WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
Dystinkt
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Bradford, UK
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by Dystinkt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 pm

@hutyluty- really nice vibe on your tune mate, the female vocals fit really well, maybe make them sound a bit smoother and not as cut up if you get me, otherwise really nice track pal

@lordbid- some really neat little samples that keep the track interesting like that metallic sound at 1.15/16 bass could be slightly heavier a bit more sub maybe but its brostep which isnt my thing personally because of the weaker subs in it :') nice change of pace after the second drop as well, nice drum beat with a solid groove to it good mixdown overall good tune well done mate

@trike12- nice dark moody atmosphere decent samples fairly well mixed, maybe think about more variation on the drums though, nothing massive maybe just a few subtle changes to keep it sounding fresh

Dystinkt
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Bradford, UK
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by Dystinkt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:34 pm

this is nowhere near finished so the mixdown will be shit but feedback would be appreciated
Soundcloud

User avatar
dj_yeoku
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:44 pm
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by dj_yeoku » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:15 am

KingNoble wrote:@phigure - Clean production. Great drum work. I agree on bringing the kick out a bit more. I like that nasty synth trying to sneak in at the end. :D:

@LordBird - I actually like the vocal sample at the end. You have a great start. I would be interested to hear what you come up with after that vocal. Maybe another hi-hat pattern to bring the drums out a bit more as well as switching up the wobbles is all I can think of at the moment.

Got a track I've been sitting on for a while. Think it's almost done (are they really ever?), so please critique esp on any mixing issues as my speakers are sh!t. Word.

Soundcloud

to be fair i quite enjoyed this tune, love the break at about the 2minute mark, maybe try and air it out a bit, get a few more different sounds in there just to make it a bit more dynamic and less repetitive, also when the snare with the huge RvrB comes in at the start, either, make the sound shorter or take the release down then take it down a bit in the mix. other than that good job!
Yeoku - Chillstep



Website - http://www.myspace.com/yeoku
Email - Yeoku@hotmail.co.uk
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/DJYeoku
Soundcloud - http://soundcloud.com/yeoku
AIM - yeokupersonal

kidstrange
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 am

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by kidstrange » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:09 am

This is a reup of the WIP im working on changed it a little... ideas from here please:)

Soundcloud
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Soundcloud


_____________________________________________________________________________________

Rekah
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:03 am
Location: MCR
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by Rekah » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

@sinisterbeats - really feeling that track, only thing i could think of is adding some sort or melody/extra synth part way through the 1st drop

@chicken - feeling it having got a bad thing to say about it :D

@trike12 - ideas for the tune is really good, it just needs something else going on if you get what i mean

this is the tune i want feedback on

Soundcloud

i know the intro needs some work, like it needs a melody or something catchy in it, same with the main drop but apart from that i need your thoughts

User avatar
Grok
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by Grok » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Cheeky: I actually like this quite a lot. It's like Benga meets baltimore beat. Mix sounds fine but I do not like that vocal sample. A little too loud, too often (in the end) and just sounds like something put on top and not IN the mix. I would also like something more to happen as it gets kind of repetetive as it is now. Add a breakdown and introduce a new major element I think. Could be really cool and also I would like it to go back to the actual dubstep-snare-on-3rd-hit beat as it is in the intro again somewhere.
kidstrange: Really thick wobble synth/bass! I love how it slides and goes around like Mr Oizo. Cool as hell! Not sure on the breakdown, it is nice on it's own (reminds of Age of Love and the like) but the transition to it was a bit sudden and almost sounded like mixing over to a new tune. The drums are a little muddled (understandably when you have a bass like that) and could be mixed better to lift the kick and snare. The parts at 0:56 and 2:00 are really lush sounding, like that! Overall very nice track.
Rekah: Good atmosphere. Nice panning on the percussion and I absolutely love the congas in the end, especially how they are introduced and the fill at the very end. Would really like to hear what happens after it. Great arrangement on the percussions/drums as well. Very deep overall and mix sounds good, all the sounds fit good together although I feel there are some part of the frequency spectrum that needs a boost (lower mid?) to make it sound a little less hollow. I really like the pad used in the intro and how it's sneaking in later in the beat and I think you should develop this even more and bring it out progressively until it has almost taken over the song. Just a thought.

So, here is a repost and haven't done anything with it but really like some more feedback on this one regarding mix etc. :)
Soundcloud

-e-

User avatar
sirminus
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:55 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by sirminus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

@ cheeky - This cut has a great vibe to it, especially to the offbeat bass. I'd beef up the sub and add a little more thump to you kick as well as adjust the levels to your vox... otherwise a nice track.

@ LordNoble - This track is solid.. especially a big fan of the :z: break. Solid vox but not overdone. Great work.

@ KidStrange - I dig this cut, kind of some weird space crunk action. I'd cut down a little of the crash cymbal and possibly bring that synth at the 1:17 mark a little more throughout the track.

@ Rekah - This is a well done track. Levels sound solid. I like the congas at 1:53

here is another WIP.. still trying to wrap my head around proper levels without sounding muddy. Any feedback again would be appreciated =)

Soundcloud
WIP - Feedback would be appreciated
Soundcloud

User avatar
dickman69
Posts: 14517
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by dickman69 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Rekah: Lovely tune, only thing I'd like to hear is a little more emphasis on that clap after the snare.

Cheeky: Vocal sample's a little loud. And as I was listening for some reason I really wanted it to turn into like breakstep, or at least have breaks leading up to the drop... Just an idea :D

Trike 12: 2nd drop is fire

Hutlluty: DL'd :m:

Sirminus: Really nice, only thing I'd say is that the hi hats are a little loud in the intro

Blazinaidan: I think you're right about the synth being a little too loud, other than that :o good tune

LoudFlavor: Wish the whole thing was spaced out like it was before the drop.

United Fruits: Perfect from what I'm hearing

Here's mine, I don't have a sub so from looking at the waveform it might be a little loud, but give it a shot please.
Soundcloud
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

hutyluty
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: LEEDS
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by hutyluty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:18 pm

@rayman612- that is, wow, absolutely amazing, is the sample from a Garbage song? It sounds familiar. The sub is a little high, you're right but other than that absolutely beautiful :D
[+] Spoiler
Phigure wrote:nothing was ever good

User avatar
kayo
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:19 am
Location: Estuceland

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by kayo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:34 pm

hey!

@rayman - great vibe! very good. sounds like live music.
@rekah - very god too. the congas are the highlight. could they be a little bit louder?
@sirminus - nice one. can imagine this in a club.
@Grok - lovely intro. the sub is BIG!

never did this before but today started a tune and would like you to hear it and know what you think about it
Soundcloud

Dystinkt
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Bradford, UK
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by Dystinkt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey everyone my second edit of my earlier track still a work in progress feedback would be great :)
Soundcloud

blazinaidan
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by blazinaidan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:07 am

Sorry for not providing feedback before. Thought I'd get around to it but I've been busy as shit and it just never happened. Luckily I only got one response so I don't feel that bad (by the way rayman, thanks! :D )

@rayman: Ahhhhh, nice track man. Good to see something different among the boards. You record any of these parts yourself? Sub is pretty huge but I wouldn't turn it down to much, maybe just a tad. I think the sub can use a little compression personally but then again, I'm not really any expert as far as technical things like that go. Nice tune!

@kayo: You've never done this before? Well this is a great tune for a first, SHIT! I have to say, it really grabs my attention for the first half but after that it just doesn't seem to develop much more. I think with tunes like these, they really rely on a big variety of samples to work out. That's why the first half was sick, because all the samples were new, but for this kind of tune bringing them back in repeatedly just doesn't seem to work out the best. Some spaced out vocals would do well over this IMO. Great start tho man, big up if it's really your first. I had no clue how to sample or EQ or any of that on my first project.

@Cheeky: Typing while listening and I love that first synth sound! I think the mid-rangey bass sound should really be fatter. It's supposed to carry the song but It's being covered up by that all those reverb pitch ups and downs. Yea, fatter bass and more tasteful placing of the reverb effect thang. Effects like that are much more effective (HA!) when used sparsely and at the right time, as opposed to whenever it may fit. OO! Really like these last 30 seconds. Reminds me of addison groove a tad. Oh yea, the last part of this track is killin, mwhahaha. Dig, dig dig.

@Sirminus: Nice drums! I think the seconds grimey-tone thang should be less sub and bassy and more midrange, so as to be a smoother transition from the other sound, or vice versa.

@Grok: Great chords/arpeggio! Once the bass kicks in I would stay near that chord progression, but maybe change up the voicings or something. OO! Just dropped. Nice. Very nice. I like your take on this kinda stuff. Maybe turn up the snare a bit. It's not too muddy by the way, the snare just needs to come up IMO.


OK, started this one like a week ago or so. Still very much in it's WIP phase but I'm curious to what yall think so far. By the way, I'm gonna be recording the lead line near the end on guitar instead so it'll sound alot better. I'm just using that synth for now.
Soundcloud

User avatar
SubVox
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:33 am

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by SubVox » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 am

rayman612 wrote:Rekah: Lovely tune, only thing I'd like to hear is a little more emphasis on that clap after the snare.

Cheeky: Vocal sample's a little loud. And as I was listening for some reason I really wanted it to turn into like breakstep, or at least have breaks leading up to the drop... Just an idea :D

Trike 12: 2nd drop is fire

Hutlluty: DL'd :m:

Sirminus: Really nice, only thing I'd say is that the hi hats are a little loud in the intro

Blazinaidan: I think you're right about the synth being a little too loud, other than that :o good tune

LoudFlavor: Wish the whole thing was spaced out like it was before the drop.

United Fruits: Perfect from what I'm hearing

Here's mine, I don't have a sub so from looking at the waveform it might be a little loud, but give it a shot please.
Soundcloud
That's fucking beautiful... and I have a sub.










maybe uhh... 320 for my professional opinion? :wink:

User avatar
ogunslinger
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: G Square
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by ogunslinger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 am

Soundcloud
will give feedback to those who give me feedback... so tired of listening to like 5 songs and give insight then!!!! BLAM nothing

blazinaidan
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by blazinaidan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:48 am

@ogunslinger: wow... some super filthy filth. haha, it reminds me of chainsaw calligraphy, just cuz of all the stop-go kinda thang. I'm not super into filthy filthy shit these days so I can't say I liked it tons myself, but it's definitely doing what it's trying to do really well... You know what I mean? I personally think you should keep it flowing for longer at a time, and tone down on all the breakdowns etc. BTW great intro. Oh, and one more thing; Might wanna change up the repeat a little bit. Like keep the same idea just mess around with that midway break (1:40). Might I ask what drum samples you use? Great hats.

User avatar
ogunslinger
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: G Square
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by ogunslinger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:58 am

blazinaidan wrote:@ogunslinger: wow... some super filthy filth. haha, it reminds me of chainsaw calligraphy, just cuz of all the stop-go kinda thang. I'm not super into filthy filthy shit these days so I can't say I liked it tons myself, but it's definitely doing what it's trying to do really well... You know what I mean? I personally think you should keep it flowing for longer at a time, and tone down on all the breakdowns etc. BTW great intro. Oh, and one more thing; Might wanna change up the repeat a little bit. Like keep the same idea just mess around with that midway break (1:40). Might I ask what drum samples you use? Great hats.
Thanks for the feedback man, yea most def gotta change up the second part as it's just a copy/paste to get a rough draft kinda thing done if you know what i mean :D
And I agree I just gotta figure some stuff out and somehow match it in :i: ( basically just make weird noises n what not!)
Hmm all my samples are usually just generic ones from free packs just layered + a little eq boost :D, for this track.. I believe the snare and high hats are from a roland 909... I think? I'll have to check and update the post a lil later when I'm home but I'm pretty sure the kick is something out of the deadmau5 pack + an 808 kick

But yea... I got alot of work on my hands :D hopefully in the end the tune wont end up so bad :D

User avatar
ogunslinger
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: G Square
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by ogunslinger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:58 am

double post... ignore! don't know how that happened :p

User avatar
dickman69
Posts: 14517
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by dickman69 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:59 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys
hutyluty wrote:@rayman612- that is, wow, absolutely amazing, is the sample from a Garbage song? It sounds familiar. The sub is a little high, you're right but other than that absolutely beautiful :D
sample is from Mogwai - R U Still In 2 It?
blazinaidan wrote:You record any of these parts yourself?
High hats are sampled from my trashy drum set in my basement :wink:

also, blazinaidan, I like that new wip, should sound great with the guitar
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

blazinaidan
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by blazinaidan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

ogunslinger wrote:Thanks for the feedback man, yea most def gotta change up the second part as it's just a copy/paste to get a rough draft kinda thing done if you know what i mean :D
And I agree I just gotta figure some stuff out and somehow match it in :i: ( basically just make weird noises n what not!)
Hmm all my samples are usually just generic ones from free packs just layered + a little eq boost :D, for this track.. I believe the snare and high hats are from a roland 909... I think? I'll have to check and update the post a lil later when I'm home but I'm pretty sure the kick is something out of the deadmau5 pack + an 808 kick

But yea... I got alot of work on my hands :D hopefully in the end the tune wont end up so bad :D
Yea I feel you on the early stage copy/paste, guilty as charged... But yea incidentals are exactly what this kinda tune needs for sure. If you ever have a minute a little feedback on mine would make my day. I've gotten total mixed messages on this one and am curious what DSF has to say :D

And rayman, thanks! Just got a drumset into my basement as well actually. One more step closer to a workflow orgasm! God I hate working on a lone mac...

User avatar
ogunslinger
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: G Square
Contact:

Re: WORKS-IN-PROGRESS for NOVEMBER, 2010

Post by ogunslinger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:16 am

blazinaidan wrote:
ogunslinger wrote:Thanks for the feedback man, yea most def gotta change up the second part as it's just a copy/paste to get a rough draft kinda thing done if you know what i mean :D
And I agree I just gotta figure some stuff out and somehow match it in :i: ( basically just make weird noises n what not!)
Hmm all my samples are usually just generic ones from free packs just layered + a little eq boost :D, for this track.. I believe the snare and high hats are from a roland 909... I think? I'll have to check and update the post a lil later when I'm home but I'm pretty sure the kick is something out of the deadmau5 pack + an 808 kick

But yea... I got alot of work on my hands :D hopefully in the end the tune wont end up so bad :D
Yea I feel you on the early stage copy/paste, guilty as charged... But yea incidentals are exactly what this kinda tune needs for sure. If you ever have a minute a little feedback on mine would make my day. I've gotten total mixed messages on this one and am curious what DSF has to say :D

And rayman, thanks! Just got a drumset into my basement as well actually. One more step closer to a workflow orgasm! God I hate working on a lone mac...
Great start man, only thing I can really pinpoint out would be to maybe just lower the oooooah's in the intro just a tad bit, or make it kinda progressive with volume automation
and yea dude that would be sick with a guitar as the lead... when your done with that PM the soundcloud link, most def wanna hear it! good job dog!

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests