how to avoid muddy basslines

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
bayda

how to avoid muddy basslines

Post by bayda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:16 pm

i've noticed lately that most of my basses in massive and albino seem to sound muddy and lack the high frequencies that a lot of basslines have to make it sound full. i understood recently that theres only so much you can do in a vst in terms of changing the noise and the rest of the modification has to be done in a sample editor or DAW or something to put the finishing touches on the sound so should i try and add these extra harmonics/highs in Ableton or something? or should I try and get this issue of lacking highs taken care of in the vst? ive had a little success trying both methods but i just want to see what people have to say, thanks!

press

Re: how to avoid muddy basslines

Post by press » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:57 pm

distortion/saturation, raise your lp cuttoff.
Shift./Onset/Requiem/Gamma/Paradise Lost/Sub Pressure/Gradient/WattHZ/2012/Rottun/Kursed/Betamorph
Soundcloud

Airgonaut

Post by Airgonaut » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:07 pm

At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, what about splitting the frequencies and boosting/distorting/saturating the highs so they're more noticeable? That could possibly work.
Fairly new to the producing realm. Only been going about a year and a half.
Soundcloud

Comfi

Post by Comfi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 pm

You could also try frequency splitting, there's a thread around here which explains how to go about it. A bit of distortion on the highs pairs with a small light reverb tends to bring out the his nicely.
Comfi
Super experimental.
Soundcloud
I have a thread here discussing the track, and offering you the chance to remix it, more details in thread! See what you can come up with!

bayda

Post by bayda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:11 pm

thanks everyone! ive tried eqing the highs out but i never thought to distort or saturate the highs, i'll try that

blinx

Post by blinx » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm

I have started to use Ozone 4's Multiband dynamics to help "mold" my basses and shape there sound.
MasterBlinX - Durbin Master
Soundcloud

RandoRando

Post by RandoRando » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Airgonaut wrote:At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, what about splitting the frequencies and boosting/distorting/saturating the highs so they're more noticeable? That could possibly work.
good idea, but you broke rule number 17. Dont boost the Highs, turn down the lows.
Please like my facebook here if you like my tunes!
New Track!! Getter - Fallout (RandoRando Remix)
Soundcloud
"WAR"
Soundcloud

hasezwei

Post by hasezwei » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm

exciter if you're lazy, multiband processing if you're not.

amphibian

Post by amphibian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 am

muddiness happens because you have a lot of emphasis in the mids between 400hz and 600hz. Having a moderate dip there using eq will really clean up the sound.
Latest Track
Digital Pilgrimz - Shogun (pHybian remix) - FORTHCOMING FUTURE FOLLOWERS
Soundcloud

Deep. Dark.

JFK

Post by JFK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:03 am

amphibian wrote:muddiness happens because you have a lot of emphasis in the mids between 400hz and 600hz. Having a moderate dip there using eq will really clean up the sound.
This