My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
User avatar
baseband
Posts: 861
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: DC

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by baseband » Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 am

i've loved cubase to bits since C5 but i would never recommend it to anyone else. up until the 7.04 patch, offline processing audio with a tail would yardsale the whole program. even after the latest 7.04 patch i get weird bugs here and there.

at this point ive invested so much time and cash into cubase and cubase-specific hardware, there is no reason to jump ship to anything else. plus it gets shit done

User avatar
Labfive
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by Labfive » Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 am

VirtualMark wrote:
Labfive wrote:Will probably get a bashing for this, but after experimenting with a few, they all definitely don't sound the same. I've been using Ableton for the past 4 years, Seriously for the past 2. I know the interface back to front and my workflow on it is as fast as anything. For me, my mixes all sound the same as the end product. Where as in Logic, i mix exactly the same, even use a lot of the same Plugins, and the end product is much more prestige. I've said this too a few people now. Some people agree, some people disagree.


Agree or disagree?
Agree - it's probably the automation delay compensation problem. Ableton doesn't compensate the automation, so when you have a few plugins that add latency, the automation slips out of time. The more plugins you add, the further the sound goes from how you intended.

Thanks for that mate! Clears up a lot for me.

User avatar
SunkLo
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Canadaland

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by SunkLo » Fri May 24, 2013 3:13 am

VirtualMark wrote:Ableton doesn't compensate the automation, so when you have a few plugins that add latency, the automation slips out of time. The more plugins you add, the further the sound goes from how you intended.
Are you serious? Pro Tools used to have no PDC as well :u:
Blaze it -4.20dB
nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.
Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue
If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by futures_untold » Fri May 24, 2013 12:17 pm

From everything I've read in the entire thread, I think this whole thread can simply be summarized as 'Reaper'. :z: :4:

User avatar
SunkLo
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Canadaland

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by SunkLo » Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 pm

:z: :w:
Blaze it -4.20dB
nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.
Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue
If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.

User avatar
SunkLo
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Canadaland

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by SunkLo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Today I learned you can put image backgrounds on items in Reaper, so now I can look at Bar Refaeli and a Fairchild while I work:

Image


Does Ableton have Bar Refaeli and a Fairchild?
No.
No it does not.
Blaze it -4.20dB
nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.
Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue
If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.

p12
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 am

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by p12 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 am

SunkLo wrote:Today I learned you can put image backgrounds on items in Reaper, so now I can look at Bar Refaeli
Does Ableton have Bar Refaeli and a Fairchild?
No.
No it does not.
lmfao

I wonder if thats possible in logic :dunce:
...NO!

User avatar
SunkLo
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Canadaland

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by SunkLo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 am

The answer is in your signature.

Logic has Paris Hilton and a Behringer.
Blaze it -4.20dB
nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.
Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue
If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.

User avatar
GV1
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by GV1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:46 pm

After using Logic for almost 10 years I sold it and bought a copy of Live 9. I'm a Logic hater now :twisted:
Image

User avatar
lloydy
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by lloydy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 pm

GV1 wrote:After using Logic for almost 10 years I sold it and bought a copy of Live 9. I'm a Logic hater now :twisted:
Typical opinion of someone who obviously didn't delve into how powerful logic is then.
10+ year user and used a lot of other daws,would never switch as logic is a powerhouse with the right set of plugs and the right amount of time spent learning.
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

User avatar
GV1
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by GV1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 pm

lloydy wrote:
GV1 wrote:After using Logic for almost 10 years I sold it and bought a copy of Live 9. I'm a Logic hater now :twisted:
Typical opinion of someone who obviously didn't delve into how powerful logic is then.
10+ year user and used a lot of other daws,would never switch as logic is a powerhouse with the right set of plugs and the right amount of time spent learning.
There's things in Abelton I liked that Logic doesn't do. Session view for one for live performance and creative performance. Plus I use an Abelton Push. Try running that in Logic for it's intended purpose. I'm fully aware of how powerful Logic is, but Logic havn't innovated in years ... Abelton are pushing boundaries. Max + Live too. Does Logic have that? Nope (without rewire and a number of headaches). I develop Max patches, so it'd be nice to integrate them straight into my DAW.
Last edited by GV1 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Mason
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by Mason » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 pm

SunkLo wrote:Does Ableton have Bar Refaeli and a Fairchild?
No.
No it does not.
yeh cos ableton aint on no part time wasteman ting it's fo serious man who aint got time for wimmin while resampling hot basslines
Soundcloud
TopManLurka wrote:sycophants gon sycophant.

hutyluty
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: LEEDS
Contact:

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by hutyluty » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 pm

reason only fills half the screen so u can stare at whatever you like while you resample basses. Only half of whatever's there tho but still
[+] Spoiler
Phigure wrote:nothing was ever good

User avatar
lloydy
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by lloydy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 pm

GV1 wrote:
There's things in Abelton I liked that Logic doesn't do. Session view for one for live performance and creative performance. Plus I use an Abelton Push. Try running that in Logic for it's intended purpose. I'm fully aware of how powerful Logic is, but Logic havn't innovated in years ... Abelton are pushing boundaries. Max + Live too. Does Logic have that? Nope (without rewire and a number of headaches). I develop Max patches, so it'd be nice to integrate them straight into my DAW.
So your a logic hater because it doesn't have max and a few other things?I thought a daw was for creating music which logic is very competent at.
Rewire has never really worked in logic even when i was using pro7 it was a pain but again for me it has enough.
Also yeah i agree that apple isn't the best company for quick updates and Logic pretty much bares the brunt of this but pretty sure when x does finally arrive the haters gonna be silenced just like when pro8 was released.
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

User avatar
GV1
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by GV1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:37 pm

lloydy wrote:
GV1 wrote:
There's things in Abelton I liked that Logic doesn't do. Session view for one for live performance and creative performance. Plus I use an Abelton Push. Try running that in Logic for it's intended purpose. I'm fully aware of how powerful Logic is, but Logic havn't innovated in years ... Abelton are pushing boundaries. Max + Live too. Does Logic have that? Nope (without rewire and a number of headaches). I develop Max patches, so it'd be nice to integrate them straight into my DAW.
So your a logic hater because it doesn't have max and a few other things?I thought a door was for creating music which logic is very competent at.
Rewire has never really worked in logic even when i was using pro7 it was a pain but again for me it has enough.
Also yeah i agree that apple isn't the best company for quick updates and Logic pretty much bares the brunt of this but pretty sure when x does finally arrive the haters gonna be silenced just like when pro8 was released.
I was joking about hating Logic bro. Logic is a good DAW I am not denying it. But I can't see Logic doing what Abelton does for EDM. Abelton is developed for EDM producers in mind, where as Logic is developed at the more high end user and has remained a solid DAW from day one. I started using Abelton Lite, and was enjoying the work flow. It was different but I was enjoying it. It was difficult to make the switch, I felt guilty for ditching Logic, but I'm happy that I did because it's brought out a different edge in my music. Which to me is a benefit, for others it may not have this effect.
Image

User avatar
lloydy
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by lloydy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:49 pm

GV1 wrote:
I was joking about hating Logic bro. Logic is a good DAW I am not denying it. But I can't see Logic doing what Abelton does for EDM. Abelton is developed for EDM producers in mind, where as Logic is developed at the more high end user and has remained a solid DAW from day one. I started using Abelton Lite, and was enjoying the work flow. It was different but I was enjoying it. It was difficult to make the switch, I felt guilty for ditching Logic, but I'm happy that I did because it's brought out a different edge in my music. Which to me is a benefit, for others it may not have this effect.
Can't see logic doing what ableton does for edm!!!!Are you serious?
Honestly you say you was a 10 year user but i can't see you using 50% of what logic has to offer.
The daw may change but the moron behind the screen still stays a moron if he can't be arsed to rtfm!
That wasn't a personal dig by the way ;-)
I've used ableton live and i've used Logic,they do the same fucking thing bar some features,you make the music not the daw man just need to work different processes and maybe buy a few third party plugs.
Also never really undesrstood how people struggle with logic's workflow.When in the mood i can put a tune together in a day and workflow is never an issue due to learning key commands and creating my own for my personal workflow.
Honestly don't know a lot about max but isn't reaktor a similar modular based system?Thats what i have read in the past but not sure if its true.
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

User avatar
GV1
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by GV1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

lloydy wrote:
GV1 wrote:
I was joking about hating Logic bro. Logic is a good DAW I am not denying it. But I can't see Logic doing what Abelton does for EDM. Abelton is developed for EDM producers in mind, where as Logic is developed at the more high end user and has remained a solid DAW from day one. I started using Abelton Lite, and was enjoying the work flow. It was different but I was enjoying it. It was difficult to make the switch, I felt guilty for ditching Logic, but I'm happy that I did because it's brought out a different edge in my music. Which to me is a benefit, for others it may not have this effect.
Can't see logic doing what ableton does for edm!!!!Are you serious?
Honestly you say you was a 10 year user but i can't see you using 50% of what logic has to offer.
The daw may change but the moron behind the screen still stays a moron if he can't be arsed to rtfm!
That wasn't a personal dig by the way ;-)
I've used ableton live and i've used Logic,they do the same fucking thing bar some features,you make the music not the daw man just need to work different processes and maybe buy a few third party plugs.
Also never really undesrstood how people struggle with logic's workflow.When in the mood i can put a tune together in a day and workflow is never an issue due to learning key commands and creating my own for my personal workflow.
Honestly don't know a lot about max but isn't reaktor a similar modular based system?Thats what i have read in the past but not sure if its true.
Max and Reaktor are different. Reaktor is limited compared to Max.

As I said before there are a lot of things I like about Abelton that Logic don't have. The main one is that I now use Abelton's Push device and I'm enjoying the workflow. The fact I can use it in a live setting. Using sessions to just jam out and create music spontaneously and creatively in a free flowing fashion. It's difficult to explain until you actually do it. If you've ever used a launchpad with Abelton you'd know a bit about the experience. I enjoy this type of workflow. I'm not much of a pianist, never have been, I play by ear. So for me, even the scales mode on the Push is a big help for me and allows me to jump over that creative block. Didn't stop Jimmy Hendrix before the worms come crawling out of the woodwork.

The workflow appeals to me. Having never used Abelton properly I'd never been exposed to this type of workflow. Had I have been years ago I probably would have made the switch then. The fact the Push does what it does with Abelton is enough for me.
Image

User avatar
lloydy
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by lloydy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Fair do's,its a pointless argument anyway because all daws are capable its the mugs using them that make or break their music.
Not beefing about daws because its a very redundant argument,bit like mac v pc.
Poor workmen blame their tools but i suppose tools that make the job easier are a must in most situations so you have a valid point i suppose.
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

p12
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 am

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by p12 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:32 pm

I sort of miss the fading and slowing up/down in ableton. Also miss the flex mode and the sample editor (wich ableton seems to wanna have externaly?)...
...NO!

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: My DAW is better than yours! (Friendly DAW Wars debate)

Post by futures_untold » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:19 am

As is true in life generally, in the end there is only the Reaper.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests