Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

What would you like to learn about?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby decklyn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:21 am

Hey - seeing as how there are a couple kids sharing some great knowledge (big up deadly habit!), I thought I'd just poll you guys as to what you'd like to get tutorials on.

Deadly habit and I are discussing colluding on producing some tutorials for the dubstep massive as well.

While I dont proclaim to be any expert, I do find that when I try to teach, I learn ALOT, as I'm forced to cover all the angles, so I've been enjoying creatively dealing with different produciton issues. Seeing as how I currently lack time to actually work on tracks, its letting me bank alot of inspiration for later exploration.

Just post here and I'm sure iether myself or deadly habit, or both of us can get to it.
Image
Decklyn Dublog - Rants, Raves and Tutorials - http://www.decklyn.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/decklyn
Mar 18th: Seba Remix
http://soundcloud.com/decklyn/chase-and-status-time-decklyn
User avatar
decklyn
 
Posts:
1551
Joined:
Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:29 am
Location:
Toronto, Canada

Postby daft cunt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:11 am

Well, 1st thank you for offering this. You've been so helpful to me and most probably everybody else here so far.

1st thing that comes to my mind is BASS PROCESSING :twisted:
If memory serves you're a z3ta user too. So, I'd like to know where you stop working on z3ta to go with Kontakt: do you just get the usual 2xdetuned waveforms and then process with the sampler, or do you go more complex and how far?
About Kontakt then, almost every post I read say the same thing: apply effects, resample, repeat and so on. I don't ask for a guide to make great bass sounds without an effort, just some further explanations on the process.
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby smudge » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:15 am

Things I'd like to know:-

What swing quantisation/groove are you lot applying to your tunes?

Where the hell do Search and Destroy get those 94/95 jungle style vocals that float in the background of their tracks?

How Toasty Boy can be such a don?

:)
have you got anything a bit more deep and spacey please...?
User avatar
smudge
 
Posts:
55
Joined:
Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:14 pm

Postby auralassassin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:37 am

decklyn wrote:Hey - seeing as how there are a couple kids sharing some great knowledge (big up deadly habit!), I thought I'd just poll you guys as to what you'd like to get tutorials on.

Deadly habit and I are discussing colluding on producing some tutorials for the dubstep massive as well.

While I dont proclaim to be any expert, I do find that when I try to teach, I learn ALOT, as I'm forced to cover all the angles, so I've been enjoying creatively dealing with different produciton issues. Seeing as how I currently lack time to actually work on tracks, its letting me bank alot of inspiration for later exploration.

Just post here and I'm sure iether myself or deadly habit, or both of us can get to it.



Post a tutorial on mixing records, so some people might actually do it sometime :twisted:
auralassassin
Permanent Vacation
 
Posts:
1284
Joined:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:02 am

Postby sully_shanks » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:35 pm

smudge wrote:Things I'd like to know:-

What swing quantisation/groove are you lot applying to your tunes?

Where the hell do Search and Destroy get those 94/95 jungle style vocals that float in the background of their tracks?

How Toasty Boy can be such a don?

:)


haha good 1
sully_shanks
 
Posts:
573
Joined:
Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Postby deadly_habit » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:59 pm

smudge wrote:Things I'd like to know:-

What swing quantisation/groove are you lot applying to your tunes?

Where the hell do Search and Destroy get those 94/95 jungle style vocals that float in the background of their tracks?

How Toasty Boy can be such a don?

:)

alot of jungle sounding vox are sampled from soundclashes
also do a search on the grid for the dubwise sample thread
deadly_habit
 
Posts:
22980
Joined:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am
Location:
MURRICA

Postby subframe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 pm

swing. I mean, on the one hand I understand it. On the other hand, I end up blindly swinging stuff til I get it right, never quite sure why....
maximum disorder is our equilibrium
User avatar
subframe
 
Posts:
662
Joined:
Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:43 pm
Location:
San Francisco

Postby fubar » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 pm

listen to some count basie or duke ellington
fubar
 
Posts:
415
Joined:
Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:49 pm
Location:
south-west

Postby nospin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:27 pm

layering drum sounds. by all means i get the concept, and get decent results when i attempt it, but i'd like to know specifics of what other people do when they sit down and design drum sounds. maybe you can make a little sample pack and give us a real tutorial on a peice of software that is widely accessible. haha that'd be a lot more work than i'm sure you're looking for, but would be appreciated.
User avatar
nospin
 
Posts:
712
Joined:
Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:34 am
Location:
Seattle, WA

Postby deadly_habit » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:00 pm

NoSpin wrote:layering drum sounds. by all means i get the concept, and get decent results when i attempt it, but i'd like to know specifics of what other people do when they sit down and design drum sounds. maybe you can make a little sample pack and give us a real tutorial on a peice of software that is widely accessible. haha that'd be a lot more work than i'm sure you're looking for, but would be appreciated.

def doable but simple to say eqing and using send channels along with asdr is pretty much the technique
deadly_habit
 
Posts:
22980
Joined:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am
Location:
MURRICA

Postby daft cunt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:08 am

NoSpin wrote:layering drum sounds. by all means i get the concept, and get decent results when i attempt it, but i'd like to know specifics of what other people do when they sit down and design drum sounds. maybe you can make a little sample pack and give us a real tutorial on a peice of software that is widely accessible. haha that'd be a lot more work than i'm sure you're looking for, but would be appreciated.

I was just listening to Elemental's Soul Fire (this guy totally rocks the ruff area). At the end there's a long sequence with only the drums, you can learn so much about the process just by listening carefully to it. If you don't have the track, find it. Sound is very clear and the fact that there's absolutely nothing but the drums makes the understanding real easy.
Made me realize I could use a tut for good sounding hats. Possibly snares too.
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby juffajo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Daft tnuc wrote:Well, 1st thank you for offering this. You've been so helpful to me and most probably everybody else here so far.

1st thing that comes to my mind is BASS PROCESSING :twisted:
If memory serves you're a z3ta user too. So, I'd like to know where you stop working on z3ta to go with Kontakt: do you just get the usual 2xdetuned waveforms and then process with the sampler, or do you go more complex and how far?
About Kontakt then, almost every post I read say the same thing: apply effects, resample, repeat and so on. I don't ask for a guide to make great bass sounds without an effort, just some further explanations on the process.


yep yep, thats exactly what i need to know too, at the moment i don't do any resamplin, don't fully understand why it's neccessary...
juffajo
 
Posts:
8
Joined:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby decklyn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 pm

juffajo wrote:
Daft tnuc wrote:Well, 1st thank you for offering this. You've been so helpful to me and most probably everybody else here so far.

1st thing that comes to my mind is BASS PROCESSING :twisted:
If memory serves you're a z3ta user too. So, I'd like to know where you stop working on z3ta to go with Kontakt: do you just get the usual 2xdetuned waveforms and then process with the sampler, or do you go more complex and how far?
About Kontakt then, almost every post I read say the same thing: apply effects, resample, repeat and so on. I don't ask for a guide to make great bass sounds without an effort, just some further explanations on the process.


yep yep, thats exactly what i need to know too, at the moment i don't do any resamplin, don't fully understand why it's neccessary...


Cool alright. Writing my last couple exams this week, then I've got a couple things lined up. I've got a little tutorial on the new york trick and parallel compression started, and I'll do something on a general process for bass creation in kontakt. Make sure you check out deadly habit's kontakt wobble tutorial! It's really good! Wish I found it a year ago.
Image
Decklyn Dublog - Rants, Raves and Tutorials - http://www.decklyn.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/decklyn
Mar 18th: Seba Remix
http://soundcloud.com/decklyn/chase-and-status-time-decklyn
User avatar
decklyn
 
Posts:
1551
Joined:
Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:29 am
Location:
Toronto, Canada

Postby blk plague » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:12 pm

sampling/remixing.
I AM NOT OK.
blk plague
 
Posts:
896
Joined:
Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:44 am
Location:
new york

Postby deadly_habit » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:54 pm

BLK PLAGUE wrote:sampling/remixing.

what specifically?
deadly_habit
 
Posts:
22980
Joined:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am
Location:
MURRICA

Postby blk plague » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:13 am

theres a track on the first kosheen album that id like to make into a dub. how do i do this? the best ive come up with is chopping the samples i need(audacity) and loading them into soundtrack loop utility(mac) but still its hard to get all the notes properly quantised or to even have the loop played in 1,2 or 4 bars. for instance, how was skream able to remake "who dub" or zinc flipping midnight request into 180bpm madness? if this was an mpc, id be giving you tips but im lost on the software aspect.
I AM NOT OK.
blk plague
 
Posts:
896
Joined:
Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:44 am
Location:
new york

Postby mushug » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:36 am

BLK PLAGUE wrote:theres a track on the first kosheen album that id like to make into a dub. how do i do this? the best ive come up with is chopping the samples i need(audacity) and loading them into soundtrack loop utility(mac) but still its hard to get all the notes properly quantised or to even have the loop played in 1,2 or 4 bars. for instance, how was skream able to remake "who dub" or zinc flipping midnight request into 180bpm madness? if this was an mpc, id be giving you tips but im lost on the software aspect.


everyone has his technique, but i mostly select and cut the sequence i want in a sound editor (software like sound forge or wavelab)... then apply some time stretching on it (to the tempo i want in the remix) if this is done properly it will fit on bar of the sequencer.
after these steps i also like to cut the sequence in shorter clips so I can play around more (recycle is great for this cutting task). this last step is also pretty useful if you're sampling live played sequences that aren't really 100% in tempo, with that smaller clips you can move them back or forward so they can match perfectly with your project.

there are lots of ways of doing things, i did a tune that had a guitar sampled sequence that didn't fit to the bar but with some delay+reverb sorted it out, it also depends on the track you're working and the effect you want...
hope this helps in some way.
User avatar
mushug
 
Posts:
489
Joined:
Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:45 am
Location:
lisbon

Postby deadly_habit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:47 am

BLK PLAGUE wrote:theres a track on the first kosheen album that id like to make into a dub. how do i do this? the best ive come up with is chopping the samples i need(audacity) and loading them into soundtrack loop utility(mac) but still its hard to get all the notes properly quantised or to even have the loop played in 1,2 or 4 bars. for instance, how was skream able to remake "who dub" or zinc flipping midnight request into 180bpm madness? if this was an mpc, id be giving you tips but im lost on the software aspect.

which tune?
heh best off hunting acapella down first
christ first time saying
deadly_habit
 
Posts:
22980
Joined:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am
Location:
MURRICA

Postby blk plague » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:42 pm

there are a handful of tunes in that album that could work either vocally or instrumentally.
I AM NOT OK.
blk plague
 
Posts:
896
Joined:
Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:44 am
Location:
new york

Postby blk plague » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:38 pm

mushug,

i think thats whats missing-time stretching. would you know if this is possible with audacityu or should i move on to another bit of software? thanks for your time brov, your chest!
I AM NOT OK.
blk plague
 
Posts:
896
Joined:
Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:44 am
Location:
new york

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Next

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical