DSF Q&A Sessions Vol.16 : DJ MADD

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
waldorf2

Re: DSF Q&A Sessions Vol.16 : DJ MADD

Post by waldorf2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 pm

hey one more question. how do you pitch you plugs in cubase - any specific method? thnx

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

waldorf2 wrote:hey one more question. how do you pitch you plugs in cubase - any specific method? thnx
Do you mean pitching samples ? I usually just work with the built in pitch change / bender in cubase , does the job alright

therook

Post by therook » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 am

What's good Mr. Madd! Been reading this whole post and I must say thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and techniques! They really have been helping me out a lot :)

My question to you is this: What music genre do you listen to that influences you the most?
Latest Track:
Soundcloud

Dew

Post by Dew » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 pm

do you write in keys/scales?

how long have you been producing?

cheeeers :)

GRAYSKALE

Post by GRAYSKALE » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Just thought of another one - where do you source your samples from - do you like use sample packs etc or sample from tunes, drum machines, acoustic kits?

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 pm

therook wrote:What's good Mr. Madd! Been reading this whole post and I must say thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and techniques! They really have been helping me out a lot :)

My question to you is this: What music genre do you listen to that influences you the most?
Hiya

I've been listening to older jungle/dnb and hiphop stuff - like the old full cycle bits and danny breaks on the hiphop tip. Also I like the glitch-hop stuff thats been floating around like ediT and Glitch Mob things.
Whenever I feel a bit lost I put on some old DIllinja classics and that puts me back in the loop :)

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 pm

Dew wrote:do you write in keys/scales?

how long have you been producing?

cheeeers :)
I never had any musical training so all the keys and scales thing is a bit new to me, so far I been doing everything by ear but I am starting to look into it more. To be honest I never felt the need to have the knowledge as I managed to work out the tunes without them.

I been producing since I was a kid but the proper eq/master side of things started a couple of years ago maybe 2006

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:35 pm

GRAYSKALE wrote:Just thought of another one - where do you source your samples from - do you like use sample packs etc or sample from tunes, drum machines, acoustic kits?
I get my single hits from sample cds mostly, then I layer those with classic breaks using those big packs that have been floating around.

I like to use sample packs if I feel I can do something creative with those. When I hear a tune and clock the drumsound & bassline smith sample cd sounds that immediately puts me off a bit and makes me stay away from using samples straight in their original form.

Apart from that I sample youtube quite a lot. It might sound dodgy but in my opinion it's one of the easiest and quickest ways of finding small snippets of sounds that probably nobody else used so far and the quality debate is not worth it, you can clean it up and put a couple of effects on it and it will sound acceptable.

I'm also always searching for drum machine packs, even the same ones can sound different depending on how they've been recorded what gear was used etc.

Once I get my proper setup I will start to record sounds myself but at the moment I don't have the mics and soundcards to do it so I can either ask someone do help out or just go with the samples.

In The Shadows

Post by In The Shadows » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:09 am

just wanted to chirp in before the Q&A ends to say a big thanks to the Madd for coming in here and sharing the mechainics of his music with us, n1 brother :Q:

Dystinkt

Post by Dystinkt » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Props to you man your tunes are massive!
Anyways, my question is how do you keep your tracks feeling fresh, for me i struggle to variate my tracks and keep it sounding right and not aimless

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Just want to big up Madd for taking time out to answer our questions :4:

Peter has agreed the thread will be rolling and will answer whenever he can.

Wondered where your bookings have taken you recently?

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Cheeky wrote:Props to you man your tunes are massive!
Anyways, my question is how do you keep your tracks feeling fresh, for me i struggle to variate my tracks and keep it sounding right and not aimless
ez man

Not quite sure really, I think you just need to get to a point where you don't care if some people think your tracks are aimless or need more work.
I messed up quite a few tunes in the beginning due to people telling me it needs this and that and its boring etc. but now I treat these critics a bit more carefully..
You have to be comfortable with your tunes first and surely you can tell if you like your own tunes or not, after that you can listen to others for feedback but even
if you get some negative ones I wouldn't jump back on the tune to re-work it. :)
Apart from that I guess its always useful to listen to the producers you rate the most and try to figure out why those tunes don't sound aimless but thats down to
personal taste.

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:37 pm

pdomino wrote:Just want to big up Madd for taking time out to answer our questions :4:

No problem mate, sorry if its a bit longer sometimes to reply but I'm either on the road or deep in cubase :)

This year the biggest booking was Japan, spent 5 days there with a great crew and the gig was a very good turnout aswell (was me & Shackleton)
I'm going to Moscow next weekend, interested how that will turn out. Also played FWD last week which really means a lot to me.

A-List

Post by A-List » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 pm

whats your AIM? ;)

nah, big up on this Q&A.. learnt quite afew things.. its always good to see how other producers work!
Soundcloud
Forthcoming Red Volume

Soundcloud

madd
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by madd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:18 am

A-List wrote:whats your AIM? ;)

nah, big up on this Q&A.. learnt quite afew things.. its always good to see how other producers work!
i'm not on aim much anymore to be honest, loads of people hit me up and unfortunately i can't send tunes to everybody who asks and explaining that can be a bit too much
if anybody wants to send me tunes fire some links to this address dirtymadd_at_gmail_dot_com - i check this almost every day and i'll try to get back to everyone as soon as possible:)

Kes-Es

Post by Kes-Es » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

Just saying big ups for doing this, was late to the punch but I know everyone appreciates it, look forward to hearing whatever you put out next man :D.
A conglomeration of my old tearout tunes I like, and my new ones I don't
Soundcloud

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:46 pm

madd wrote:
pdomino wrote:Just want to big up Madd for taking time out to answer our questions :4:

No problem mate, sorry if its a bit longer sometimes to reply but I'm either on the road or deep in cubase :)

This year the biggest booking was Japan, spent 5 days there with a great crew and the gig was a very good turnout aswell (was me & Shackleton)
I'm going to Moscow next weekend, interested how that will turn out. Also played FWD last week which really means a lot to me.
Nah you were on point as always P, big thanks !
I planned on making FWD but am in Valencia this Thursday so had to save money.

Dew

Post by Dew » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 pm

what exact plugins do you use?

just curious :)

Lurka
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by Lurka » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 pm

how do you get that real "alien abduction" vibe to your tunes madd?

hutyluty

Post by hutyluty » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:32 am

This is one of my fave tracks pretty much ever, what I want to know is how do you go about making a remix, just generally really?
[+] Spoiler
Phigure wrote:nothing was ever good