Musical Telephone - COMPLETE!

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
hasezwei

Re: Musical Chinese Whispers - COMPLETE!

Post by hasezwei » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:33 pm

guys this is awesome! how about this:
grooki finishes his clip into a full song, then green plan listens to that and tries to turn his one into a full one in a way similar to how grooki did it etc etc.
then you'd end up with material for a full EP of variations on a theme, ain't that awesome?

(i'm only suggesting this because i want to have such an ep 8) )

Ldizzy

Post by Ldizzy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:41 pm

HAHAHA

i felt like that each time a minute went by

pure excitement...

ive liked a lot of those beats,

however far above all, grooki's one was my favourite.

not that he may have had more time to do it ( i dunnow if he himself went by the 48 h rule)... or that hes a well rounded beathead... (i tried to take that in consideration)

i just think his beat had a ''purpose''... it was not a mere collection of sounds hittin together.. it was a song...

that takes us back to the original comment.. (basic A's i guess)...

get ur influences in ur genre, but elsewhere too, and the biggest influence on ur music should be each sound preceding the next sound u put.. (if that makes any sense)

:z: praise this forum that was a great thread :D
Sharmaji wrote:2011: the year of the calloused-from-overuse facepalm

FSTZ

Post by FSTZ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:53 pm

congrats for doing this and finishing it!

I have seen so many "mass collabs" fail on this site

DJ Crackle

Post by DJ Crackle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:46 pm

was mine that bad?
:D

narcissus

Post by narcissus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:36 pm

llaame, i really wanted to have a go at this :(

Ldizzy

Post by Ldizzy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm

DJ Crackle wrote:was mine that bad?
ahahahahhaha where were you!?!?
Sharmaji wrote:2011: the year of the calloused-from-overuse facepalm

DJ Crackle

Post by DJ Crackle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Ldizzy wrote:
that's my question too. lol. grayskale went before me. when i was done, i sent it to hakka & grooki. not sure what happened.

grooki

Re: Musical Chinese Whispers

Post by grooki » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:03 am

3za wrote:That was a pretty funny how it changed.
grooki wrote: Grooki
Green Plan
3za
Promise One
Erebus
Bugsky
btw you got me an, Promise one mixed up on the tl.

peace.
fixed!

grooki

Post by grooki » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 am

DJ Crackle wrote:
Ldizzy wrote:
that's my question too. lol. grayskale went before me. when i was done, i sent it to hakka & grooki. not sure what happened.
Sh*t! I don't know what happened there! It wasn't because you're track was no good/totally excellent, that wasn't the point. I'll go and sort that out right now. Sorry!

DJ Crackle

Post by DJ Crackle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:14 am

grooki wrote:
DJ Crackle wrote:
Ldizzy wrote:
Sh*t! I don't know what happened there! It wasn't because you're track was no good/totally excellent, that wasn't the point. I'll go and sort that out right now. Sorry!
hahah i was just fucking with ya man, i figured it was just some mix up. no worries :4:

Erebus-7

Post by Erebus-7 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:39 am

anyone up for starting another one of these, if so i'll start one up over the weekend, would be awesome to have it over a longer peroid of time with more people involved !

grooki

Post by grooki » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:53 am

My take on it:

I just pulled 55 seconds of a track that I had taken some time making but had never finished, so I was worried that it was going to be too complicated for the game. As it turned out I think that having a more complex track was good idea, since it seemed that at each copying, some of the complexity of the track was lost, other elements got "locked in", other elements were added. If the track had been simpler to begin with we wouldn't have been able to see those changes.

For instance the chord-stabs in my part slowly became a reggae-style skank on the off beat, which stuck in people's minds much more easily than the more irregularly timed chords of my part. So once the reggae style skank was in, it was in. I would guess that if we had gone on for even 10 more incarnations that skank would have stayed.

It was really interesting to see how, in 3ZAs version he had bass drums and chords at first and added the melody only after a few bars - in the next version (Promise One's) the bass was also left out, and so an introduction was developing! I would guess that this "drop" which developed would not go away if we continued the experiment - since it is so conventional in electronic music people would remember as a feature of the track (like the riser)

Other conventions in dubstep (and electronic music) remained strong too - the "riser" in the first track managed to stay for three tracks even though it was a relatively small component of the original.

The complexity of the melody went down until it was relatively simple three note melody

The half step drums stayed half-step, but the complexity of the kick pattern went down until it was just a kick on the one and that was all. Similarly the hihats became straight on the beat without much variation.

Overall it looks as though had a quite a bit of variation for the first three incarnations and eventually settled down to:
The simple kick 1 snare 3 drum pattern, with simple hihats.
A reggae style skank, with a simple melody that followed the skank.
The bass also followed the chords and melody

We should do it again sometime!

grooki

Post by grooki » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:53 am

Erebus-7 wrote:anyone up for starting another one of these, if so i'll start one up over the weekend, would be awesome to have it over a longer peroid of time with more people involved !
for sure!

bugsky

Post by bugsky » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:11 am

I would definitely be up for doing another. Was really crazy hearing the tunes one after another, slowly 'devolving' - as each part simplified. I must admit, when I first heard Grooki's version for the first time I was like :o Couldn't believe how different it was to my final incarnation.

A really good project. Well done chaps :W:
"You either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain"
Soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/bugsky

DJ Crackle

Post by DJ Crackle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:53 am

the original was pretty fucking banging.
that was super interesting to listen to

Erebus-7

Re: Musical Telephone - COMPLETE!

Post by Erebus-7 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 am

I'll get working on one over the next few days aha, i'll try make it an interesting track and see which parts get picked out,

monthly musical whispers for sure haha :z:

grooki

Post by grooki » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:04 am

Erebus-7 wrote:I'll get working on one over the next few days aha, i'll try make it an interesting track and see which parts get picked out,

monthly musical whispers for sure haha :z:
Great! If I'm finished with my exams I'll definitely be in on that :)

green plan

Post by green plan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 am

Just got back into internet world and had a proper listen to this. Grooki's was definitely the most complex tune. The lead melody was so nice. For my part I could only really remember the pulsating bass, sustained lead and chords, and the 16 bar rise into a slightly different lead when trying to recreate it. When it got to 3za's one the pulsate became more of wobble in the subs, and the chords became the lead almost for me, driving the song. Was interesting how an intro got added in PromiseOne's tune, and the chords got dropped. Erebus used the intro too, and the melody actually stayed fairly similar to both the tunes before it. For Bugsky the riser after 16 was fully gone, and again the belly melody was focus. So in these last few the complexity had gone down enough that it could be more easily recreated perhaps. Just a half step with sub and melody. Or maybe they're better at recreating tunes.

Found the whole thing really interesting, strange to see what people really focused on and then brought out in their tunes. For me almost the focus was the bass driving the song. When I listened to Grooki's again after finishing my version, I realised that the lead was more important really, and I didn't spend much time on recreating the sound which I should have.

I'm definitely done for another one of these or any different permutations of it.

grooki

Post by grooki » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:29 am

it would be good if we did a couple more at some point to see any trends that happen, I suspect as you said Green Plan the complexity goes down to a certain point where it's easy to recreate, and it probably won't get simpler from that point onwards

green plan

Post by green plan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:33 am

grooki wrote:it would be good if we did a couple more at some point to see any trends that happen, I suspect as you said Green Plan the complexity goes down to a certain point where it's easy to recreate, and it probably won't get simpler from that point onwards
Yeah for that reason be good to keep it to 6 or 7 each time I think. Also I'm sure experience and time have an impact on how true the imitation is.