The extremely embarrasing basic question thread

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Perej

Re: The extremely embarrasing basic question thread

Post by Perej » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Basic FL question.

By the time I'm done making a tune, I've got about 30 channels used up and I've filled like 12 spots on the mixer.

There must be a simpler way? I'm constantly opening and closing various windows and attempting to make everything fit on the screen!

For instance, say I have a 909 kick, maybe I want to change up the pitch every now and again - the way I do it is to clone the original kick, change the pitch and then start using it.. this is long winded as fuck and means I have to create a new channel every time.

Does this make sense? I'm only a few months in but it's starting to bug me.

Anne Droid

Post by Anne Droid » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 pm

can you just make those changes as automations drawn in the arrangement on the original channel?

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Ldizzy wrote:theres glide settings in every synth

read ur synths manual and focus on the portamento or glide part
this, or you can automate the channel's pitch knob.
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 am

The heck is a breakdown? :6:
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

accordionfan

Post by accordionfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 am

jrisreal wrote:The heck is a breakdown? :6:

:6:

3za

Post by 3za » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 am

@2.33

@2.10

@2.21

Few examples of edm breakdowns ;-)
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 am

3za wrote:
@2.33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvbrovEDXKE

@2.10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yHbf7XEXU

@2.21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xYzkObjxc

Few examples of edm breakdowns ;-)
Ooh, I think I got it! Thanks for that :)
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

_v_

Post by _v_ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 am

Does the order you put your fx make a difference to the sound you get?

For example,
if ive got 5 things on my master channel, compressor, eq, limiter, donk, etc...

will I get a different result if say my compressor is in the top/first slot, as opossed to the last/fifth slot?

Hircine

Post by Hircine » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 am

_v_ wrote:Does the order you put your fx make a difference to the sound you get?

For example,

will I get a different result if say my compressor is in the top/first slot, as opossed to the last/fifth slot?
Yes.
DSF's foreign exchange student
Forthcoming Bassweight Recordings:
Soundcloud
Facebook
phaeleh wrote:
bassbum wrote:The pheleleh tune I have never heard before and I did like it but its very simple and I could quickly recreate it.
Yeah I wanna hear it too :P

cmgoodman1226

Post by cmgoodman1226 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 am

_v_ wrote:Does the order you put your fx make a difference to the sound you get?

For example,

Absolutely! Say for instance I had 2 effects on a sound, a lowpass filter and heavy distortion. If I have the distortion first, the lowpass filter will effect the already distorted sound, but if I have the filter first, the distortion will bring out more harmonics and will most likely undue some of the work that the filter did, which may be a sound that you're going for. Obviously the order of my example matters much more than yours does, as distortion units and filters can drastically change the timbre and tonality and harmonics of a sound, where as compressors and limiters are typically more subtle. I don't always have a set order, but I typically put the EQ last in any effects chain, and usually a compressor right before that if it's needed.
new stuff
Soundcloud

_v_

Post by _v_ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:24 am

Thanks for the replys, ive noticed this myself a bit lately and couldnt believe ive never considered it before, I realized they would affect eachother, but thought they just sort of blended into eachother...

so its sort of a first in first served type of situation?

Ill have to go have a think about this... thanks again

btw, I just used compressor & limiter as an example

cmgoodman1226

Post by cmgoodman1226 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 am

_v_ wrote:Thanks for the replys, ive noticed this myself a bit lately and couldnt believe ive never considered it before, I realized they would affect eachother, but thought they just sort of blended into eachother...

so its sort of a first in first served type of situation?

Ill have to go have a think about this... thanks again

btw, I just used compressor & limiter as an example
Yeah. first in first served. Like if I'm using something that can really thin out a sound like a bandpass filter, I'll typically use that early on in the effects chain, so I'll add distortion and other effects to re-thicken in afterwards, so the sound will still retain the movement of the bandpass, but it won't be as drastic. Or if I know I'm going to use a compressor, I'm not going to add a whole bunch of new distortion or movement to the sound, because that might negate the compression I just did.
new stuff
Soundcloud

_v_

Post by _v_ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:57 am

thats really cleared that up thanks a lot.... an eye opener for sure, ill have to open up my DAW and have a good look at the order of fx, and think about how they are affecting eachother...

kejk

Post by kejk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 pm

_v_ wrote:thats really cleared that up thanks a lot.... an eye opener for sure, ill have to open up my DAW and have a good look at the order of fx, and think about how they are affecting eachother...
A real easy way of recognizing the order does affect the sound is just trying reverb > distortion and distortion > reverb.
paravrais wrote:It genuinely was a couple of years before I realised it was pronounced re-noise not ren-wah :i:

Attila

Post by Attila » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm not sure how basic this question is, but whenever I'm putting together drops one of the few problems I have is that all my sounds aren't as tight and cohesive as I think they should be.I know a lot of people say it comes down to compressing and using the right effects, etc... so is it really as easy as putting reverb and a compressor on a couple send tracks and tweaking them? Listening to for example Madeon's Island remix, all the little melodies and sounds just work together so well (technically speaking).

Space Whale

Post by Space Whale » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 pm

When layering basses, what should i use to cut out the unnecessary frequencies? should i chop them off hard with a filter or use an EQ? and also would it be effective to use for instance abletons EQ 8 or a seperate eq plugin

cmgoodman1226

Post by cmgoodman1226 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Attila wrote:I'm not sure how basic this question is, but whenever I'm putting together drops one of the few problems I have is that all my sounds aren't as tight and cohesive as I think they should be.I know a lot of people say it comes down to compressing and using the right effects, etc... so is it really as easy as putting reverb and a compressor on a couple send tracks and tweaking them? Listening to for example Madeon's Island remix, all the little melodies and sounds just work together so well (technically speaking).
There's no magic plugin or effect that can make a sound work. It's all about using different effects for a purpose. I honestly don't compress much of anything unless it really needs it. One of the most important things is EQing imo. If your mix sounds cluttered, it's probably because there's too many sounds occupying the same frequency range. If I have two sounds that I really like but clash a bit when played together, I'll figure out where the most important parts of each sound are frequency wise, and cut other areas as to make room for the most important parts of the other sound. But either way, it's all about using effects for a purpose, not blindly adding effects to a sound hoping that it will just magically make it sound better, because most likely it won't.
new stuff
Soundcloud

stranger_sounds

Post by stranger_sounds » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:15 am

Perej wrote:Basic FL question.

By the time I'm done making a tune, I've got about 30 channels used up and I've filled like 12 spots on the mixer.

There must be a simpler way? I'm constantly opening and closing various windows and attempting to make everything fit on the screen!

For instance, say I have a 909 kick, maybe I want to change up the pitch every now and again - the way I do it is to clone the original kick, change the pitch and then start using it.. this is long winded as fuck and means I have to create a new channel every time.

Does this make sense? I'm only a few months in but it's starting to bug me.
if i wanted to change the pitch of a single drum hit occasionally i'd go to the step sequencer and click on the graph editor in the top right corner, controlling pitch change from there

Perej

Post by Perej » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:33 pm

How do I make just a standard bassline? I don't want any wobble shit on it. I just want a straight forward bassline. I know how to make one in massive with one osc and just lowering the cutoff with a lowpass filter but it sounds pretty shit. What should I be using? When I make it in massive it is so hard to make it sound good in the mix, it just doesn't sit properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmxyL--7 ... re=related

Joy O does the kind of thing I want to do, it's just a bass that sits in the background, if that makes sense, that might not be the best tune to show what I mean however.

Electric_Head

Post by Electric_Head » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Perej wrote:How do I make just a standard bassline? I don't want any wobble shit on it. I just want a straight forward bassline. I know how to make one in massive with one osc and just lowering the cutoff with a lowpass filter but it sounds pretty shit. What should I be using? When I make it in massive it is so hard to make it sound good in the mix, it just doesn't sit properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmxyL--7 ... re=related

Joy O does the kind of thing I want to do, it's just a bass that sits in the background, if that makes sense, that might not be the best tune to show what I mean however.
basic sine, basic saw, basic sqr, etc.

it`s ...... basic
Image ImageImage Image