn them.

... that said.

How could reason's synths ever tump fruity loops'? You got an infinite amount of possibilities by using plug-ins.

Fruity loops can do way more than Reason.

... that said.

I use Reason.
... :u: Fruity loops may be able to do more than reason, but lacks very important features. (or maybe i just dont know how to do them in FL)
for instance sidechain compression, in reason, its easy as pie. In Fl Studio, it becomes a pain in the ass...
Like i said, honestly, you should just use both and rewire them together.

or just say screw it and learn abelton. :-D

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 pm

450kbps wrote:(or maybe i just dont know how to do them in FL)
Likely, given your statement regarding sidechain compression.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

press

Post by press » Tue May 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Brisance wrote:The main thing I hate about reason, is that if your project gets more complex, the wires get messy and annoying as hell, you cant even hit F12 to escape the mess like in FL you can. I know I can put things in combinators, but then still wires from the lower combinators will dangle in the way. Also FL has 99 mixer channels with inserts so you only have to use one.

hit "L" it hides the wires then you just hover over the inputs/outputs and it says where its connected to, i dont ever really manually attached the wires anymore.
Shift./Onset/Requiem/Gamma/Paradise Lost/Sub Pressure/Gradient/WattHZ/2012/Rottun/Kursed/Betamorph
Soundcloud