Question about remixing

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
elyhess

Question about remixing

Post by elyhess » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:12 am

basically i am trying to remix a song, im using the intro of the song which is slowly going to lead into a drop. but heres the thing, the tempo of the song is track is 140, and the tempo of the entire song is 140, so everything is beatmatched, but my problem is that no matter what beat i put in it, i cant seem to make it fit well. the song is called "My Love by Sia

when i hit play and turn on the metronome to see if they sync up correctly i feel like the metronome is going too fast for the track it should be matching up with, how can i adjust them so it sounds correct? are they not correctly beat-matched?
Last edited by elyhess on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

efence

Re: Problem with my newest song

Post by efence » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 am

how do you know its 140(the track your remixing) try to actually beat match it/sync it with a beat actually at 140....also if its a live drummer might not sync because of human swing or drummers that dont hold a very acurate time when they drum.

B-Frank

Post by B-Frank » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:19 pm

I wasn't familiar with the tune so I stuck it on. I'm not sure where you sourced the Tempo but that as far as my ears go (they have to be quite accurate as a DJ) I definitely don't think that is 140... It is a fair bit slower.
Abstrakt.

Come check out my fothermucking soundcoud:

Something TOTALLY different. Really enjoyed this badboy and the melodies.

Soundcloud

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Ok, for some reason i thought logic had a thing that told you the tempo, and it wass saying 140, which was what my entire song was :)

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:35 pm

so there is not a way i can set the tempo of the sia song to saaay 120, so that it plays perfectly with a 120 tempo beat?

mitchAUS

Post by mitchAUS » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:52 pm

elyhess wrote:so there is not a way i can set the tempo of the sia song to saaay 120, so that it plays perfectly with a 120 tempo beat?
Yeah time stretching

CE9958

Post by CE9958 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:43 pm

In logic you can use the flex feature to beatmatch. just turn the metronome on, start the flex engine and get to work. make sure you select the polyphonic option though otherwise shit will get all bizarre and what not.
---Like on Facebook---
http://www.facebook.com/weneedtoxaler

Here's a little remix thing I've been working on... :i:
Soundcloud

lloydy

Post by lloydy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Or use logic's bpm detector in the metering tools,i have used it and it is pretty accurate.
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

dubbyconqueror

Post by dubbyconqueror » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Yeah, you could timestretch the original song, but if its too drastic and you're not going for a crazy timestretched vibe its not gonna sound good... Have you ever considered trying to... you know... Make your song not in 140? :lol:
I know it sounds absolutely crazy but dubstep doesn't have to be at 140 to be dubstep

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:29 pm

dubbyconqueror wrote:Yeah, you could timestretch the original song, but if its too drastic and you're not going for a crazy timestretched vibe its not gonna sound good... Have you ever considered trying to... you know... Make your song not in 140? :lol:
I know it sounds absolutely crazy but dubstep doesn't have to be at 140 to be dubstep
if you had read my previous post i said i had been trying to set it at a tempo of 120 :P

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm

So this song definatly has a bunch of tempo changes, which is making it very hard to beatmatch is there a way to make the track play a constant bpm? without having to tempo map it?

i dont really care what the tempo of my overall track is, but i just want to be able to easily match up a beat to the intro and then make it drop.

Do i need to find out what the BPM for every part of the clip and then tempo map it in logic? and then will my beat match up?

( i actually went on Sia's sound cloud and it says the original BPM of the song is 90 ) but my bpm counter shows it fluctuating
should i just set it to 90 and should i be able to get a nice beat fit into it?)

elyhess

Re: Beatmatching/ tempo map

Post by elyhess » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 am

is there anyone that can help me? i just want to add a small beat to this shit and then make a killer drop. but i cant seem to match the tempos for shit!

elyhess

Beat matching

Post by elyhess » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 am

Hello all i am using logic 9 pro, and i am running into some problems working on this new song of mine

im trying to use this song "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtM_cc4SPJI"

basically im using the intro out of this song, and i will eventually use some of the lyrics but ive been trying to match up a beat to the intro for quite some time now. if you'll play the song i linked youll notice that basically the entire song does not have any drums.

So i'm just wondering, if there are no drums to "beatmatch" how can i match up a beat to this intro that sounds nice?

ive already tried several of ways but i just want to know if im doing it wrong..

basically what ive done is ive tried putting Logics BPM reader on the track but it doesnt come up with a definite BPM, it fluctuates thru-out the song.. even tho when i go on Sia's soundcloud and find this song it says that the original BPM is 90, although in the BPM reader im getting readings anywhere from 86-90..

so my question still is, how can i match this song up with a beat that will sound nice and match up perfectly?

jetpack

Re: Question about remixing

Post by jetpack » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 am

The song is 90 BPM, by my research. You could snag a copy of Adobe Audition and cut the song into measures to help when timestretching it.
jetpack from Saint Louis, MO USA

New WIP "Explode"
Soundcloud

jetpack

Re: Beat matching

Post by jetpack » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:48 am

Having multiple threads about the same question will not get answers faster.

http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=224071

New WIP "Explode"
Soundcloud

elyhess

Re: Beat matching

Post by elyhess » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:53 am

jetpack wrote:Having multiple threads about the same question will not get answers faster.

http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=224071

i just thought a new thread was in order considering this one has a slightly different topic

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:55 am

im a little confused, shouldnt i be able to just set the tempo to 90 it should be matching really easily?

jetpack

Post by jetpack » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 am

elyhess wrote:im a little confused, shouldnt i be able to just set the tempo to 90 it should be matching really easily?
You would think. I had the same problem remixing "Someone Like You" by Adele. I believe these were recorded live with no click. I just loaded a few cuts (that i made in Audition) into Slicex in FL, made slices and timestretched each piece. Came out pretty good. Tedious though.

New WIP "Explode"
Soundcloud

elyhess

Post by elyhess » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:23 am

Ok, finally someone who knows whats up!

this is exactly what i need to do, and im totally not afraid to, i really want this to come out super sexy and smooth.

would i be able to just do the same thing you did but still in logic? i can timestretch peices in logic and i can also slice them up, or does audition do something that logic does not?

what exactly are the steps i need to do? like what exactly am i doing? and how much do they need to be time stretched?

if i could just get a wee bit more info :D still new to all this

so like what should i do first?? slice up my song measure by measure, but then what? timestretch each measure by how much and what exactly is this tedious process going to do?

mitchAUS

Post by mitchAUS » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:21 am

Man just learn how to use flex editing.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov09/a ... p_1109.htm

You can also chop the vocal word by word, or even by syllables where required. Then re sequence that. You get absolutely none of the artefacts of time stretching then. Can be a problem if the original already has a thick reverb or delays though. Works the best on dry vocals imo
Basically to do that change logics preferences so that you when u click on the top half of the region its in pointer mode and the bottom half is on marquee.
Then you can highlight words by clicking and dragging on the bottom section of the sample and then once the word/syllable is selected you can drag it into position.
Combine this and flex time and u will be able to shape the vocal performance to fit your song.