Cant get my kick to come thru the mix

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
elyhess

Cant get my kick to come thru the mix

Post by elyhess » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 am

Hey guys working on a tune (to see updated version go to my soundcloud, updated version isnt my signature) and i cant seem to get my kick to come thru the mix when my tune drops, approx 30 seconds in. not really sure what i should do, side chain that shit? but then it kind of makes the drop feel funky, i dont know guys, give me your suggestions!

sketchyderek

Re: Cant get my kick to come thru the mix

Post by sketchyderek » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 am

Side chain, just work at it til it's right. If the release is too slow it'll be too noticeable. I only sidechain my kick to my sub.

And it might also have something to do with the kick you chose...

acrap

Post by acrap » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:56 am

if you're talking about output 1-22 i think the kick is actually cutting through way too much lol

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:57 am

acrap wrote:if you're talking about output 1-22 i think the kick is actually cutting through way too much lol
yeah thats in the first part, but when it gets to about 30 seconds it gets super quiet, ive already fixed the loudness, just havnt uploaded it yet

acrap

Post by acrap » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:01 am

its KIND of quiet from 30-33 seconds then gets audible again man i dont see too much wrong with it i just think you've overthought it

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:04 am

ok, cool, thanks :)

Teknicyde

Post by Teknicyde » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:06 am

At 30 seconds, your hearing the effects of the kick having very little upper end bite, its clashing with that midrange bass.

Lectric

Post by Lectric » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:34 am

EQ a notch for it to sit in. also sidechain.
<keep it heavy>

amphibian

Post by amphibian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:31 am

Only sidechain if you absolutely have to. Shouldn't use it to make elements fit in a tune (imho). Use EQ for that.
Latest Track
Digital Pilgrimz - Shogun (pHybian remix) - FORTHCOMING FUTURE FOLLOWERS
Soundcloud

Deep. Dark.

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:06 am

i cant seem to eq it to where its sounding more present and standing out, im not really sure what to do from here. i guess just mess around with it, what EQ are you guys using?

wub

Post by wub » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:28 am

Parametric EQ 2 (FL Studio stock plugin)

Congojack

Post by Congojack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:36 am

Hi elyhess, first of all if you could maybe upload the track and link it, would be quite handy as i could help you out a bit better in that respects. I am going to expand on what Lectric said. stick a highpass on your wobble have the cutoff at 100 hz with the track playing. Now increase the cutoff untill you start hearing your kick cut through the mix. Also the right compression on the kick is paramount. Try a Ratio of 3:1 to start off with, lower the threshold all the way put the attack to say 1.5 seconds and release at about 150-200ms. Solo the kick and increase the threshold until you feel it is tight and thumping enough. Of course this is just a guideline you will have to play around with the settings in the compressor but this will get you started.

Create a notch cut at about 400hz with a very narrow Q on your kick, this will get rid of the mud and give it a bit more clarity, make sure you have not cut any higher frequencies than that because a kicks life comes from the higher end believe it or not, and do a low cut to between 80-120hz depending on when it starts to lose it's thump. stick the compressor on it, and play the track with the highpass on the wobble at about 140-160hz and see if that helps. Make sure you cut some mud out of the bassline aswell (200-500hz is generally referred to as the muddy area).

These are just guidelines and some things that have helped me understand problem frequencies in the past and learning about not compressing the balls out of everything :) and remember CUTTING eq in another track is better than boosting eq in the 1 you want to give more clarity. I'm sure that there will be other people giving their thoughts and expertise to this so just pick and choose what works for you, good luck :)
Soundcloud

New WIP, Feedback appreciated.

Congojack

Post by Congojack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:46 am

ah apologies i see you have uploaded it. yep cut the mud in the kick and the bass and you should be aight, try out what i said before anyways and you'll be able to train your ears and get the hang of mixing in time!
Soundcloud

Perfecture

Post by Perfecture » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:16 am

Parallel Compression and/or sidechaining can help alot.

Jas0n

Post by Jas0n » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am

Congojack wrote:Hi elyhess, first of all if you could maybe upload the track and link it, would be quite handy as i could help you out a bit better in that respects. I am going to expand on what Lectric said. stick a highpass on your wobble have the cutoff at 100 hz with the track playing. Now increase the cutoff untill you start hearing your kick cut through the mix. Also the right compression on the kick is paramount. Try a Ratio of 3:1 to start off with, lower the threshold all the way put the attack to say 1.5 seconds and release at about 150-200ms. Solo the kick and increase the threshold until you feel it is tight and thumping enough. Of course this is just a guideline you will have to play around with the settings in the compressor but this will get you started.

Create a notch cut at about 400hz with a very narrow Q on your kick, this will get rid of the mud and give it a bit more clarity, make sure you have not cut any higher frequencies than that because a kicks life comes from the higher end believe it or not, and do a low cut to between 80-120hz depending on when it starts to lose it's thump. stick the compressor on it, and play the track with the highpass on the wobble at about 140-160hz and see if that helps. Make sure you cut some mud out of the bassline aswell (200-500hz is generally referred to as the muddy area).

These are just guidelines and some things that have helped me understand problem frequencies in the past and learning about not compressing the balls out of everything :) and remember CUTTING eq in another track is better than boosting eq in the 1 you want to give more clarity. I'm sure that there will be other people giving their thoughts and expertise to this so just pick and choose what works for you, good luck :)
This!

grooki

Post by grooki » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

I have to say I thought the kick from 30s sounded better than the kick from earlier on. I thought that the midrange before 30s had some frequencies that were a bit loud and were drowning out the rest of the track. Those few bars that start at 30s sound more balanced and better mixed on my setup.

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Congojack wrote:Hi elyhess, first of all if you could maybe upload the track and link it, would be quite handy as i could help you out a bit better in that respects. I am going to expand on what Lectric said. stick a highpass on your wobble have the cutoff at 100 hz with the track playing. Now increase the cutoff untill you start hearing your kick cut through the mix. Also the right compression on the kick is paramount. Try a Ratio of 3:1 to start off with, lower the threshold all the way put the attack to say 1.5 seconds and release at about 150-200ms. Solo the kick and increase the threshold until you feel it is tight and thumping enough. Of course this is just a guideline you will have to play around with the settings in the compressor but this will get you started.

this is perfect, i will upload the updated track here after work :D

Congojack

Post by Congojack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:40 pm

elyhess wrote:

this is perfect, i will upload the updated track here after work :D
No worries bud, looking forward to hearing it :)
Soundcloud

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:21 am

okay, updated version is my signature.

Dystinkt

Post by Dystinkt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:26 pm

parametric eq 2, wub knows