Dubstep Melodies - making them catchy?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
amphibian

Dubstep Melodies - making them catchy?

Post by amphibian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:47 am

I've been studying this for a little while now, due to the fact that my own melodies seem to kinda carry themselves away, to the point where it definitely loses a dubstep vibe, and moves more into an almost-trance style track. This is annoying me (lol). I love the simplistic melodies of dubstep, especially well written note and chord-progressions, and I've noticed that there is usually no more than 3-5 notes that are put on repeat and layered with other short note progressions in the basses, sub.etc.

What are some other tips/ideas for this area of dubstep?

I need to get away from my melody-heavy production. It seems to lose it's dancy feel if there is too much melody =\
Latest Track
Digital Pilgrimz - Shogun (pHybian remix) - FORTHCOMING FUTURE FOLLOWERS
Soundcloud

Deep. Dark.

paravrais

Re: Dubstep Melodies - making them catchy?

Post by paravrais » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:06 am

I totally feel your pain dude. In the end I just gave up and figured I may as well make overcomplicated melodic music instead.

lightshapers

Post by lightshapers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:10 am

drones (listen to loads of old metalheadz dnb, or watch bladerunner or listen to any decent sci fi soundtrack for ideas -q- ) add a bunch of incidental sounds with lots of movement for extra atmosphere.

either that or go for the fucked up synthy bleepy style, something like sewer grime by barbarix. heavy tuna but its all bleeps and beats on the intro

nothing wrong with melodic tunes anyway
Last edited by lightshapers on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grime Syndicate

Post by Grime Syndicate » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 am

Nothing wrong with melodic, true. But perhaps, try complicating the rhythm, while simplifying the chord progression/structure.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud
nowaysj wrote:Little known fact, your penis grows a millimeter for every 10 people that follow you on soundcloud.

3za

Post by 3za » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 am

Just get stoned, and press random buttons
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

kaiori breathe

Post by kaiori breathe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 am

amphibian wrote:I've been studying this for a little while now, due to the fact that my own melodies seem to kinda carry themselves away, to the point where it definitely loses a dubstep vibe, and moves more into an almost-trance style track. This is annoying me (lol). I love the simplistic melodies of dubstep, especially well written note and chord-progressions, and I've noticed that there is usually no more than 3-5 notes that are put on repeat and layered with other short note progressions in the basses, sub.etc.

I need to get away from my melody-heavy production. It seems to lose it's dancy feel if there is too much melody =\
To be honest, that track in your sig is fantastic and I think it would be a real shame if you were to simplify/minimalize your work. I love the melodies in it, they're all very catchy. I checked your soundcloud to see if it was just a one off lucked out piece but it's not, the melody lines in the rest of your work are equally great. They're not as simple what you hear in a lot of dubstep but that really is to their credit I feel. I really like your style as it is.

That said I know what it's like when you feel like you're not making the music you really want to, even when people are praising it.

Perhaps try writing a melody line as you normally would, but when it's finished, hone in on what the most important notes within it are and remove the less necessary notes that act only as stepping stones to the ones that matter. For instance I was listening to 'For Her' and there were a lot of notes in that piece that could be removed if you wanted to (not saying you should revisit that piece, just using it as an example)

Something Else seems to be more melodically simplistic than your other work, still great, when it drops at 2.17 there are little 2 note sequences you repeat a lot, you could have simplified it even more by not repeating them but rather using a delay instead, or just lacing it with reverb and letting it tail out.

I dunno if any of that helps, something to try at least maybe.

I've no idea why I haven't been following your work more closely...

RAVE

Post by RAVE » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:28 am

I was struggling with that and still do. but as kaiori says using delays can fatten out a few sporadic notes. I picked that up off subscape as he uses lots of simple melodies and adds delay to go over the top of a simple chord progression in the bass part.
Soundcloud ...unfinished

Erebus-7

Post by Erebus-7 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:50 am

why try and force yourself away from something you're naturally doing ? not trying to be arsey, just a genuine question, if you're making good music and it works, why the need to change ?

amphibian

Post by amphibian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:08 am

kaiori breathe wrote:
amphibian wrote:I've been studying this for a little while now, due to the fact that my own melodies seem to kinda carry themselves away, to the point where it definitely loses a dubstep vibe, and moves more into an almost-trance style track. This is annoying me (lol). I love the simplistic melodies of dubstep, especially well written note and chord-progressions, and I've noticed that there is usually no more than 3-5 notes that are put on repeat and layered with other short note progressions in the basses, sub.etc.

To be honest, that track in your sig is fantastic and I think it would be a real shame if you were to simplify/minimalize your work. I love the melodies in it, they're all very catchy. I checked your soundcloud to see if it was just a one off lucked out piece but it's not, the melody lines in the rest of your work are equally great. They're not as simple what you hear in a lot of dubstep but that really is to their credit I feel. I really like your style as it is.

That said I know what it's like when you feel like you're not making the music you really want to, even when people are praising it.

Perhaps try writing a melody line as you normally would, but when it's finished, hone in on what the most important notes within it are and remove the less necessary notes that act only as stepping stones to the ones that matter. For instance I was listening to 'For Her' and there were a lot of notes in that piece that could be removed if you wanted to (not saying you should revisit that piece, just using it as an example)

Something Else seems to be more melodically simplistic than your other work, still great, when it drops at 2.17 there are little 2 note sequences you repeat a lot, you could have simplified it even more by not repeating them but rather using a delay instead, or just lacing it with reverb and letting it tail out.

I dunno if any of that helps, something to try at least maybe.

I've no idea why I haven't been following your work more closely...
wow Kaiori - thanks for the praise man! Humbles me knowing you create some awesome stuff :)

I think your advice about writing it, then toning it down might be a good approach.

To those asking - I really like melodic dubstep, but I'm having a hard time balancing it with the heavier side to make it both a catchy tune, but also danceable. Atm I find myself (always) producing lighter stuff as the melody takes over. It's not a bad thing, it's just not what I want to produce. However, I do find it very natural to produce that way.

Erebus - no offense taken man, good Q. I don't think I'm making good music. I think I'm writing decent melodies, but considering that I'm trying to create something heavier, it's really very frustrating. I'm trying to get a good balance of the two so that it's not brostep (even though I like brostep just as much as the next guy), but it's also not so light that it can't be used mid-set type thing.

Thanks for the replies all, just gonna have to keep at it :)
Latest Track
Soundcloud

Deep. Dark.

Basic A

Post by Basic A » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 am

Listen to Ganja White Night for six hours, and then stop, breathe, proceed to listen to midnight request line for 6 more. Get some sleep, and in the morning, listen to every Teebs mix on the internet...

Melody problems solved.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

:::::: Basic A. ::::: [url=hhttp://soundcloud.com/teknicyde]Teknicyde[/url] ::::: [url=hhttp://soundcloud.com/drjinx]Dr. J!nx[/url] :::::
Phantom Hertz - Fentplates - Reboot Records - Cosmology - Applied Mathematics

loldongs

Post by loldongs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:02 am

Basic A wrote:Listen to Ganja White Night for six hours, and then stop, breathe, proceed to listen to midnight request line for 6 more. Get some sleep, and in the morning, listen to every Teebs mix on the internet...

Melody problems solved.
whats some good GWN tunes ?
Shut up bitch, I don't love you anymore.

Grime Syndicate

Post by Grime Syndicate » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 am

Gayfish for starters. also Many Voices. Also, try this

Soundcloud
Soundcloud
nowaysj wrote:Little known fact, your penis grows a millimeter for every 10 people that follow you on soundcloud.

loldongs

Post by loldongs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:25 am

thankyou good sir :D

Grime Syndicate

Post by Grime Syndicate » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:48 am

You're welcome. Also, Amphibian, dude, Your shit is DOOOoooooooope. I get that you're not where you wanna be. But you are SO on the right path. I've told you before in fact. So just work work work all day long son. You have got this.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

loldongs

Post by loldongs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 am

Grime Syndicate wrote:Gayfish for starters. also Many Voices. Also, try this

That. is some of the best Dubstep I have ever heard. :O (Ganja White Night)

And Im going to check our your shit Amphibian seems that everyone here likes it :P
Last edited by loldongs on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grime Syndicate

Post by Grime Syndicate » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:22 am

Oh young padiwan, we could teach you so much.... :D
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

amphibian

Post by amphibian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 am

loldongs wrote:
Grime Syndicate wrote:Gayfish for starters. also Many Voices. Also, try this

That. is some of the best Dubstep I have ever heard. :O (Ganja White Night)

And Im going to check our your shit Amphibian seems that everyone here likes it :P
haha, cheers dude. Don't expect too much though - I'm pretty new at this :6:

Thanks again grime :)
Latest Track
Soundcloud

Deep. Dark.