Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

I cannot work out if this is just an 808! My 808s sound the same nearly but this has a real punch (not on about the boom!) to it. Even with the attack down I get a little clip/punch but its not hard hitting like in this. It sounds more like an 808 LP or attack up with a 909 bd on top of it but when I try that it still does not give the first punch that you hear. The tail and BOOM is easy to get with any 808, but the punch I cannot find in any 808 sample.

I have tried compression, dist and lp filters.

I think it is either an 808 with some EQ Boosting going on or it has been made from scratch to hit like this. I dont think compression changes the sound to make it punch like this but maybe I am wrong?

Can you hear/feel it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-TE6yeq9w
Last edited by serox on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

User avatar
kejk
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by kejk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:31 pm

serox wrote:I cannot work out if this is just an 808! My 808s sound the same nearly but this has a real punch (not on about the boom!) to it. Even with the attack down I get a little clip/punch but its not hard hitting like in this. It sounds more like an 808 LP or attack up with a 909 bd on top of it but when I try that it still does not give the first punch that you hear. The tail and BOOM is easy to get with any 808, but the punch I cannot find in any 808 sample.

I have tried compression, dist and lp filters.

I think it is either an 808 with some EQ Boosting going on or it has been made from scratch to hit like this. I dont think compression changes the sound to make it punch like this but maybe I am wrong?

Can you hear/feel it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-TE6yeq9w
I can't hear/feel it since I'm at work.

My first guess would be compression, even though you metioned you tried it already. Have you tried parallel compression with a bit of bitcrush?

Can't you just sample it?
paravrais wrote:It genuinely was a couple of years before I realised it was pronounced re-noise not ren-wah :i:

User avatar
drokkr
Posts: 7128
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by drokkr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Yep, that's an 808. Might be layered with another one that's been pitched up slightly.

User avatar
jsills
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 am
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by jsills » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:05 pm

id be willing to bet money that punch is coming from some sort of outboard compression. it sounds so warm. fuck me loefah's tracks sound so good, i have never heard an 808 as big as this.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

kejk wrote: I can't hear/feel it since I'm at work.

My first guess would be compression, even though you metioned you tried it already. Have you tried parallel compression with a bit of bitcrush?

Can't you just sample it?
Yeh I did sample it to get a better look at it. It has hats going the whole time and when I remove the hats it removes the punch.

Compression does not seem to give it the initial hit that it has, its different...

New York style gives a nice big boom but it does not give it the punch either like in this hit.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

drokkr wrote:Yep, that's an 808. Might be layered with another one that's been pitched up slightly.
Tried that. You run into so much phasing issues its not even worth it.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm

jsills wrote:id be willing to bet money that punch is coming from some sort of outboard compression. it sounds so warm. fuck me loefah's tracks sound so good, i have never heard an 808 as big as this.
There isn't an 808 as big as this thats why:) what do you mean by outboard compression?

It could be that its just an 808 when he done the track but some pro mastering engineers have increased the punch point.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

User avatar
lowpass
Posts: 2688
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by lowpass » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 pm

serox wrote:
kejk wrote: I can't hear/feel it since I'm at work.

My first guess would be compression, even though you metioned you tried it already. Have you tried parallel compression with a bit of bitcrush?

Can't you just sample it?
Yeh I did sample it to get a better look at it. It has hats going the whole time and when I remove the hats it removes the punch.

Compression does not seem to give it the initial hit that it has, its different...

New York style gives a nice big boom but it does not give it the punch either like in this hit.
Surely if you're talking about hats taking the punch out then sidechain compression is at work here?

will listen now

User avatar
jsills
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 am
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by jsills » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

serox wrote:
jsills wrote:id be willing to bet money that punch is coming from some sort of outboard compression. it sounds so warm. fuck me loefah's tracks sound so good, i have never heard an 808 as big as this.
There isn't an 808 as big as this thats why:) what do you mean by outboard compression?

It could be that its just an 808 when he done the track but some pro mastering engineers have increased the punch point.
i meant a hardware compressor. a master can definitely get a lot of character to come out of a sound in the final treatment so i wouldnt be surprised if its a matter of great processing.

User avatar
lowpass
Posts: 2688
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by lowpass » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Just listened yeah I'm gonna stick with sidechain compression (kick triggering the key input to the percussion)

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:46 pm

lowpass wrote:
Surely if you're talking about hats taking the punch out then sidechain compression is at work here?

will listen now
nah yiou got me wrong bro.

I said when I sampled the hit it also has hi hats over it. To remove the hi hats with a filter/eq also messes with the punch of the sound.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 pm

lowpass wrote:Just listened yeah I'm gonna stick with sidechain compression (kick triggering the key input to the percussion)
I dont get you! :)

Sidechain compression to duck the sound other sounds out when the 808 hits?!

How would that change the sound of the hit? even an 808 alone with no other sounds, sounds nothing like this!
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

User avatar
kejk
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by kejk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm

serox wrote:I said when I sampled the hit it also has hi hats over it. To remove the hi hats with a filter/eq also messes with the punch of the sound.
Maybe unconsciously the hats are what makes it feel like a big hit?

Yet again - I can't listen, youtube is blocked at work :>
paravrais wrote:It genuinely was a couple of years before I realised it was pronounced re-noise not ren-wah :i:

User avatar
jsills
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 am
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by jsills » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

I vote for a Loefah Q&A, id love to ask that fool how he gets his sound. easily my fav dubstep prod.

deadly_habit
Posts: 22980
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 am
Location: MURRICA

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:07 pm

(*cough tape 808 pack*) k done advertising
parallel aka ny compression is what you are after
and some careful eq work
some tape sat can help, but you don't need real outboard to recreate that, just some good ears combined with a spectral or a quality sub setup and you're good
also good idea asking macc he's the 808 don imo

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:08 pm

jsills wrote:I vote for a Loefah Q&A, id love to ask that fool how he gets his sound. easily my fav dubstep prod.
Hands down one of the best.

so far the most likely answer is that it has been EQ boosted at this 'thump' frequency at mastering stage imo.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808?

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm

kejk wrote:
serox wrote:I said when I sampled the hit it also has hi hats over it. To remove the hi hats with a filter/eq also messes with the punch of the sound.
Maybe unconsciously the hats are what makes it feel like a big hit?

Yet again - I can't listen, youtube is blocked at work :>
100% not:)

I have had an 808 and this going at the same db levels. This one in the track has a real thump that an 808 does not have. I dont mean the BOOM that an 808 has.

My room shakes, its very low, but a normal 808 does not have this THUMP.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

deadly_habit
Posts: 22980
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 am
Location: MURRICA

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 pm

you can layer a sine wave under an 808 you know :wink:

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 pm

deadly habit wrote:(*cough tape 808 pack*) k done advertising
parallel aka ny compression is what you are after
and some careful eq work
some tape sat can help, but you don't need real outboard to recreate that, just some good ears combined with a spectral or a quality sub setup and you're good
also good idea asking macc he's the 808 don imo
Yep man I got the quality 808 samples.

Parallel compression does nothing to give it the thump, it gives it the boom, but not the thump which is the first hit at the start.

I have used tape sat also, it does not seem to do the above.

I put Macc in the topic, he will know what I am on about when he hears how different it is I think.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:13 pm

deadly habit wrote:you can layer a sine wave under an 808 you know :wink:
Yeh but thats just for sub, I am not on about the sub!

I am on about the KICK sound, not the BOOM!

Check it out compared to an 808, you need good speakers/ears to hear the difference!
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests