Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
serox

Re: Is this just an 808? (Macc where are you?)

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:17 pm

deadly habit wrote: heh watch whole thing
been a min since i seen it might not be theirs
as i recall they are using like 10 layers of drum hits for that beat
covers basic enveloping and eq work too
Watched the whole thing. Goes on about cutting frequency's out, which I already do.

It is just a 10 channel drum beat they are going over, nothing new imo.

Not sure what you mean with the enveloping?
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:21 pm

serox wrote:
deadly habit wrote: heh watch whole thing
been a min since i seen it might not be theirs
as i recall they are using like 10 layers of drum hits for that beat
covers basic enveloping and eq work too
Watched the whole thing. Goes on about cutting frequency's out, which I already do.

It is just a 10 channel drum beat they are going over, nothing new imo.

Not sure what you mean with the enveloping?
k say with what you want to do layering kicks to sound like one
use the adsr envelope to get the punch from the 909 and the oomph from 808
then gain structure them so it sounds like one hit

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

folks are making this WAAY too complicated.

pretty sure Loe is software-only, so toss the hardware compressor theory out the window unless yr talking mastering.

sounds like parallel comp to me-- set up a compressor w/ very slow attack, pretty fast release, and a high ratio, like 8:1 or so. bring the threhold down until it turns the 808 into a huge, knocking thunk. dial that into the orig sound.

don't hear much saturation, and it doesn't sound super-eq'd.

there's a ton of mastering compression on there as well-- you should ask J transition about this one in particlar, since it came out on Ringo i'd imagine he had a lot to do with it ;) he's on the forum.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma
Low Motion Records, Soul Motive, TKG, Daly City, Mercury UK

serox

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:25 pm

deadly habit wrote: k say with what you want to do layering kicks to sound like one
use the adsr envelope to get the punch from the 909 and the oomph from 808
then gain structure them so it sounds like one hit
I never boost frequency's so dont know much about it. But wouldn't you just boost the thumping point on the 808? doing that makes me think it will just be fake and sound weak.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Sharmaji wrote:folks are making this WAAY too complicated.

pretty sure Loe is software-only, so toss the hardware compressor theory out the window unless yr talking mastering.

sounds like parallel comp to me-- set up a compressor w/ very slow attack, pretty fast release, and a high ratio, like 8:1 or so. bring the threhold down until it turns the 808 into a huge, knocking thunk. dial that into the orig sound.

there's a ton of mastering compression on there as well-- you should ask J transition about this one in particlar, since it came out on Ringo i'd imagine he had a lot to do with it ;) he's on the forum.
thank you :lol:
way too hungover trying to explain this

serox

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Agreed. I recon it is easy to do when you know how:)

Not sure how to setup the NY style comp in FL, I do in Reason tho.

Will find him now! :)

How can you tell there is mastering comp? :oops:

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm

serox wrote:

Agreed. I recon it is easy to do when you know how:)

Not sure how to setup the NY style comp in FL, I do in Reason tho.

Will find him now! :)

How can you tell there is mastering comp? :oops:
hardware has a certain sound for trained ears heh
plus gonna be 2 completely diff uses and settings which becomes obvious after awhile when working on peeps tunes
Last edited by deadly_habit on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serox

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm

cant find user "J transition"

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:33 pm

serox wrote:cant find user "J transition"
gah forgot his user name since he rarely posts
think it's transitionstudios or jaytransition or jason@transition or something
google aint helping

jsills

Post by jsills » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Sharmaji wrote: pretty sure Loe is software-only, so toss the hardware compressor theory out the window unless yr talking mastering.
I was.

serox

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:39 pm

I was playing around with compressions with the 808 loads and it only squashed the sound or made it bigger or more subby. It does not give the thump to it at all. So I dont see how having two of them, 1 compressed and one dry will change this?

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:40 pm

settings? screenshots an' ting.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma

jsills

Post by jsills » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm

^^ someone correct me if im wrong but the compressor should be on a bus and the quick release time means the compressor is only effecting the very front of the kik, or the punch part you are looking to enhance

serox

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Sharmaji wrote:settings? screenshots an' ting.
at work now mate but will give it ago as soon as I get home!

thanks.

serox

Post by serox » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:03 pm

dom

Post by dom » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:18 pm

I should imagine he just layered some subs under the original track he sampled

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 pm

jsills wrote:^^ someone correct me if im wrong but the compressor should be on a bus and the quick release time means the compressor is only effecting the very front of the kik, or the punch part you are looking to enhance
depends on the material going thru the compressor-- if we're talking 808s, you'd want a fast enough release that it stops compressing after the main attack of the sound, but not so fast that it distorts.. and not so slow that it's smooth compression. we're looking for smack here.

the nice thing about parallel compression is that you can really exaggerate the compression, get pumping and breathing which would never be acceptable as the only final outcome-- and then dial that in, so that it become a part of the sound-- but not the whole sound.

TBH there's plenty of compressor plugs out there these days that have wet/dry balances so that you can do parallel comp with just one plug-- no need to set up extra busses, pre-fader sends and all that jazz. Logic's internal plug has a 'mix' function, as does vintagewarmer, as does my ever-favorite stillwell audio Rocket.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma

djake

Post by djake » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:15 am

load up a 808 kick into a sampler, use the pitch envelope to edit the decay of the pitch, a short decay will give a tumbing sound at the beggining of the 808, i set the evelope amount at 1 octave up, compress and eq if you want after that.

maybe anyway, i had a little play around...sounds similar.

serox

Post by serox » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:02 am

Sharmaji wrote:
jsills wrote:^^ someone correct me if im wrong but the compressor should be on a bus and the quick release time means the compressor is only effecting the very front of the kik, or the punch part you are looking to enhance
depends on the material going thru the compressor-- if we're talking 808s, you'd want a fast enough release that it stops compressing after the main attack of the sound, but not so fast that it distorts.. and not so slow that it's smooth compression. we're looking for smack here.

the nice thing about parallel compression is that you can really exaggerate the compression, get pumping and breathing which would never be acceptable as the only final outcome-- and then dial that in, so that it become a part of the sound-- but not the whole sound.

TBH there's plenty of compressor plugs out there these days that have wet/dry balances so that you can do parallel comp with just one plug-- no need to set up extra busses, pre-fader sends and all that jazz. Logic's internal plug has a 'mix' function, as does vintagewarmer, as does my ever-favorite stillwell audio Rocket.
I was trying to do this but it was not giving the punch at all:) i have been playing with the compressor for ages and it doesnt seem to do the same thing to the sound. It is very possible I dont know how to do it right tho:)

serox

Post by serox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 am

I must be setting up things wrong in FL with all this becuase it is doing nothing to the sound apart from making it louder or quieter!

It is not giving it more punch at all:( :u: