Funtcase - Computer Music Masterclass

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Echoi

Re: Funtcase - Computer Music Masterclass

Post by Echoi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Trainrek wrote:
Echoi wrote:Funtcase Wizard Sleeve Malstrom tutorial..

Square and sine dropped 2 octaves, run through shaper (set to clip). Automated cut off on one of the comb filters to drop from 26 to 0.

Thats just one of them
Didn't really work out well, never used comb filter before.. however I did make a really cool sound which I will post a preset for in a minute
Well im sure there was more to it than that. I find Computer Music to be somewhat vague at times.

Trichome

Post by Trichome » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Echoi wrote:
Trainrek wrote:

Square and sine dropped 2 octaves, run through shaper (set to clip). Automated cut off on one of the comb filters to drop from 26 to 0.

Thats just one of them
Didn't really work out well, never used comb filter before.. however I did make a really cool sound which I will post a preset for in a minute
Well im sure there was more to it than that. I find Computer Music to be somewhat vague at times.
http://www.mediafire.com/?hs9uz81wbpz1m1l

mind posting the others? I wouldnt mind having a go at it
Soundcloud

When I first knifed man, it felt funny
Next day come, it became funny

Echoi

Post by Echoi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Trainrek wrote:
Echoi wrote:
Trainrek wrote:

Thats just one of them
http://www.mediafire.com/?hs9uz81wbpz1m1l

mind posting the others? I wouldnt mind having a go at it
Yea ok, at first glance when i bought this issue I thought the page with his tuts was for maybe one or 2 basses, it appears though, that for each little picture and snippet of info, thats it and on to thenext one. So theres nine in total, some of them involve resampling, but those were the ones allready from massive, so i wont botherwith those.

Hold tight.

Echoi

Post by Echoi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:27 pm

2 sine oscillators running through the shaper in quant mode with the ammount set to full. Scream distortion unit with the mid automated on the eq setion of distortion unit to open it up.

Hmm, thats about it really tbh, now that ive just read through it i dont think theres any more info i can give you to play around with, like i said, bit vague really.

sixth sense

Post by sixth sense » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 pm

DJ Crackle wrote:
sixth sense wrote:Did you read the actual magazine because most people don't and there is a step by step guide on how to make the bass sounds in wizard sleeve. It's all using Reason but just apply the same technique to any other synth and you should be well on your way.
eh... if i'm not mistaken, the bass sounds he described started with "this was originally a patch by southbound hangars in massive"
so that's not ENTIRELY true
though he does give some tips on how he further processes the sound
You clearly missed my point.

DJ Crackle

Post by DJ Crackle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:28 pm

sixth sense wrote:
DJ Crackle wrote:
sixth sense wrote:Did you read the actual magazine because most people don't and there is a step by step guide on how to make the bass sounds in wizard sleeve. It's all using Reason but just apply the same technique to any other synth and you should be well on your way.
eh... if i'm not mistaken, the bass sounds he described started with "this was originally a patch by southbound hangars in massive"
so that's not ENTIRELY true
though he does give some tips on how he further processes the sound
You clearly missed my point.
Reading it now, I think I did.
Sorry, long night. Jack Beats last night :)

jakewilson

Post by jakewilson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:02 am

VirtualMark wrote:Yeah i have the magazine in front of me. Theres some useful tips there, but i'd like to know how that sound was made in massive. I don't have reason so i can't try out the one done on malstrom, and all the tutorial says is that the other one was done by southbound hangars on massive. A bit more detail would be nice, as i find making the twisted filth sounds the hardest bit.

To 2day - he was talking about eqing reason to get rid of the 'reason sound', cubase doesn't have this problem which is why that particular bit of info is irrelevant. He wasn't on about general eqing.
High Rankin'sm tipped to be doing a computer music special on massive, and also releasing a massive preset pack through loopmasters

JBE

Post by JBE » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:02 am

Wow....this thread has gotten insane.

Whether you love Funtcase, or hate him, I think we can all agree that he is doing something that most of us want to be doing....and that's making money from making music. The fact that he has achieved that level makes people wonder about his general production techniques.

No successfull producer will ever give away all their little tricks that they do. This video did exactly what everyone should have expected it to do, considering every other masterclass video was the same way. You get a general idea of workflow, hardware, software, and a few little looks into a bit of how they go about the style they work. Sure, maybe it wasn't the best masterclass video made, but it wasn't bad either. Personally I've enjoyed watching all the Masterclass videos, just simply because it gives you the chance to just watch a "successful" producer sit down and put in work doing something that I would like to achieve some day.

If you are watching these masterclass videos expecting these producers to sit and down and tell you exactly how they make all their music, then you myswell just stop, cause the frustration of disappointment could potentially make you suicidal. Take them for what they are. A peek into the personal workspace of a music producer. Like them or hate them, you have the choice to watch it or not.

VirtualMark

Post by VirtualMark » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:37 pm

JBE wrote: If you are watching these masterclass videos expecting these producers to sit and down and tell you exactly how they make all their music, then you myswell just stop, cause the frustration of disappointment could potentially make you suicidal. Take them for what they are. A peek into the personal workspace of a music producer. Like them or hate them, you have the choice to watch it or not.
I don't agree with this. I've watched a lot of the masterclass videos now, and to be honest i'm getting diminishing returns as far as learning new stuff goes. A lot of the videos cover the same things over and over.

Nobody expects the producer to show us 'exactly how they make all of their music', but it would be nice for them to show how one track is made in full. Even an older track would be interesting, as long as they go into detail.

narrator

Post by narrator » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:56 pm

It seems alot of producers just like to bang on and use their hands alot trying to have this overly bubbly attitude about it all. in other words it's just a promotional tool for them as they dont want to aid the competition seeing as they probably only sprung out of nowhere in the last year or two themselves.

I hate this whole thing of saying that they dont want to give all their secrets away in the fear of a dozen mimic producers popping up in 3 months time.
To me this just screams "i'm not showing you my secrets because i wont be able to come up with something new myself", this shouldnt be a problem for a confident producer in their position as most of the time its not their signature sound like Noisia or Excision would have but just a sine/saw wave ran through some distortion unit.
it's presumptuous to say that most people wouldn't be able to come up with this type of sound anyways so why not divulge a little insight...
Last edited by narrator on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echoi

Post by Echoi » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:51 pm

VirtualMark wrote:
JBE wrote: If you are watching these masterclass videos expecting these producers to sit and down and tell you exactly how they make all their music, then you myswell just stop, cause the frustration of disappointment could potentially make you suicidal. Take them for what they are. A peek into the personal workspace of a music producer. Like them or hate them, you have the choice to watch it or not.
I don't agree with this. I've watched a lot of the masterclass videos now, and to be honest i'm getting diminishing returns as far as learning new stuff goes. A lot of the videos cover the same things over and over.

Nobody expects the producer to show us 'exactly how they make all of their music', but it would be nice for them to show how one track is made in full. Even an older track would be interesting, as long as they go into detail.
What dont you agree with, seems he made the same point as you, just worded differently.

VirtualMark

Post by VirtualMark » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Echoi wrote:
VirtualMark wrote:

What dont you agree with, seems he made the same point as you, just worded differently.
He seems to be saying not to expect much from them and take them or leave them. I'm saying that as a paying computer music customer i don't expect to see just the same old stuff rehashed everytime, and that it would be good if the producer showed us a few really useful insights into their sound design. As far as the 'masterclass' series go, i believe the name to be misleading. Its more of a tips and tricks series at the moment.

Sub Focus has done a few tutorials, and gone into detail on a few synth patches and its not like his career has suddenly gone down the pan. His tutorials have been the most helpful i've seen so far!

As far as competition goes its not like i'm now in the position to produce stuff thats up to his standard. It just helped me understand massive better.

Echoi

Post by Echoi » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:12 pm

VirtualMark wrote:
Echoi wrote:
VirtualMark wrote:

He seems to be saying not to expect much from them and take them or leave them. I'm saying that as a paying computer music customer i don't expect to see just the same old stuff rehashed everytime, and that it would be good if the producer showed us a few really useful insights into their sound design. As far as the 'masterclass' series go, i believe the name to be misleading. Its more of a tips and tricks series at the moment.

Sub Focus has done a few tutorials, and gone into detail on a few synth patches and its not like his career has suddenly gone down the pan. His tutorials have been the most helpful i've seen so far!

As far as competition goes its not like i'm now in the position to produce stuff thats up to his standard. It just helped me understand massive better.
Yea you're right they should be pushing the boat out to make them more interesting. There are the odd ones that stand out. But i think JBE is saying not to expect much, because they are quite predictable

rhek

Post by rhek » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeah to be fair if your worried that showing two synth patches will enable people to rip your production and meet you on your tune writing capabilities then you gotta question yourself a tad. Plus i doubt most producer at a pro-capable level are going to want to rip you off anyways. I'm not singling out FuntCase i've seen a lot of unhelpful prod diaries plus the Q&A threads on here are more helpful than anything else so don't whinge too much!

I can understand to a certain extent though as a lot of the producers have spent many, many, many hours striving to get theese sounds but still..

Pedro Sánchez

Post by Pedro Sánchez » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:05 pm

I watched it today and it's not the worse masterclass (If you can call them that) Iv'e seen, I''d upload it but its over 2gb and my isp are tearing me a new sitter at the mo with the bandwidth.
Genevieve wrote:It's a universal law that the rich have to exploit the poor. Preferably violently.

sebastien

Post by sebastien » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 am

Big up if ur uploading it
[Stupid Fly // Code of Arms // Filthy Digital // Bassclash // Hype Regiment]

http://www.myspace.com/requake
AIM: Requake0

Pedro Sánchez

Post by Pedro Sánchez » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Right, I have nothing better to do today, so I comp'd it and am upping it as I type, so it will probably take about 4hours going off my shitty upload speed.
Genevieve wrote:It's a universal law that the rich have to exploit the poor. Preferably violently.

narrator

Post by narrator » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Check VSTClub first...

Pedro Sánchez

Post by Pedro Sánchez » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:37 pm

narrator wrote:Check Undrground Pirate BountyClub first...
I did check them of course lol and it didn't have them and chances are they would upload it to an rs link anyway. Be careful, propping warez site don't go down to well with mods.

narrator

Post by narrator » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Pedro Sánchez wrote:
narrator wrote:Check Undrground Pirate BountyClub first...
I did check them of course lol and it didn't have them and chances are they would upload it to an rs link anyway. Be careful, propping warez site don't go down to well with mods.
well it's there...